Sunday, February 9, 2014

Light and Darkness

I John 1:5-2:2
Good morning everyone!  Welcome as we dive into the second week of our series on the book of I John.  Today, we are going to look into the nature and purity of God and contrast is against the darkness.  Last week when Carl introduced this series, he talked about the confrontational nature of the book of I John amid the beautiful promises that we memorize and hang on to dearly.  In today’s passage, right away, we get our first taste of John’s pointed identification of error.  He does not waste time in sounding the alarm.

Before we tackle these 12 verses, let’s pray and ask God to give us His insight and understanding.

God, You indeed are light, and in You, there is no darkness at all.  We pray that You would give us understanding in this passage today.  Please help us to hone in on what we can apply in our own lives from Your Word.  Thank You for Your love.  We worship You.  In Jesus’ name.  Amen.

Beginning with verse 5 …

This is the message we have heard from him [Jesus] and declare to you: God is light; in Him there is no darkness at all.  I John 1:5

I think the first statement is straightforward enough, right?  God is light.  He is perfect and pure.  In I Timothy, it says that God is light and lives in unapproachable light (6:16).  In the Psalms, it says that he wraps Himself with light as a garment. (104:2)  Jesus as a part of God declared that He was the light of the world and that He had received everything from His Father. 

What about us?  What about apart from Christ?  Until we are made into light, then we are darkness (Ephesians 5:8).  We do not possess the ability to find our way apart from Jesus.  We are completely in darkness.

I was at work a week ago, and I saw this calendar on a coworker’s desk for the month of January.  I’d been looking at it every now and then all month.  It is such a fantastic picture, that I was actually able to google it and show it to you.

I love the fact that you can see through the wave and even catch a glimpse of the shore.  It won some awards in photography competition.  I think this is one of the really big turtles, but to me, it looks small in the picture because of the fish eye effect of the lens.

Back in September, our family was at the beach.  We had the blessing of seeing a sea turtle nest hatch one night while we were there.  About 100 turtles hatched that night.  It was a combination of really cute and amazing.

What was amazing to me wasn’t so much this awe inspiring sense of the beauty of nature.  It was the fact that any turtle survives to adulthood.  There are people there working so diligently to ensure that all of those turtles which hatch make it to the ocean.  They patrol the beach each night to see if there is going to be a hatch that night.  They even move nests when they are too close to the water or in too busy of an area.  Many of these folks are retirees, so it is an activity that they can keep busy with and look forward to.

Here’s a couple of minute video from our trip.  I apologize that it is not motion picture quality, but it was like ten or eleven at night.  The artificial lights that you see are red or green.  I think this was taken on an iPod because that is what we had at the time.

As we watched these little guys going down to the water, they seemed to almost desperately need the lamps and flashlights that you saw in the video.  Without that, they would have been all over the place.  Then, even still, once they did reach the water, a single wave would push them back 20 or 30 feet or more.

I’m sure that the sea turtles get along a lot better in water than they do on sand, but compared to a decent sized fish, I’m sure they are really slow movers.  If they were too close to the surface, they’d be a tasty treat for a bird.  They are reptiles, they’ve got to breath.

So back to my epiphany while looking at the first picture I showed you.  Sitting there in the office looking at that picture, I finally observed out loud, it’s almost miraculous that any of those turtles survives to adulthood.  You know how you get these flashes of understanding.  You’re just shocked.  (You remember in Ratatouille when Ego eats the Ratatouille at the end, and there’s this freeze frame and flash back to his childhood.  The spoon just falls from his hand.)

In my case about the turtles, it was the realization that it is a miracle that any of those turtles gets to adulthood.  There is no way that any of those turtles by their own initiative can insure their survival.  If any one of those turtles swims or crawls anywhere other than God’s path for them, then they are dead.  They can’t outswim another fish.  They can’t hide in the open ocean.

The lady at the beach that night said they needed to swim 200 miles to reach the Sargasso Sea where they could hide in the seaweed and find necessary food to grow up.  When I looked it up yesterday, it turns out the Sargasso is about 600 miles away from where we saw the eggs hatch.

These little turtles could barely get themselves in the water under the cover of darkness.  What should you expect to happen to them in the open water in daylight?  It is only by God’s leading and protection that a single one of those turtles has a chance at survival.

What about us then?  Are we any different than the sea turtles?  Can we find our way in the darkness?  Can we protect ourselves if we are exposed to danger and harm?  Don’t we need to stay in the light that God has provided us?  Can we hope to fare any better than the turtles without God’s leading and direction?

If we claim to have fellowship with Him yet walk in the darkness, we lie and do not live by the truth. I John 1:6

In II Corinthians 6:14, Paul writes this question, “What fellowship can light have with darkness?”  If God is light, pure light, without darkness, then He cannot contain or be connected to any darkness at all.

Thinking back to the sea turtles, why would we want to walk in darkness?

What is darkness?  Absence of light?  Well, yes, but take it a step further.  What do we gain with light, when light is present?  We can see.  There is clarity.  What is the opposite of that?  Confusion, obscurity?

The second definition for darkness in Noah Webster’s 1828 dictionary is this, “Obscurity; want of clearness or perspicuity; that quality or state which renders any thing difficult to be understood; as the darkness of counsels.”

Let me tell you guys a funny story.  I told the folks in the book study for How People Grow that I really desired to grow in the area of eating.  Not that I would eat more, but that I would eat less.  I’ve always had this thing with food that I get some kind of comfort value from food that is not in line with what it should be.  So, if I’m bummed or stressed or tired or feeling like I’m not in control of my life, a fistful of chips or a block of cheese or whatever will somehow make my life better.

I’m not saying food is bad or wrong.  It’s also not bad or wrong to enjoy food.  God Himself promised to the people of Israel again and again to bring them into the Promisedland, a land flowing with?  Milk and honey.  I’m just saying you can eat for the wrong reasons and that I’m the chief of sinners.

I guess the Lord has been bugging me about it for a while, but I just did my own thing like always.  It was kind of my own little Gnostic heresy.  “It doesn’t matter because it’s just matter.”  Even in the past when I would lose weight, I was always trying to figure out some angle where I could eat something with freedom.  The last one I remember was trying to see if I could lose weight by eating as much as I wanted following a diabetic diet.  When Fred switched to a diabetic diet, he lost weight.  It should work for me, right?  You know what?  That didn’t work either.

I lost 30 lbs one time on a Diet 7Up and sugar free peppermint bubble gum diet.  As long as there was something unlimited for me, then I could feel like I wasn’t “trapped” by my diet.

I’ve known it for a long time, and I came to this realization that I was not walking in the light with respect to food.  Why is God not sufficient for me in facing my trials?  Why does a half a box of Cheese-Its have any impact on my attitude?  If I’m going to heaven where I will have every good thing, why am I worried today about whether or not I can eat 5 Cheetos or 500?  My thinking about food was obscured, clouded, and not right.

 We can also have wrong thinking and be in darkness when we use the wrong standard.  God gives us the Bible as our standard.  Whenever we get tangled up with the wrong standard, then we can be left believing the wrong things.  The Word tells us that Satan masquerades as an angel of light (II Corinthians 11:14).  There are plenty of places for wrong standards out there.

I’ll go on with the weight loss thing.  I’ve been sharing this thing with a few folks to get their help and encouragement.  One guy at work is trying to quit smoking.  I forwarded him some of my thoughts about eating to try and encourage him to have a right attitude about smoking, extra ammunition as it were.

It turns out, he’s given me more encouragement than anyone about exercising than anyone else I’ve talked to.  He was talking to me about not weighing a scale and using body fat table to check my progress.  Well, the table has waist-wrist measurements in half inches and weight in 5 lb increments.  Even if you’re doing really good, you don’t lose a half an inch or 5 lbs a week.  It turns out that according to this table, my body fat percentage is actually going up since I’ve really changed my eating habits.

So, I’m like that can’t be right.  I’m wondering how I should be measuring this stuff, and so I figure if I measure my stomach around my waist where my pants fit rather than my spare tire, then I’ll get a better result.  Better means lower.

I measure my waist, where I wear my pants, and it’s 38 inches.  38 inches!  I wear size 34 pants.  Now, I’ve got a mechanical engineering degree.  I know enough physics to know that you can’t put a 38 inch waist inside a 34 inch circle.  So, I go and pull out my pants and start measuring.  All my pants are marked 34/32, meaning 34” in the waist and 32” in the inseam.

Here are the waist measurements of all my slacks from end of the button hole to the point where the button is sewed on.  Are you ready for this?  36, 35 ½, 35 ½, 36.5, 37, 35 ¾. 

There is a huge variation, and the average is more than 2 inches greater than the size printed on the pants.  What is written on the pants (size 34) has nothing to do with how they are actually put together. 

Let me drop in one more caveat.  God does not look at external appearances.  He looks at the heart.  What the scale or the body fat table says should not be the ultimate standard.  The standard should be whether we walk in the light in every area of our lives.  Let God inform us on where we need to be and what we need to be doing.  There is this old song from Charlie Peacock called Monkeys at the Zoo.  Let’s listen to it now.  We’ll have the lyrics up on the overhead so that you can follow along.

Monkeys at the Zoo
Charlie Peacock

Will it be different now, or the same?
Will I have learned anything, or was it just a way to spend a day or two set aside for thinking thoughts about you?
If that's all it was I had a good time.

But that won't be enough for me, not this year, not anytime soon,
I have got to clean house, gotta make my bed, gotta clear my head,
It's getting kinda stuffy in here, smells sort of funky too, like monkeys at the zoo,
I have been whoring after things 'cause I wanna feel safe inside - that's a big, fat lie,
No amount of green, gold or silver will ever take the place of the peace of God.

Spirit, come flush the lies out,
Spirit, come flush the lies out.

Will it be different now, or the same? Have I changed at all?
And if you were to dive deep inside my soul would you find Jesus there, or a gaping hole?
Should I be content with my "beautiful" Christian life?

But that won't be enough for me, not this year, not anytime soon,
I have got to clean house, gotta make my bed, gotta clear my head,
It's getting kinda stuffy in here, smells sort of funky too, like monkeys at the zoo,
I have been whoring after things 'cause I wanna get everything right - that's a big, fat lie,
No amount of green, gold or silver, the perfect body, another hot toddy, work for the Lord, fame and power, power and sex, a seat at the table at the Belle Mead Country Club,
Here's the rub: nothing will ever take the place of the peace of God.

Spirit, come flush the lies out,
Spirit, come flush the lies out.

Will it be different now, or the same?
Will I have learned anything?

I mention all this in reference to darkness because if you have the wrong standard, then you very easily can draw the wrong conclusions.

What are some of the wrong standards we can follow?  There’s the stuff we think up.  There’s the stuff that other people tell us, or that we overhear.  There’s the stuff that we hear on the television.  There’s the stuff we read on the internet.  When we measure our lives by the wrong standards, then we as believers are miserable.  We don’t ever feel right.  We keep “chasing after the wind” like Solomon did and then wrote about in Ecclesiastes, which is one of the saddest books in the entire Bible.

What if we have the right focus?  What if we connect to the truth instead of artificial and inadequate substitutes?

But if we walk in the light, as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, purifies us from all sin.  I John 1:7

If we walk in the light, this enables all kind of good stuff to happen.  We can have fellowship with God and with one another.  And, we are purified from all sin.  Not only are we forgiven, which is what we most often focus on.  Don’t get me wrong.  I’m ecstatic over forgiveness.  I’m dependent on forgiveness daily.  However, there is purification from sin, too.  We don’t have to live in bondage to sin anymore (Roman 6:16).  We don’t have to present ourselves to sin anymore.  Instead, we can be slaves of righteousness. (Romans 6:18)

If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us.  I John 1:8

This topic of sin will keep coming up throughout I John.  Sin is mentioned 27 times in I John either in the verb or noun form (Strong’s words G264 and G266, hamartanō and hamartia)

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life.  (John 14:6)  If we claim to be without sin, then we have separated ourselves from Jesus.

If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness. I John 1:9

When we open up and confess, God’s response to us is in keeping with His character and His gracious commitment to us His people.  When we come to God and confess Jesus as Lord, we enter into the intimate fellowship of a covenant relationship, like marriage.   (Zechariah 8:8, Hosea who was the representative of God’s faithfulness in the midst of desertion and adultery.)

31           “The time is coming,” declares the LORD,
                “when I will make a new covenant
                with the house of Israel
                and with the house of Judah.
32           It will not be like the covenant
                I made with their forefathers
                when I took them by the hand
                to lead them out of Egypt,
                because they broke my covenant,
                though I was a husband to them,”
                declares the LORD.
33           “This is the covenant I will make with the house of Israel
                after that time,” declares the LORD.
                “I will put my law in their minds
                and write it on their hearts.
                I will be their God,
                and they will be my people.
34           No longer will a man teach his neighbor,
                or a man his brother, saying, ‘Know the LORD,’
                because they will all know me,
                from the least of them to the greatest,”
                declares the LORD.
                “For I will forgive their wickedness
                and will remember their sins no more.”
Jeremiah 31:31-34

This is the covenant God has established with us.  We are forgiven, and He will put His law in our minds and on our hearts, not the law of death, but the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus.  (Romans 8:1)

If we claim we have not sinned, we make Him out to be a liar and His word has no place in our lives. I John 1:10

So John is writing primarily against the Gnostic heresies that had already begun to spring up at the end of the first century.  These heresies would go on to become much more organized and formalized over the next two centuries or so.  Gnostics had this weird paradoxical belief with which they could have their cake and eat it, too.  Gnostics said that matter and thereby all flesh was evil.  To them, spirit was all that mattered.  Spirit was good.  These are the same guys that came up with all sorts of different reasons why Jesus wasn’t really here in the flesh.  So, here’s where it gets weird.  Since matter was the evil rather than breaking God’s righteous law (I John 3:4), then what you did in the body didn’t matter.  I know that it sounds really weird to our ears, but this was the kind of belief system they had built up.  It was completely contrary to the doctrine of God.

Let’s be careful ourselves to confess our sins quickly and not hold out thinking that we are somehow justified in any wrong behavior lest we ourselves make Jesus out to be a liar.

My dear children, I write this to you so that you will not sin. But if anybody does sin, we have one who speaks to the Father in our defense—Jesus Christ, the Righteous One. He is the atoning sacrifice for our sins, and not only for ours but also for the sins of the whole world.  
I John 2:1-2

God’s holiness demands punishment for the trespass, for the sin.  Jesus is the atonement, propitiation, appeasement.  God’s wrath is directed onto Jesus. (Isaiah 53:5)  

This idea of one who speaks in our defense is the same language that John used in his gospel to describe the Holy Spirit (John 14:16).  I find that really cool.  We have a comforter and advocate that is with us and even in us, the Holy Spirit.  We also have a defender and advocate who is with the Father which is Jesus.

The NIV text note is kind of fun.  It renders the translation, “He is the one who turns aside God’s wrath, taking away our sins.”  Jesus is our Savior, saving even the whole world.

That statement regarding the sins of the whole world does not imply universalism (or that everyone will get saved) but rather it demonstrates the impartiality of God.  (John 1:29)  We still have to believe in Jesus individually to be saved.  (Roman 3:25)  “Christ Jesus whom God put forward as a propitiation by His blood, to be received by faith.”

Earlier, we read I John 1:7 where it says that the blood of Jesus purifies us from all sin.  In Hebrews, it explains there is no forgiveness apart from the shedding of blood (9:22). 

Blood is amazing.  Our life is in our blood.  But it’s also kind of gross.  In John 6, when Jesus talked to His followers saying they must drink His blood and eat His flesh, then people started to turn away.  It was prohibited to eat blood or even flesh with blood in it according to the Old Testament law.  Now, we are instructed to “drink” it and we sing songs about it, fountains filled with blood.  I used to think that was strange, but now, I have a different feeling.  I feel sorrow at the sacrifice and loss that Jesus and the Father endured because of me.  But, I also rejoice that I have a new life because of that blood.  I am so relieved that I am clean because of the blood that Jesus shed for me.

I want to show you a short video that may help change your perspective about the blood that was shed and what it has done for you.


This is John 3:19-21.  Jesus is speaking.


It is not what we have done.  It is what God has done through us.  Let us live by the truth and come into the light.  Let us see plainly and not be deceived.  Let us put our hope in Jesus Christ alone.

Let’s pray.


Lord Jesus, it is You whom we worship.  Thank you for being our defender.  Thank you for dying on the cross for our sins.  I pray for each one here today.  I pray that they would take Your truth with them.  For those who know you, I pray that they would multiply the new life that you have given them by telling others the good news that they can have new life, too.  For those who do not know you, I pray that they would call on your Name alone and that they would believe that You are who You said You are.  The Son of God and our Savior and Lord.  In Jesus’ name.  Amen.

No comments: