Sunday, January 16, 2022

Who Am I? Our Identity in Christ

 
Welcome to a new series entitled “In Christ, With Christ, and For Christ: Our Identity, Belonging, and Purpose”. This series seeks to explore the answers to some of the most important questions that we can ask. The questions we explore have answers in the Bible, and my primary prayer for this series is that our speakers pass on this Biblical truth and that we all absorb deeply these answers so that they do not leave us the same as we were at the beginning of this series. We will be in this series for twelve weeks. The first four weeks are devoted to questions involving our identity, the next four weeks are devoted to the theme of relationships and specifically where we belong, and our final four weeks investigate our God-given purpose.
 
Today we look at the question, “Who am I?” It is such a short question, but it reaches to the deepest parts of us. I want to start this message with an exercise – get out a piece of paper, and answer the question for yourself: Who am I? Don’t worry about giving the “right” answer, or trying to guess the Biblical answer, or to give the answer you think you want me to have you put. Simply search yourself and answer the question as honestly as you can. Maybe try to think of three to five honest answers to this question. I’ll give you a minute to do this.

To every question we ask in this series, the world of course offers many answers of its own. It is of course extremely rare that such answers are in accordance with the truth that the Bible teaches about the answers to these questions. On the question of “Who am I?”, one of the world’s answers came a few years back through a musical called Dear Evan Hansen. I cannot recommend the musical, even though it was critically acclaimed, and even more can I not recommend the follow-up movie version, which was strongly panned by those same critics. My primary reason for recommending you stay away is not because of the quality, however, but because it propagates the world’s answers to this question. There is, no surprise, also other morally questionable content in other aspects in this story.
 
I think it is useful to look at the storyline for this musical, because it can be helpful to look at the world’s answers and see if you have been, well, sucked in by them. The themes, you will see, are very familiar, and if we thought about it, I bet we could come up with dozens of movies and other storylines that give the same kinds of answers.
 
In this story, the character Evan Hansen is an awkward high-school student who is regularly troubled by bullying and who frequently experiences social anxiety. His therapist tells him that he should write letters to himself each day detailing what will be good about that day. The show opens with Evan staring at such a letter he has written which says, “Dear Evan Hansen, today is going to be an amazing day, and here’s why: Because today, all you have to do is just be yourself. But also confident. That’s important. And interesting. Easy to talk to. Approachable. But mostly be yourself. That’s the big, that’s number one. Be yourself. Be true to yourself.”
 
The note is funny because it is relatable but also because it’s impossible. A person suffering from social anxiety is, by definition, not confident. The letter clues the audience in to the fact that Evan is dealing with a bunch of contradictory goals, and even Evan, it seems, recognizes this a little, when he tells himself to “mostly” be himself.
 
Without getting into the details of the story, the main thing that happens is that a series of events causes people to assume things about Evan that are not true. Evan attempts to correct the misunderstanding, but people do not believe him. Then, in an anxiety-producing social situation, Evan decides it is easier and maybe better for him to go along with the misunderstanding, and he turns it into “the great lie” about his life. At times he wrestles with guilt, but he continues to promote the lie for years. Finally, he comes clean about the lie. And here is how he opens his final letter: “Dear Evan Hansen, Today is going to be a good day and here’s why. Because today, no matter what else, today at least… you’re you. No hiding, no lying. Just… you. And that’s… that’s enough.

Self-acceptance. Loving yourself. Accepting yourself for who you are. Do these themes sound familiar? These are the themes of countless movies, TV shows, and books.
 
Now, let’s look at this theme in light of the Bible. We need to be careful, because there is an element of something good here – that element is the principle of self-honesty. I think of Jesus’ parable of the Pharisee and the tax collector from Luke 18:
 
“Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. The Pharisee stood by himself and prayed: ‘God, I thank you that I am not like other people—robbers, evildoers, adulterers—or even like this tax collector. I fast twice a week and give a tenth of all I get.’ But the tax collector stood at a distance. He would not even look up to heaven, but beat his breast and said, ‘God, have mercy on me, a sinner.’ I tell you that this man, rather than the other, went home justified before God. For all those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted.” – Luke 18:10-14
 
The theme of humility, of assessing oneself correctly, not looking at oneself through rose-colored glasses, is mentioned again and again in the Bible as a necessary condition for coming to God. Lying about yourself, to others, and to yourself, is a roadblock to a relationship with God. “God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble.”
 
But I am afraid that this message of “just be yourself, because you are OK, because you are fine, because you are great, or even, as in the case of Hansen, because you are enough” is wrong. People who say and think link this are much more subtle than the Pharisee in the parable, but they are actually guilty of the same sin. You are not OK, you are not fine, you are not great, and you are not enough. Yes, we should not propagate lies about ourselves to portray ourselves as what we are not. But neither should we judge ourselves using our own scales. We need to use the scales of God. And God says we are not enough. “For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.” “And the wages of sin are death.”
 
The error of Evan Hansen and countless other works of fiction is that they teach that self-acceptance is the magic cure to our character problems. They are not. Our root problems don’t go away just because we feel good about ourselves. We are broken, and we cannot fix ourselves. This gets to the core message of the gospel. Jesus came to earth, lived without sin, and died on a cross to redeem us, to rescue us from ourselves and to restore our relationship with a perfectly holy God. If you have surrendered your life to God, receiving through faith Jesus’ gift of payment for your sins, today, and every day, is a good day because you are a sinner saved by the grace of God through Jesus Christ, and I think this is a good first answer to the question, “Who am I?”
 
For a second good answer, I encourage you to think about adoption. The Little House on the Prairie TV series has many tear-jerker moments. One of my favorites is an episode called Fagin involving Albert, a boy the Ingalls find surviving in the streets that they invite to live with them. In is episode, the daughter Laura becomes jealous of the growing relationship between Pa and Albert. Albert picks up on this and runs away. Pa finds him while they are at the county fair and convinces him to watch the awards ceremony for a contest. Laura and Albert had raised an animal for this contest. Laura wins and is asked to make a statement. Albert and Pa see her, but she doesn’t see them. She says that she didn’t really win the contest, but instead, that her brother, a term she uses with emphasis and love, is responsible. Albert absolutely melts and comes running to her to hug her, and Pa melts too. I challenge you to watch this episode and not shed a tear at the end.
 
Adoption stories are powerful. They melt us, I think, because deep down our desire to be in a family, with unconditional love, is one of our greatest desires. The Bible uses adoption as a powerful symbol of our relationship with God. To better understand this symbol, we need to understand adoption in the Roman world.
 
Today, we use wills to indicate who we want to leave our possessions to after we die, and we can pick absolutely anyone at all. But in the times of the New Testament, in the Roman world, in nearly all situations, possessions could only be passed on to a person’s sons. What if you had no living sons, or what if you were estranged from your sons or thought them incapable of handling the responsibilities of managing the possessions? Then your only recourse was to adopt someone as your son who you wanted to take over the estate after you die. This person was almost never an infant, but instead could be an adult. It could even be someone older than you. When the adoption legal proceedings were completed, the adoptee would get a new name, have all his debts cancelled (paid by the estate), and would legally be able to take over the estate when you passed away. Interestingly, this legal process of adoption was irreversible. You could choose to legally separate yourself from your biological sons, but you could not do this with your adoptee.
 
The movie Ben-Hur illustrates Roman adoption. Judah Ben-Hur is a Jew who is a prisoner whose punishment is being a rower on a Roman ship. Rowing was one of the harshest punishments, in that the life was so grueling that most people died in a short amount of time. In a battle, the ship sinks and Judah saves the life of Arius, a Roman military commander. Arius’ only son has died. Thankful for Judah, by the movie’s end, Arius adopts Judah. As part of the adoption, Judah is set free from the punishment he had been serving, he is given Arius’ signet ring, and he is given a new name, “Young Arius”. He is now, irrevocably, the person that will inherit Arius’ estate. In the scene were this is pronounced, Judah (now Young Arius) says he has been given a new life, a new home, and a new father.
 
But when the set time had fully come, God sent his Son, born of a woman, born under the law, to redeem those under the law, that we might receive adoption to sonship. Because you are his sons, God sent the Spirit of his Son into our hearts, the Spirit who calls out, “Abba, Father.” So you are no longer a slave, but God’s child; and since you are his child, God has made you also an heir. – Galatians 4:4-7
 
This discussion emphasizes the legal side of adoption, and this is important, because we too have our debts cancelled, we too have our punishment lifted, we too are irrevocable heirs of the future Kingdom.
 
Some additional verses that speak of our adoption are as follows:
 
“And I will be a father to you, and you shall be sons and daughters to Me,” says the Lord Almighty. – 2 Corinthians 6:18
 
For those who are led by the Spirit of God are the children of God. The Spirit you received does not make you slaves, so that you live in fear again; rather, the Spirit you received brought about your adoption to sonship. And by him we cry, “Abba, Father.” The Spirit himself testifies with our spirit that we are God’s children. – Romans 8:14-16
 
But unlike the Roman adults who were selected as sons because of their skillsets, and unlike Judah Ben-Hur who was selected by Arius because he had helped him, we are adopted for entirely different reasons. Consider:
See how great a love the Father has bestowed on us, that we would be called children of God. And that is what we are! – I John 3:1a
 
It is not because of our works that God loves us and has adopted us. It is in spite of our bad works that He does. I think of how Jesus explains in John 16 that he will cease to be their physical representative for an unapproachable holy God. They will instead have access to the Father by praying in Jesus’ name. In explaining that it will not be like it was, Jesus tells them,
 
“No, the Father himself loves you because you have loved me and have believed that I came from God.” – John 16:27 
 
And in Romans 5, Paul further explains:
 
You see, at just the right time, when we were still powerless, Christ died for the ungodly. Very rarely will anyone die for a righteous person, though for a good person someone might possibly dare to die. But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. – Romans 5:6-8
 
And so I think a second good answer to the Believer’s question “Who am I?” is that you are a dearly loved adopted child of God.
 
These two answers to the question of your identity, that you are a sinner saved by the grace of God through Jesus Christ, and that you are a dearly loved adopted child of God, are true of us as Christian believers even if we forget they are true. But I have a third answer to this question I want to give, and this one is a little different, because it is one we can choose to accept or to reject.
 
I want to go back to the question of our identity in the quote real world. I will be honest here and admit that my entire Christian life, now about 33 years, I have struggled with the problem of compartmentalization, of having seemingly having different identities in different spheres of my life. I believe that this happens to people, including me, because we let others and situations define us instead of continually consciously choosing to define ourselves.
 
The hard reality is that we do not live in a Christian nation. We don’t live in a Christian state, even though it is supposedly in the Bible belt. We live in a secular society. The default assumption nearly everyone will make when they meet you is that you are like them, “normal”, meaning that although you might have some belief in God, and might even be a Christian, that life is kept separate from your day-to-day doings. This message is reinforced every single day by people you meet, pay for your groceries, work with, go to school with, are taught by, and so on.
 
A number of years ago I made the decision that every first day of class I would tell people that I am a Christian, give them a link to a very short testimony, and tell them that they can talk to me if they want to learn more. I have told myself that I do this as a form of outreach, for them. But it is equally, if not more, true that I do it for me. It forces me to decompartmentalize my life, to not separate my quote Christian life from the rest of my life.
 
But I still struggle with this issue in other areas of my life. In Faculty Commons I am very reticent to mention that I am a pastor, because my experience is that this fact causes people to put up a bit of a wall, to separate a bit from me. I do not want this. I want to live my life as an example for others, but I feel that some of the things I do (such as being a pastor) would freak most people out. Another example would be how in past years we have hosted teams at our home to reach out on campus, and how, I have even done some outreach activities on campus with them. When I do this I know I am breaking rules, but I feel led to do it, so I do it anyway. One of my new favorite quotes is from the great evangelist Louis Palao, from an interview with Lee Strobel. It was actually the last interview Palao gave before succumbing to cancer. Here is what he said: “When you get to the end of your life, and all is said and done, you will never regret being courageous for Christ.”
 
As a result of the plants-only diet I have been on the past four years, a diet that has helped reverse my heart disease, I have made friends in an online community of people who are on similar diets. There have been a few times, with individuals, that I have shared my Christian beliefs with them – cases where an analogy or situation was so compelling that I simply could not choose otherwise – but by and large people do not know about my faith. Is this OK? I think of Matthew 10. I want to read a large chunk of this chapter without a break, so we hear it in context; this is not a passing little remark, but a major theme of Jesus:
 
“I am sending you out like sheep among wolves. Therefore be as shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves. Be on your guard; you will be handed over to the local councils and be flogged in the synagogues. On my account you will be brought before governors and kings as witnesses to them and to the Gentiles. But when they arrest you, do not worry about what to say or how to say it. At that time you will be given what to say, for it will not be you speaking, but the Spirit of your Father speaking through you. – Matthew 10:16-20
 
“Brother will betray brother to death, and a father his child; children will rebel against their parents and have them put to death. You will be hated by everyone because of me, but the one who stands firm to the end will be saved. When you are persecuted in one place, flee to another.  – Matthew 10:21-23a
 
What I tell you in the dark, speak in the daylight; what is whispered in your ear, proclaim from the roofs. Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell. – Matthew 10:27-28a
 
“Whoever acknowledges me before others, I will also acknowledge before my Father in heaven. But whoever disowns me before others, I will disown before my Father in heaven. – Matthew 10:32-33
 
“Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword. For I have come to turn ‘a man against his father, a daughter against her mother, a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law — a man’s enemies will be the members of his own household.’ – Matthew 10:34-36
 
“Anyone who loves their father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; anyone who loves their son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me. Whoever does not take up their cross and follow me is not worthy of me. Whoever finds their life will lose it, and whoever loses their life for my sake will find it. – Matthew 10:37-39
 
Jesus is talking about people losing their lives for the sake of sharing the gospel, and I am struggling with saying something in environments that are completely safe. Who am I? Who shall I choose to be? Again, we are talking here about something that we can choose. We can choose certain aspects of our identity.
 
And so this third answer to the question, I believe, is a choice we can make that should be our response to the first two answers. Because I am a sinner saved by the grace of God through Jesus Christ, and because I am a dearly loved adopted child of God, I choose to be as Paul puts it, a doulos of Christ.
 
This is a surprising term that Paul uses to describe himself. If you recall, Paul starts his letters by giving the “From” and the “To” lines, kind of like an email header. An example is the opening of Philippians:
 
Paul and Timothy, servants of Christ Jesus, To all God’s holy people in Christ Jesus at Philippi, together with the overseers and deacons: Grace and peace to you from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ. – Philippians 1:1-2
 
The word translated servants, is “doulos”. In New Testament times, a doulos was a servant who was lowliest of the low. They were at the bottom in terms of the class hierarchy. They could have become slaves through being captured in war, through not being able to pay their debts, through being found guilty of committing certain crimes, and simply from being born to a mother who as also a doulos. If you remember, Paul was actually a Roman citizen; this gave him all kinds of rights and privileges. A doulos is the opposite of a citizen: he had no rights, no freedoms, at all. Now this does not mean that they were uneducated; some were uneducated, but others were highly educated accountants and physicians. They were expected to use all their abilities, training, and gifting in service to their master. As slaves, they were literally owned by their masters. That is, their masters had bought them at a price. So how interesting that Paul, a Roman citizen, repeatedly calls himself a doulos of Christ, and he also calls Timothy the same. 
 
To be a doulos of Christ, to be identified in this way, to give this as a response to the question “Who am I?” is a choice. As a practical matter, we all are doulos, because we were all slaves to sin, and God redeemed us at a great price, the price of Jesus Christ on the cross. As it is written in Romans 6,
 
Don’t you know that when you offer yourselves to someone as obedient slaves, you are slaves of the one you obey—whether you are slaves to sin, which leads to death, or to obedience, which leads to righteousness? – Romans 6:16
 
But I believe that to answer the question “Who am I” with “I am a doulos of Jesus Christ” is something more than the simple acknowledgment of this truth. It is a life-changing mindset. It is to take Matthew 10 seriously and apply it to your life.
 
Just yesterday, I received an email, a prayer request, from a US pastor who is building and helping to support the church in Myanmar. One of the pastors there sent a note to the US pastor saying the following:
 
“Thank you for your prayer. It is terrible to live in Myanmar right now but I am happy to serve God at any cost amid all situations. The God of the mountain is still the God of the valley.”
 
We are surrounded by a cloud of witnesses, not just those heroes of the faith in the book of Hebrews, but present-day believers around the world who are each truly a doulos of Jesus Christ.

Having an answer to the question “Who am I?” is extremely important, but not just so that we can feel good about ourselves, as Evan Hanson and much of the rest of the world encourages us to do. The reason the question of identity is so important is that we tend to live out what we believe about ourselves. If you try to live out this life on earth with the goal of pleasing yourself, you will fail, because nothing in this world truly satisfies. But if you identify yourself as a sinner saved by the grace of God through Jesus Christ, as a dearly loved adopted child of God, and as a doulos of Jesus Christ, you will find the “pearl of great price”: joy that never fades, and peace that transcends all understanding. Let these three facets of who you are flood into every corner of your thoughts. Let it reorder your priorities. Let it change your plans. Let it be that you too can say, “I am happy to serve God at any cost in all situations. The God of the mountain is still the God of the valley.”

No comments: