Sunday, November 3, 2013

The Bitter Soldier

Good morning! Today we continue our series entitled Facing Your Enemy. This is my third consecutive week in this series. In the past, my other co-pastors have jokingly (and maybe not so jokingly) remarked that I seem to give the hardest topics to them, saving the “choice lands” for myself. Well, last week I taught on the difficult topic of lust, and the week before that, on coveting, so I think I have had at least a share of the challenging topics. This week we shift our focus to the cheery topic of – bitterness.
What exactly is bitterness? In the Bible there are two main word roots for bitterness: mar or marah or maror in Hebrew, and pikraino or pikria or pikros in Greek. In these languages, as in English, the words have multiple meanings and connotations. In English, as an adjective, the four main meanings are:
1.  Having a sharp, pungent taste or smell.
2.  Painful or unpleasant to accept or contemplate.
3.  Extremely harsh; for example, intensely cold.
4.  Anger, hurt, or resentment because of one’s experiences or a sense of unjust treatment.
The Bible uses all four of these meanings. For an example of the first meaning, Exodus 15:23, speaking of Moses and the Israelites in the desert: “When they came to Marah, they could not drink its water because it was bitter.”  For the second, speaking of Hannah who was without child, I Samuel 1:10: “In her deep anguish Hannah prayed to the Lord, weeping bitterly.” For the third, in response to Habakkuk’s complaint to the Lord about why the wicked prosper, Hab. 1:6: “I am raising up the Babylonians, that ruthless [bitter] and impetuous people, who sweep across the whole earth to seize dwellings not their own.” And for the fourth, Job (incorrectly) speaks of God speaking bitterly against him like his friends who have smeared him with lies (Job 13); also Absalom’s advisor Hushai warns Absalom who has torn the kingdom away from David that David will be bitter and will come at him like a fierce bear robbed of her cubs (2 Sam. 17:8). These are all uses of the Hebrew word.
As for the Greek word, for the first an example is the Wormwood bitter water in Revelations 8:11. For the second, we have the example of Peter, who after the rooster crowed, went outside and wept bitterly, Matt. 26:75. For the third, I did not find a clear example, but for the fourth, two examples are Acts 8:23, as Peter described Simon the Sorcerer who offered the disciples money for the power of casting out evil spirits and James 3:14 which talks about the evils of bitter envying. 
Regarding that first meaning, doing a few minutes of research, I was surprised how misinformed I was about our sense of taste. God has designed our tongues with the ability to taste what we call the bitter taste, as well as sweet, salty, sour, and (I bet you never heard of this one) umami, a Japanese word meaning savory or meaty. Yes, you have special taste buds for steak! It is also a myth that our tongues are divided into distinct regions with each kind of taste bud; they are actually scattered all around the outside of our tongue. One web site I looked at blamed this error in understanding on a mistranslation of a 1901 paper in German written by a psychiatrist. That’s wrong on so many levels simultaneously that it’s actually kind of funny. 
But our focus today is on the one kind of bitterness that God says “No” to, the one implied by that fourth meaning. It’s OK to weep bitterly, for a time; it is a natural and healthy part of grieving. But what is not healthy, not OK, is to move into a state of mind in which we go over and over again about how a person, or circumstances, or life, or God, has wronged us. And to compare our situations to those of others and complain is also not OK.
Bitterness, like envy and lust, is in our heads; that is, it is about how we think. We can act on bitterness, just like we can act on envy and we can act on lust, but any such action only comes after “stewing,” after spending a fair amount of time thinking in a particular unhealthy way.
Yesterday Isaac and I spent some time talking about pathways to bitterness. I think “pathways” is a good word because it implies a process; it communicates well the idea that bitterness doesn’t happen instantaneously but develops over time.
One pathway towards bitterness is envy. This is closely related to coveting, which we talked about two weeks ago. An apparent example is the sorcerer in Acts who was envious of what the disciples could do. But often I think envy is a lot more subtle, and it can entrap us if we are not on the watch for it.
Let me set up a generic typical situation that can lead to bitterness. You, and only you, are going through a particular trial of some kind. It could be that you are suffering from a particular malady or illness, something chronic. Or it could be that you are under continual stress due to money woes that are a product of the economy and your particular line of work rather than mistakes you have made. Or it could be that your child or your spouse suffers from something that requires you to spend great amounts of time and effort, experiences that you know others do not share. It could be that your job places demands on you far beyond what you see others going through. It could be that you have an extremely fussy and challenging baby, much more so than what other Moms seem to experience. It could be that something that comes easily and naturally to others, is extremely difficult for you, and because of this, you struggle mightily where others do it easily. (School might be an example of this.)
Whatever it is, you find yourself comparing yourself to others. You have to go through this; they don’t – how easy they have it! You have tried to share your struggles with a few others, maybe a few friends, but they just don’t get it. They are a little awkward about the subject, maybe offer well-meaning advice, but they just don’t experience it so they don’t really understand what it is like to be you in this situation. Over time, you begin to think like this more and more frequently.
A second pathway towards bitterness is unforgiveness.  Someone wrongs you, perhaps in a giant, epic way, but just as possibly in a small way. Whether this turns into bitterness depends less on the size of the wrong than it does on what you do afterwards. Maybe a friend says something mean to you, trying to be funny. Or maybe they act selfishly. Or maybe they “dis” you in the presence of others because they really want to be friends with someone else. Or it can be something much more serious, from cheating on a spouse, to physical or other forms of abuse, to stealing from you, to countless other ways we can really hurt one another. Regardless, you are shocked and hurt. The person might apologize or they might not; they might not even know that they have done anything to hurt you, or they do know and are deliberately refusing to apologize; they may even think it is funny. However the situation unfolds, you just keep thinking about it. You find yourself going over conversations you had, going over conversations you would like to have, imagining what worse thing they will do next, what thing you will do next, etc. etc. You are going straight down that pathway towards bitterness; you may already well have arrived. A strong sign that you have arrived in this case is that you think less about specific things the person or people have done, but instead tend to think of them as “how they are.” It may not be any one big thing, but lots of little things. If you are bitter towards your parents or your spouse or towards someone else that you spend huge amounts of time with, this is often how it evolves.
A third pathway (and I am sure there are many others) is disillusionment. This has some similarities to unforgiveness, but the difference is that nothing has been done specifically to you directly; you may be experiencing collateral damage, but the act itself was not done to you. An example of this is a pastor or other church leader who has an affair or has been doing some other bad thing for some time and is suddenly caught. You are disillusioned with him or her, and that is not inappropriate. But perhaps as you watch the repercussions spread, you begin to become disillusioned with your whole church, or even with church as a whole. I have met many people on our outreaches, at school, and elsewhere, who have stories like this. They speak of having been “hurt by church” and have responded by no longer being willing to join with a local body of believers. Disillusionment can of course occur in other contexts: you can become disillusioned with your company, or your political party if you are politically active, or some other charity you help, or a sporting organization, etc. Once again, if you are thinking about this over and over and are starting to consider making general decisions based on the actions of a few individuals, you are likely well on your way to bitterness, if you are not already there.
Well, I want to make a few specific comments about what to do if you have “arrived” into bitterness via any of these pathways, and then I want to talk about what Scripture says about avoiding these “paths” altogether.
First of all, bitterness is by its nature self-centered. Sometimes people don’t think so, because it seems like their focus is on the ones who don’t understand what they are going through, or on the one that hurt them, but the reality is that they are feeling sorry for themselves, and their focus is actually on how they feel. Staying in this state for an extended length of time only leads to bad things. In self-centeredness it is difficult to connect to anyone, including God. And I don’t think I can emphasize this strongly enough: self-centeredness leads to more self-centeredness. We become entrapped by our thinking patterns; to use an analogy from an old Christian novel, “cobwebs” turn into “cables.” 
If your pathway is envy while undergoing a trial, the real issue is that you feel alone. It may be that your friends don’t understand what you are going through, or it may be that they are trying to help you by getting your focus to change from inward to outward. In any case, the best comfort and support you will find is from God Himself. Real heartfelt prayer, prayer not just telling God how you feel but also asking Him to come to be near to you, to comfort you, is a powerful way to find God’s comfort. He answers these prayers! Also, memorizing and meditating on Scripture is another way to draw near to Him. There are so many great verses; here are just a few of my favorites:
For I am the Lord your God who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, Do not fear; I will help you. – Isaiah 41:13
When my spirit grows faint within me, it is You who watch over my way. In the path where I walk people have hidden a snare for me.  Look and see, there is no one at my right hand; no one is concerned for me. I have no refuge; no one cares for my life. I cry to You, Lord; I say, “You are my refuge, my portion in the land of the living.” – Psalm 142:3-5
Hear my cry, O God; listen to my prayer. From the ends of the earth I call to You, I call as my heart grows faint; lead me to the Rock that is higher than I. For You have been my refuge, a strong tower against the foe. – Psalm 61:1-3
Do you not know? Have you not heard? The Lord is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth. He will not grow tired or weary, and His understanding no one can fathom. He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. – Isaiah 40:28-31
If your pathway is unforgiveness, well, there is no way but to just say it, you need to either get over it or forgive. I know that sounds harsh, so let me explain. Sometimes we hold grudges over imaginary offenses, things that just aren’t real. We’re already grumpy, so we do the opposite of following 1 Corinthians 13’s way of love, which says, among other things, that love is not self-seeking (sometimes we are offended because we weren’t given the attention we wanted), love is not easily angered (sometimes we are offended over the tiniest thing – much like the basketball player who acts like he was hit by a locomotive train when barely touched so that he gets the referee to call a foul), love keeps no record of wrongs (sometimes we say, “that’s the last straw!” even though it’s a minor thing),  and love always trusts, always hopes (sometimes we assume the worst whether it is true or not). In these cases, we need to get over it, we need to get over ourselves, we need to have a talk with God where we tell Him that we are falling far short of I Corinthians 13 and ask for forgiveness and for His help.
Other times there is something real; we truly have been wronged by another. In such cases it is in our own self-interest to forgive. What I mean by this is that stewing over your hurt and angry feelings does not harm or affect the person who has hurt you; in fact, all it does is hurt you. It makes you bitter; it makes you unhappy; it keeps you from God and other people. Nelson Mandela once said that “Resentment is like drinking poison and waiting for it to kill your enemy.” 
By this I don’t necessarily mean going up to the person and telling him or her, “I forgive you,” although sometimes this is what we should do. Sometimes we may feel led to do this even when the other person doesn’t say they are sorry or show any sign at all of being repentant.
But what I do mean is that we should in our hearts, forgive the person. I like the word picture that comes up if we spell forgive as “fore-give.” That is, we are giving before the appropriate time. “Fore-giveness” isn’t so much about our emotions as it is about letting in some sense the offender go free. And in freeing them we often find that it also frees us.
This can be difficult; we don’t want to fore-give. To this I would give two stories. The first is from the Bible, Matthew 18, to be specific.
Then Peter came to Jesus and asked, “Lord, how many times shall I forgive my brother or sister who sins against me? Up to seven times?” Jesus answered, “I tell you, not seven times, but seventy-seven times [or seven times seventy]. – Matt. 18:21-22
“Therefore, the kingdom of heaven is like a king who wanted to settle accounts with his servants. As he began the settlement, a man who owed him ten thousand bags of gold was brought to him. Since he was not able to pay, the master ordered that he and his wife and his children and all that he had be sold to repay the debt. At this the servant fell on his knees before him. ‘Be patient with me,’ he begged, ‘and I will pay back everything.’ The servant’s master took pity on him, canceled the debt and let him go. – Matt. 18:23-27
“But when that servant went out, he found one of his fellow servants who owed him a hundred silver coins. He grabbed him and began to choke him. ‘Pay back what you owe me!’ he demanded. “His fellow servant fell to his knees and begged him, ‘Be patient with me, and I will pay it back.’ But he refused. Instead, he went off and had the man thrown into prison until he could pay the debt. When the other servants saw what had happened, they were outraged and went and told their master everything that had happened. – Matt. 18:28-31
“Then the master called the servant in. ‘You wicked servant,’ he said, ‘I canceled all that debt of yours because you begged me to. Shouldn’t you have had mercy on your fellow servant just as I had on you?’ In anger his master handed him over to the jailers to be tortured, until he should pay back all he owed. This is how my heavenly Father will treat each of you unless you forgive your brother or sister from your heart.”- Matt. 18:32-35
I’ve read this multiple times, but this week I was freshly grabbed by the amount of money; I like how the NIV translates this as 10,000 bags of gold. That’s an absolutely preposterous amount! The contrast to a hundred silver coins is extreme. The other thing that grabbed me was the part about choking the man. That’s pretty violent! But seriously, the point is that we as Christians have been forgiven a lot more than owing 10,000 bags of gold. We are redeemed people, bought with the price of Jesus Christ giving Himself up to crucifixion, to death on a cross, to rejection by His Father, things we can only begin to really appreciate. We simply have no right to “demand payment” which is what holding on to unforgiveness is really all about.
The second story is from Corrie ten Boom’s true account, The Hiding Place. This tells of how Corrie was imprisoned in a concentration camp for hiding Jews in WWII. Corrie was eventually freed, but not before her dear sister Betsie died in the camp. Near the end of the book she writes about how, after the war, she went all around telling about Betsie and helping people to begin to forgive and heal. At one point she went back to Germany to minister there. Here is what she writes:
“It was at a church service in Munich that I saw him, the former S.S. man who had stood guard at the shower door room in the processing center at Ravensbruck. He was the first of our actual jailers that I had seen since that time. And suddenly it was all there – the roomful of mocking men, the heaps of clothing, Betsie’s pain-blanched face.
“He came up to me as the church was emptying, beaming and bowing. ‘How grateful I am for your message, Fraulein,’ he said. ‘To think that, as you say, He has washed my sins away!’
“His hand was thrust out to shake mine. And I, who had preached so often to the people in Bloemendaal the need to forgive, kept my hand at my side.
“Even as the angry, vengeful thoughts boiled through me, I saw the sin of them. Jesus Christ had died for this man; was I going to ask for more? Lord Jesus, I prayed, forgive me and help me to forgive him.
“I tried to smile, I struggled to raise my hand. I could not. I felt nothing, not the slightest spark of warmth or charity. And so again I breathed a silent prayer. Jesus, I cannot forgive him. Give me Your forgiveness.
“As I took his hand the most incredible thing happened. From my shoulder along my arm and through my hand a current seemed to pass from me to him, while into my heart sprang a love for this stranger that almost overwhelmed me.
“And so I discovered that it is not on our forgiveness any more than on our goodness that the world’s healing hinges, but on His. When He tells us to love our enemies, He gives, along with the command, the love itself.”
If your pathway is disillusionment with the “hypocrites,” understand that, yes, there are wolves among the sheep – multiple New Testament authors warned of this. But there are mostly sheep among the sheep; sheep are sinners, but they aren’t claiming they aren’t. Growing in Christ-likeness, growing to maturity in Christ is a lifelong process for all of us! Actually it is more than a lifelong process; none of us will “arrive” before we die (unless Christ comes first). He will need to finish changing us. As sheep our primary job is to cling to the Good Shepherd; He is the one who will lead us and help us to become what we are to become.
Yes, there are complete frauds out there, and some Christian leaders are complete frauds, but most are just sinners like you and me, growing but still in need of growing. And recall that Jesus saved His harshest words for the religious people who put on airs, but showed the greatest kindness to those such as little children who humbly came to Him with nothing but a little faith.
And again, this is going to come out sounding harsh, and I am by definition not speaking this to anyone here, but when someone says they have rejected going to any kind of church fellowship because of past hurts (or whatever reason) and yet they say they are Christians sincerely following Christ, they too are hypocrites. To follow Christ means that you do what He says, and Scripture is clear that Christians are to gather together in local fellowships. It is assumed in everything said about spiritual gifts, for example. I think of I Corinthians 12:
Now if the foot should say, “Because I am not a hand, I do not belong to the body,” it would not for that reason stop being part of the body. And if the ear should say, “Because I am not an eye, I do not belong to the body,” it would not for that reason stop being part of the body. – I Cor. 12:15-16
In other words, saying you don’t fit in, or they don’t need you, is not an excuse! And going on a few verses:
The eye cannot say to the hand, “I don’t need you!” And the head cannot say to the feet, “I don’t need you!” – I Cor. 12:21
If this is true for one part of the body vs. another, how much more cannot the eye say to the entire rest of the body, I don’t need any of you! Yet that is exactly what the person who refuses to be a part of a local body is doing. He is saying he doesn’t need any of them, and that they don’t need him, both of which are completely contrary to Scripture. We all need a local body, and a local body needs every one of us.
Finally, let’s make some general statements regarding the bitter soldier. To do this, let’s look at a passage from Ephesians 4:
So I tell you this, and insist on it in the Lord, that you must no longer live as the Gentiles do, in the futility of their thinking. They are darkened in their understanding and separated from the life of God because of the ignorance that is in them due to the hardening of their hearts. – Eph. 4:17-18
This passage isn’t specifically talking about bitterness yet, but it does a number of verses later. Note here, though, that the emphasis is completely on how we “stew,” how we spend our time thinking. Thinking can be futile; it can be “dark” and “separated from the life of God.” Paul is talking about unbelievers, but then he warns us not to be like them. In other words, we can be just like them when we “stew” with our stinkin’ thinkin’. Paul is very strong in this passage; guided by the Holy Spirit, he says, don’t think this way any longer! Don’t think like an unbeliever, someone who is separated from God, who doesn’t understand God and His love and forgiveness. You are not one of these people, so don’t act like you are!
The passage goes on to describe how we have been taught to put off our old selves, which are being corrupted by deceitful desires, and instead, we are made new in the attitude of our minds, and we are to put on our new selves. It further goes on to talk about no longer being false but being completely truthful, about how we can no longer remain in anger, and about how we can no longer remain idle. It then says to be careful about what we speak, and then we have the following:
Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice. Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you. Follow God’s example, therefore, as dearly loved children and walk in the way of love, just as Christ loved us and gave Himself up for us as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God. – Eph. 4:31-5:2 
Get rid of all bitterness. All of it. And get rid of the things that often accompany bitterness, the outward actions that result from stewing in bitterness for a long time: rage, anger, brawling, slander, any kind of ill intent at all. Instead we are to be kind and compassionate, forgiving one another. Are we permitted to keep on complaining about how tough we have it compared to everyone else? No. Are we allowed to begrudge the fact that nobody really “gets” us and what we are going through? No. Can we remain angry at those who hurt us? No. Are we permitted to keep on feeling disillusioned, making generalizations, choosing to isolate ourselves from other believers? No.
We are to follow Christ’s example. Christ died for those who hated Him. His enemies were the biggest hypocrites you ever saw. And they hated Him; they spat on Him, ridiculed Him, tortured Him, and killed Him. Nobody can sympathize with what He has gone through, because nobody has ever gone through what He has gone through and nobody ever will again. And yet He loves us. He forgives us. He wants to be with us and wants us to be with Him. He is going to be with us forever. There’s no “church hopping” for Him! He will make us into His bride and we will worship Him forever. For Him, we can choose not to be a bitter soldier.

No comments: