Sunday, September 22, 2019

Live Love


Romans 12:9-21


Good morning!  We are continuing on through the second half of chapter 12 in Paul’s letter to the Romans.  We’ve moved into a more practical section of instruction and exhortation about how to live the Christian life.

Last week, Carl shared the ultimate secret of how to live the Christian life.  Do you remember?  It is found at the beginning of Romans 12 in verse 1, “Offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God—this is your true and proper worship.”  This doesn’t mean our outward body alone.  Body here includes our physical body and also our minds as verse 2 alerts us, “Stop conforming to the pattern of this world.  Be transformed by the renewing of your mind.”


Carl also shared about spiritual gifts as Paul wrote about them in verses 6-8.  In thinking of last week’s passage and preparing for today’s passage, I was reminded of I Corinthians 1:4-9:

I always thank my God for you because of His grace given you in Christ Jesus. 5 For in Him you have been enriched in every way--with all kinds of speech and with all knowledge-- God thus confirming our testimony about Christ among you. Therefore you do not lack any spiritual gift as you eagerly wait for our Lord Jesus Christ to be revealed. He will also keep you firm to the end, so that you will be blameless on the day of our Lord Jesus Christ. God is faithful, who has called you into fellowship with His Son, Jesus Christ our Lord. 1 Corinthians 1:4-9

As we go into today’s passage, this must be our foundation:  Jesus Christ.  It is in Him that we have been enriched.  We are not lacking.  We are tremendously blessed in Christ.  It is through Christ that we are kept firm to the end.  We will be blameless on the day of our Lord Jesus Christ.  God is faithful.  That is our starting point.  Let’s pray.

Lord God, show us something freshly today.  Encourage us in how we live and act.  Proclaim Your great Name through us.  We pray in Jesus’ Name, amen.

Let’s look at Romans chapter 12 starting in verse 9:

Love must be sincere. Romans 12:9

The following verses are going to show us several examples of love in action.  You’ve heard the saying that actions speak louder than words.  That’s what we will see here.  The idea is that in our living, Christ who is in us would be apparent in our actions.  Sincerity, genuineness in love is key.  In fact, it is a necessity.  For love to be love, it must be sincere. 

I don’t think there is anyone who isn’t turned off by hypocrisy and even the hint of it.  Just on Friday, a friend shared an encounter that they had had with a person I’ve not met.  I have only seen this person in a video in a sort of “candid” interview.

My friend had gone into a meeting with several people he had not met before.  As a courtesy and a demonstration of friendliness, he just went around the room to shake hands before the meeting started.  The first person he encountered introduced himself by his first name and warmly shook his hand.  The second person who is a peer of the first person looked at my friend’s outstretched hand, then looked him in the face, and then returned to typing on his computer without speaking.  Ouch!

Now, I have these contrasting pictures in my mind.  I’ve seen this person in a prepared video, and he seems like a decently friendly and generally likeable guy.  On the other side, my friend has experienced what seemed to be a completely unnecessary rebuff from the same person.  There is some kind of disconnect in this case.

May we be sincere in love.  May our actions be consistent.  Yes, we will face all sorts of situations.  But overall, let us strive to put love genuinely first.

Hate what is evil; cling to what is good. Romans 12:9

I think we can look back to verse 2 that we already mentioned.  We are to be transformed by the renewing of our minds.  We need to be transfigured, made spotless.  So, we shouldn’t be exposing ourselves to thinking and information and media and movies and images with content which is ungodly.  We should turn from these things.  In Psalm 101:3, David wrote that he would not set wicked things before his eyes, rather that his eyes would be on the faithful.  Let’s be devoted to what is good.

Be devoted to one another in love. Honor one another above yourselves. Romans 12:10

Philippians 2:3 says it this way, “with humility consider (or value) others better than yourself.”  Does anyone do this naturally?  I don’t think so.  Only a mind renewed by the Holy Spirit could possibly do this.  Again, I look back to verse 2.  We are to be transformed.  We don’t transform ourselves by our own effort (though we can hinder it by our own choices.)  We need to invite the Lord to work in our hearts.

I will say that it is not a bad thing to think of ways you can honor others.  Ask God and fellow believers to give you ideas.  Serving is one key way to honor others.  Encouraging and offering compliments are other ways.  Keep in mind that love must be sincere, so if you’re thinking of saying something that you don’t mean, think again.

Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor, serving the Lord. Romans 12:11

I have been posting a quote at my desk for years.  The one I selected for posting at my desk this past week happened to come from Ravi Zacharias.  It says,

“You can never understand what a distraction is until you understand what the purpose or goal is.”

Proverbs 28:14 says, “Whoever hardens their heart falls into trouble.”  Stay soft to the things of God.  Stay “stirred up.”  Don’t be distracted.

Everyone is unique.  Something that gets one person excited may be uninteresting to someone else.  Encourage one another.  Spur one another on to love and good deeds.  (Hebrews 10:24)

Be joyful in hope, Romans 12:12

I caught a story this week about a service non-profit working in childrens’ hospitals in Atlanta.  The reporter followed a pair of clowns who were sharing physical comedy and songs and jokes that really ministered to the kids who were definitely laughing and parents who shared their thoughts in separate interviews.  The group calls their work humorology.  Though it is now viewed as a blessing, there was a time where it was not so well accepted.

Some doctors haven’t appreciated them.  In the early going, the humorology founder met a doctor.  The doctor told him, “Clowns don’t belong in a hospital.”  And he responded, “Neither do children.”

Another of the clowns shared how their work is a ministry because they are connecting with kids and adults and staff and are trying to show love.  Another shared how though the children might be in pain, they are not sad.  They can still laugh and experience joy even amidst the sorrow.

We too should be joyful in hope.  There is a certainty in our hope.  It is a cause for joy … Romans 5:5 says, “Hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit whom He has given us.”  Christian hope is like the hope of interest paid on a loan.  Though it has not yet been received, it is guaranteed.  Be joyful!

Patient in affliction, Romans 12:12

In John 16:33, Jesus told us we will all experience trouble.  Therefore, we must develop patience.

I have a sense that God allows some things to happen specifically for developing patience.  I thought of a couple of examples, but then I decided they were more about teaching me wisdom and prudence than patience.  God is able to teach more than one thing in the same lesson though.

Faithful in prayer. Romans 12:12

For this one, I want to show a short video of Herschel Martindale.  Herschel is the speaker in the video series we’ve been watching at 9:45.  He also happens to be a key person in the founding of Clemson Community Church.  He celebrated his 90th birthday earlier this year.

I find it a bit funny, but Herschel is supposed to be asking for prayer.  Instead, well, you’ll see.


We should seek to maintain communion, connection, with God.  Praying continually (I Thessalonians 5:17).

Share with the Lord's people who are in need. Romans 12:13

This is one to think about and to plan for looking for times and places where you can support those in need.  There are also chances to bless in an immediate need.  On Friday, one of my coworkers took up a collection to bless another coworker whose niece died this week after a difficult battle with cancer.

It turns out that a significant amount of their extended family lives out west and were staying with this one family here.  My coworker had found out about this, and wanted to bless them and to help provide for their needs in hosting and caring for their own extended family.  It was incredibly thoughtful and it was something that needed quick action.

Practice hospitality. Romans 12:13

When I think of hospitality, I think about my Aunt Joan.  She never had many valuable possessions though she did have quite a collection of memorabilia and clothes.  She never married though there were many suitors over the years.  She cared for her mother until she died.  She never was much of a cook.  In fact, I can’t recall eating a single thing that I know my aunt made.  She never owned a home.  The “house” she did live in for the last 10-15 years was maybe 1000 sq. ft. duplex which was more than enough space for one person.

The thing was there was always something going on at my aunt’s house.  She was constantly entertaining sizeable groups of friends and relatives in that tiny house of hers.  One saying used to describe these events would be that there were so many people in such a small space “you couldn’t stir ‘em with a stick.”

People who could cook would cook food to bring to my aunt’s gatherings.  There were friends who were basically adopted into the family.  Even though I lived hours away, I knew some of them.

My aunt didn’t have any valuable material things to give.  She didn’t serve, at least not in the sense of doing works.  Other people including my parents would come and clean her house even before my aunt got sick.  A germaphobe would not have been comfortable there.

But … my Aunt Joan was the most loving, most hospitable person you will ever meet.  She always thought you were wonderful and beautiful and she would tell you.  Even when you thought it was completely absurd, her confidence in her own opinion was infectious.  She was always glad to see you, and she was sincerely glad.  You just wanted to be around her, everyone did.

She could sing though she rarely did that anymore.  She would go and sing in funerals of her friends up into her 80’s.  In fact, she postponed her first chemotherapy appointment so that she could go sing at someone else’s funeral.  That was my Aunt Joan.

She was not only incredibly thoughtful and caring.  She was funny.  She would say the most hilarious things.  Even when she was in the hospital for her cancer, she was still putting on makeup.  Someone asked why she was bothering to put on makeup in the hospital.  Her reply was she wanted them to think she was worth saving.

Last year, the Wednesday before Thanksgiving, we were on the way to spend the holiday with my parents.  As usual, we had to drive through the town where my aunt lived.  She was in a nursing home facility then.  I thought it was getting too late to stop.  My mom let us know as we were driving that we should stop anyway.  She knew we needed to stop that very night, so we did.  Melissa and I and our kids all were there.  I’m sitting by the bedside of my aunt with Elijah in my lap.  My mom texts me and says maybe we shouldn’t take Elijah in because how bad my aunt is doing.  Too late for that.

She was so weak, and breathing was difficult, but she knew we were there and knew who we were.  We sang for her as was one of our usual things to do when we were visiting.  We prayed for her.  She was so tired, fading in and out of consciousness, and it was getting late, so we got up to leave, saying our goodbyes.  Her goodbyes and thanks for our visit followed us into the hall.  I could hear her voice clearly blessing us and looking forward to see us again and loving all of us.  As hearty and gracious as she gave her goodbye, I expected I would visit her again on our return trip from my parent’s.

But no, she died that same night.  I still marvel when I think of it.  There she was loving and blessing us, making us feel special and appreciated.  Words cannot express how much I miss her.

The command is to practice hospitality.  You won’t necessarily get it right the first time, but keep practicing.  There’s no such thing as too much love.  Hospitality is bigger than you might imagine.  It’s not about cooking or turned down beds.  It’s about love.

Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse. Romans 12:14

I think this may be easier said than done when you are seriously persecuted.  We need to remember that a persecutor is a lost person who may not know the wrong that they are doing.  I’m not in any way trying to justify wrongdoing.  It’s just that if they are persecuting others, the persecutor is already under the curse of judgment.  They need Christ.

When someone has done me a favor or good especially, if I know they are an unbeliever, I have prayed Lord do not forget their kindness to me, your child.

Rejoice with those who rejoice; mourn with those who mourn. Romans 12:15

Neither of these is always easy to do, but sometimes rejoicing is more difficult than mourning.  I remember when I was a student at the university.  A group of us was together at the amphitheater.  A friend of someone in the group had gotten a scholarship.  We all were happy, at least outwardly.  I remember going back to God with that one specifically.  I was jealous.  Why did that person get a scholarship like that but I didn’t.  I don’t know why that one was tough for me, but some situations require more humility from us than others.

Some translations will say to weep with those who weep rather than mourn with those who mourn.  It is more about the display of sadness.  I think we can keep that in mind that in those times where we don’t know what to say, we don’t need to say a lot.  A few words of acknowledgement and comfort can be enough.  I remember talking to one of the residents at Brookdale after his wife had died.  He was frustrated that someone introduced him saying he had just lost his wife.  He said, “I didn’t lose her.  I know where she is.  She’s with Christ.”  We can learn what to say over time.  It is a loving thing to be united in grief.

Make an effort to go to visitations and funerals.  They are both a privilege and a responsibility.  It’s not easy a lot of times, but it is good to support family and friends and coworkers.  I remember a card I got after attending a funeral where I never even had the chance to talk to my friend and coworker.  He wanted me to know that just seeing me there was a comfort to him.  Don’t underestimate the value of your presence alone.

Live in harmony with one another. Romans 12:16

What is harmony?  It is not unanimity.  It is agreement and congruity.  Things fit together but they are not the same thing.  We cherish the same views and understanding.

Do not be proud, but be willing to associate with people of low position. Romans 12:16

Is there anyone who went to see the Downton Abbey movie?  Do you know the series?  A PBS high-style drama focused on the intricacies of a British manor in the early part of the 20th century.  The cast of characters spans the whole range from the Lord and Lady of the manor to the servants and tenants.  I haven’t seen any Downton Abbey since the first season, but I did see a review of the movie.

One of the recurring questions of the series and the movie was whether inequality must breed enmity? According to the review, the once-and-for-all answer of this final movie was an emphatic, no.  Thankfully, the movie shuns the thought that merit is only found in those who rise to high positions.  At the same time, it illustrates that although everyone cannot attain to a high position, we shouldn’t presuppose that no one should.

All people are valuable in God’s eyes.  (John 3:16)

Do not be conceited. Romans 12:16

What is conceit?  Literally in the Greek here, it means not to be wise in your own eyes.  The Merriam-Webster dictionary defines it to have excessive appreciation of one's own worth or virtue.  We talked about humility earlier and putting others ahead of ourselves.  Part of that means not to have too high of an opinion of ourselves.

Remembering people’s names and greeting them is a good way to value them.  I greeted a lady at work on Friday by name who I don’t see often.  I asked her how she was doing.  She laughingly said she was doing pretty good if someone “important” like me knew her name.  I laughed in return and said I didn’t know about being especially important, but I reassured her that I did know her name and she was an important person.

Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Romans 12:17

This can be hard to do, especially when it’s a sibling.  We are going to have to face facts that we will from time to time have to overlook an offense.  There is a proverb about this.  Proverbs 19:11 tells us that wisdom gives patience.  And, it is to your glory to overlook an offense.  Do you want to be prestigious?  Overlook an offense that comes your way.  Do not respond in kind.

Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everyone. Romans 12:17

This is really hard.  What does this mean?  Jesus did not do what was right in the eyes of everyone.  I think we should go ahead and combine it with the next phrase.

If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone. Romans 12:18

I think we can consider the “if it is possible” and “as far as it depends on you” to apply to both thoughts of doing what is right in the eyes of everyone and living at peace with everyone.  I hope for you this is always possible.  However, I do not think that it will always be the case.

Again, this is a matter of prayer, the Spirit working in us, and seeking counsel.  It is not easy to figure out certain situations.  Living at peace often has to do with honor and respect.  If someone does not feel respected, then it is a lot easier to get frustrated.  Do you treat people with respect, thinking more highly of them than you do of yourself?

Matthew 5:9 is a good encouragement to pursue being a peacemaker.  “Blessed are the peacemakers for they will be called the children of God.”

Do not take revenge, my dear friends, but leave room for God's wrath, for it is written: "It is mine to avenge; I will repay," says the Lord.  On the contrary: "If your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink. In doing this, you will heap burning coals on his head." Romans 12:19-20

The two quotes in these verses are Old Testament passages.  The first is from Deuteronomy 32:35, the second from Proverbs 25:21-22.

Judgment and vengeance are not our responsibility.  God will handle this.  We on the other hand should treat an enemy with kindness.

There is some differences in the way commentators regard the last phrase about heaping burning coals.  I think to our minds, this would mean the enemy would be humiliated to have his enemy treat him well.  There are some who think that heaping burning coals is to provide coals for restarting a fire, in other words a blessing.  Either way, the idea is the kindness challenges the enemy’s thinking, blesses him, and hopefully makes him a friend.  Paul did stop quoting Proverbs 25:22 before he reached the end.  The result of helping an enemy is that “the Lord will reward you.”  You will be blessed, too.

Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good. Romans 12:21

Herschel mentioned being an overcomer.  Romans 8:37 says that we are in fact more than overcomers.   What is our expectation?  Will we always get what we want or expect?  Maybe not.  But may we not be twisted or corrupted by evil.

The devil cannot create anything new, he can only corrupt what God has made.  And, he’s constantly at work trying to derail, to distract, to disturb the way of God.  We shouldn’t be surprised when confronted or challenged.  And, we should not be overcome, but rather we should seek to overcome.  How?  By offering our bodies as living sacrifices, by being transformed by the renewing of our minds, by loving others sincerely.  God has won the victory in Christ.  We can have confidence to walk in the light as He is in the light.

Let’s pray.

Lord God, enable us to live out of these many exhortations we have looked at today.  Glorify Your Name through Your people, we pray.  Amen.

No comments: