Sunday, January 23, 2022

Can I really do that? Our Adequacy in Christ

 
Good morning!  Today, we are continuing forward in our new series about our identity, belonging and purpose in Christ.  I think this series is unique because every title begins with a question.  Today’s question is, “Can I Really Do That?”  I expect most believers have heard verses like Philippians 4:13, “I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength,” and John 15:7, “If you remain in Me and My words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you.”
 
It’s simple enough, right?  Those who abide or stay connected to Jesus can do all things.
 
In our heads, we know these things, but do we believe them in our hearts?  I am reminded of the father whose son was demon-possessed.  You can read that account in Mark 9.  He came and brought his son to Jesus’ disciples to heal him.  Keep in mind that Jesus had sent out the twelve disciples in Mark 6.  He sent them out two by two and gave them authority over evil spirits.  They went out and preached.  They drove out many demons and anointed many sick people and healed them.  Enough had been done that it would not have been a surprise that this father would have brought his son to Jesus’ disciples for help.
 
But, without Jesus’ the disciples were not able to drive out the evil spirit from this man’s son.  Jesus returns at this moment, when the son is not healed but rather is seized by convulsions.  When the father implores Jesus, “If you can do anything, take pity on us and help us.”  Jesus replies, “Everything is possible for the one who believes.”  The father replies, “I do belive; help my unbelief.”  Or, help me overcome my unbelief.
 
And, I think, that is our focus for today.  To be reminded of what God’s Word says about what he has done in us and for us.  To move some of what God has said from head to heart.
 
Let’s take a moment and pray as we look into God’s Word together.
 
Father God, we pray for Your insights now.  Speak to us and help our unbelief.  We desire to live the abundant life that You have made possible in Jesus.  Teach us now, we pray in Jesus’ Name, Amen.

Before we jump into what Jesus has done for those who believe in Him.  I want to briefly consider what God has done for all of humankind.
 
Maybe you have heard the expression common grace.  The essence is summed up in Matthew 5:45. God, “causes His sun to rise on the evil and the good and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous.”  There is a general blessing that God has given to all people including our unique identity and gifts.
 
Genesis 1:27 explains, “God created mankind in his own image, in the image of God he created them; male and female he created them.”  That says an awful lot about what God thinks about people.  We are created in the image of God.  There are multiple different aspects that we could explore as to what it means to be made in His image.
 
For one thing, we are not animals.  This is a big problem with evolution.  Evolution does not distinguish human from animal.  Such belief opens doors into all sorts of confusion and ethical dilemmas that have fueled a great many tragedies over the past 150 years.
 
Another way that humans have been created like God, is that humans have a soul, an eternal essence.  Or, if you remember C.S. Lewis’ thought, we are souls that have bodies.  This is evidenced in humanity’s preoccupation with what happens after death and to some degree even in our fear of death.  If we weren’t souls but were animals, life after death wouldn’t be a thought.
 
Another aspect of being made in the image of God is personhood.  God is three persons (Father, Son, and Spirit) in one being.  People are one person in one being.  We have an identity.  We have names.  We exist autonomously.  We get to make decisions.  We can have relationship with each other and with God.  In fact, we need relationship.  And, there are needs for certain relationships.
 
We are made in the image of God.  We are not copies of God.  One of the differences is that we don’t have community in ourselves.  We are not relationally sufficient as individuals.  We all need relationship with God.  While not every person is called to be married.  God has created us male and female.  There are different and complimentary physiology and psychology between man and woman.  This is God’s design, His plan.
 
In addition to having male and female, God has made us each unique individuals.  Psalm 139 reveals God’s working in each life from the very beginning.  Verses 13-17 say, “For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb.  I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well.  My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place, when I was woven together in the depths of the earth.  Your eyes saw my unformed body; all the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be.  How precious to me are your thoughts, God! How vast is the sum of them!”
 
The medical and scientific community knows so much about the human body, but there is much that they do not know.  One of the things that remains a mystery is how the cells of a baby’s body know how to differentiate into all the different kinds of organs and tissue.  Some have wondered whether we should take Psalm 139 at face value, God knitting each person in their mother’s womb.  These cells go here.  You others over there.  It says again in verse 15 that we are woven together, fearfully – awe-inspiringly and wonderfully made.  Verse 16 is a definite pro-life verse, saying, “Your eyes saw my unformed body.”  The baby’s body is already formed at 8 weeks of a 40 week pregnancy.  But Psalm 139:16 says that God sees us before that point, before we are “formed.”
 
These passages of scripture make clear that human life is sacred.  Every human being is an image bearer of God.  And so, there is an adequacy within humanity in general.  It is given to us in our unique and individual creation.  Yes, we are fallen.  Yes, the “apparent adequacy” is affected by many factors.  But God’s Word and His life giving power in each person is the reason why we treasure every individual.  This is why we respect people regardless of any characteristic that the world might use to discriminate.  You and any person you see has been created in the image of God.
 
On top of all these expressions of God’s common grace toward humankind, God also blesses each individual with certain gifts.  In the church, you hear people talk about spiritual gifts, but there are other gifts whether emotional, mental, or physical.  I list emotional first because if you look at I Corinthians 13, it is clear that the most important characteristic, the most excellent way, is love.  I Corinthians chapter 12 begins with one of the key passages in the bible about spiritual gifts.  Then, it talks about how the body is made of many parts.  There is talk about some of the roles in the body of Christ (apostles, prophets, teachers, and so on).  Chapter 12 ends with the exhortation to desire the greater gifts.  Chapter 13 tells us that in spite of any other gift, if we do not have love, we are discordant, we are nothing and we produce nothing.
 
In the world, there is often the most prejudice and discrimination against those with mental limitations.  And yet, many folks that have those limitations, people that the world looks at as un-gifted, are often the most loving and content, the most gifted of us all in the excellent way of love, the greatest gift of all.
 
And so, we are each one fearfully and wonderfully made.  We are made adequate to be in fellowship and relationship with God and with one another.  Our identity and our adequacy are formed from the foundation of the world and the depths of the earth.  To quote a modern day theologian, “God made you special, and He loves you very much.”  Or, there’s the wisdom of the cross stitch that was on my cousin’s wall back in the seventies.  “I know I’m somebody, ‘cause God don’t make no junk.”
 
And yet, we don’t find that we can live up to the gifts that God has given us, nor can we live out a life of healthy relationships on our own.  Carl shared last week that a key component of our our identity is our insufficiency.  We are not holy or perfect.  We are not in a position where God does the making and gifting, and we take over after that.  We fall short, time and again.  In spite of what God has placed in us from before we were born, we are insufficient in a couple of ways.  We are insufficient relationally.  We need God and each other.  We are also incapable of living in a right way because of sin.
 
I think nearly all people are aware that they have a big barrier to living in a pure or righteous or even a consistently agreeable or peaceable way on their own.  But thankfully, that awareness is a good thing.  Charles Spurgeon said it like this, “Discovery of your own insufficiency ought to be the means of leading you to the Lord.”
 
God knows our condition.  He knows that we are broken by sin and even in bondage to it apart from Him.  In preparing the message, I thought of the Michael W. Smith song, “Never Been Unloved.”  We sing it sometimes.  It describes our condition apart from God.
 
I have been unfaithful; I have been unworthy; I have been unrighteous, and I have been unmerciful.
I have been unreachable; I have been unteachable; I have been unwilling; and I have been undesirable.
Sometimes, I have been unwise; I've been undone by what I'm unsure of.
I have been unbroken; I have been unmended; I have been uneasy, and I've been unapproachable.
I've been unemotional; I've been unexceptional; I've been undecided, and I have been unqualified.
Unaware, I have been unfair; I've been unfit for blessings from above.
 
But because of You, and all that you went through, I know that I have never been unloved.
And even I can see the sacrifice You made for me, to show that I have never been unloved.
 
Ephesians 2 make our situation abundantly clear.
 
As for you, you were dead in your transgressions and sins, in which you used to live when you followed the ways of this world and of the ruler of the kingdom of the air, the spirit who is now at work in those who are disobedient. All of us also lived among them at one time, gratifying the cravings of our flesh and following its desires and thoughts. Like the rest, we were by nature deserving of wrath. – Ephesians 2:1-3
 
The perspective of these verses is in the past because Paul was writing to people who have put their hope, their trust, their faith in Jesus Christ.  As a result ...
 
Because of His great love for us, God, who is rich in mercy, made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in transgressions—it is by grace you have been saved. – Ephesians 2:4-5
 
This righteousness is given through faith in Jesus Christ to all who believe. – Romans 3:22
 
And so with that, we’re now fully adequate, right?  Sort of?
 
Well, God does not “just” do the saving, and then we take over after that, either.
 
II Corinthians 3:5 is probably the key verse about competence or adequacy. 
 
Not that we are competent [adequate or sufficient] in ourselves to claim anything for ourselves, but our competence comes from God. – II Corinthians 3:5
 
Jesus made it clear that this is an ongoing reality of dependence in John 15:5.  He said,
 
I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing. – John 15:5
 
Our competence, our adequacy is in Jesus, the true vine.  We have to stay connected to Him in a relational and sustaining way.  That I think requires some humility.
 
Spurgeon taught on that pivotal verse from II Corinthians 3:5.  He exhorted, Let us not aim at being original thinkers, but at being witnesses and heralds of what God says to men. Our Lord Jesus did not strive to be an original thinker, for he said, ‘My doctrine is not mine, but His who sent me.’ The Holy Spirit does not speak as an original thinker; for the Lord Jesus said, ‘He shall take from what is Mine, and shall show it to you.’ As we have reminded you before, the original thinker of the Bible is one of whom it is said, ‘When he speaks a lie, he speaks of his own.’ We are not wishful to emulate him in such originality. We are not sufficient to think [or claim] anything as from ourselves!
 
You see this in humility from both Joseph and Daniel.  Joseph said to Pharaoh, “Do not interpretations belong to God.” (Genesis 40:8) Daniel said to King Nebuchadnezzar, “No man can explain, but there is a God in heaven who reveals mysteries.” (Daniel 2:27) Though both these men were able to interpret dreams, they gave the credit to God for revealing these things to them.
 
Ephesians 5:15 gives us this warning,
 
Be very careful, then, how you live—not as unwise but as wise. – Ephesians 5:15
 
The word careful has an aspect of accuracy built in it.  Be accurate then in how you live.  Where is your foundation.  Are you resting in and on Christ, or are you resting on yourself?  Or other sources of understanding?
 
It’s a challenge maybe to sort it all out.  It’s not that we don’t think.  We do think, but we desire to think as God thinks, to reason as God reasons about things.  It’s not that we don’t work.  We do work, but we do all things in Christ.  In I Corinthians 15:10, Paul wrote, “But by the grace of God I am what I am, and his grace to me was not without effect. No, I worked harder than all of them—yet not I, but the grace of God that was with me.”
 
And in I Peter 4:11, Peter wrote,
 
If anyone speaks, they should do so as one who speaks the very words of God. If anyone serves, they should do so with the strength God provides, so that in all things God may be praised through Jesus Christ. To him be the glory and the power for ever and ever. Amen. – I Peter 4:11
 
When we live in the adequacy we have in Christ, we glorify God.  And even more so, when we are adequate in our areas of weakness or during times of weakness, we glorify God all the more.  That’s totally opposite of what the world leads us to believe.  It says we should work from our own strengths.
 
II Corinthians 12:9 says,
 
He said to me, ‘My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.’ Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. – II Corinthians 12:9
 
II Corinthians 4:7 says,
 
We have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this all-surpassing power is from God and not from us. – II Corinthians 4:7
 
I know I’ve been hanging on Spurgeon quite a bit, but he has such powerful insights and fantastic turn of phrase.  In line with these thoughts, he wrote, “The more wonderful the work, the more intense the inquiry.”  When the evidence of God’s workings is strong, the desire to know what is really going on, to know Him increases.
 
I Peter 2:9 tells us, we “are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, God’s special possession.”  Why?  “That you may declare the praises of Him who called you out of darkness into His wonderful light.”
 
So, why do we feel inadequate at times?  And, why do we disqualify ourselves from declaring the praises of Him?  I think one of the key reasons is because of what we have done, thought, or believed.  We judge ourselves, and we forget that after we confess our sins, the Lord remembers our sins no more.
 
Thinking back to II Corinthians 3:5, Spurgeon introduced an expression, I’ve not heard before.  Do we need “thinking-grace?”  By thinking grace, he meant do we need help to think properly?  I think that the answer is unequivocally, “Yes!”  We need thinking grace.
 
I work as a manager, so I have tried to be open to learn about leading professionals over the years.  In recent times, storytelling has become more and more recognized as an important method of communication, as a way of guiding the decision-making process, as a way to establish culture.  In just the last couple of months, I’ve seen more writing directed at controlling your own story.  Some authors seem more grounded than others.  One talked about how you should think about what your future might be and then live looking toward that future considering what role you are playing in your own story.  Are you living as the hero, the victim, the villain or the guide.  I could see some virtue in that methodology.  It has merit in finding out whether you have “stinking thinking.”
 
Other authors though are downright “name it, claim it” or “believe and receive.”  Choose your story, change your life.  Rewrite your life.  “Uncover how you created the life you have through the stories you’ve been telling yourself.”  When I hear something like that, I wonder am I capable to write a good story for myself?  I have several times in my life that I would have gladly written my own story that would have not been aligned with God’s desire for my life.  Is it my story or is it God’s story for me?
 
We need to be careful where we get the messaging that we dwell on.  Even (or especially?) kids movies can have some interesting messaging.  When I say interesting, I mean vague mumbo-jumbo that has no truth or power behind it.  I though of the end of the Lego Movie, Emmett, the hero, tells the villain, Lord Business, “You... don't have to be... the bad guy.”  That’s not a bad start.
 
The message continues, “You are the most talented... most interesting... and extraordinary person in the universe. And you are capable of amazing things, because you are the Special.  And so am I, and so is everyone.”  As we began the message, it is clear that there is even some truth behind this.  We are made in the image of God.  Everyone is unique and gifted in their own way.
 
In the end though, Emmett’s thought is stripped of any power.  Emmett concludes, “The prophecy [that there is a Special] is made up, but it's also true, it's about all of us, right now, it's about you, and you, still, can change everything.”  The prophecy about our adequacy is not made up.  And, we can’t change everything.  God changed everything.  We change by agreeing with God.
 
Another program I’ve watched before has a head to head matchup between a character who is a kind of savant and another character who is called Preacher.  The savant says that the bible is broken, has contradictions, and doesn’t make sense.  Sadly, this preacher answers these charges by saying, “It’s not about making sense.  It’s about believing in something.  And letting that belief be real enough to change your life. It’s about faith. You don’t fix faith. It fixes you.”  But, what kind of faith is that?  A faith that is not based in truth.  Can you believe in something that isn’t real and have a real transformation?
 
It’s not like you can say that you don’t believe in gravity (or that you do believe in anti-gravity) and then start flying around.
 
What you believe and the basis of that belief does really affect what you can see, literally.  There’s this really interesting research that is making its rounds in the media again now.  I think the first paper was written in 2006.  After studying a lot of ancient literature, the authors came to the conclusion that ancient peoples couldn’t see the color blue because they didn’t have a separate word for the color blue.
 
Taking it one step further, they found a relatively isolated people group in the present that does not have a word for blue, the Himba tribe from Namibia.  What’s even more surprising is that the absence of this word impacted their ability to identify blue as a separate color from green.
 
There's Evidence Humans Didn't Actually See Blue Until Modern Times (sciencealert.com)
 
This same people group has multiple words for green, and they were able to correctly identify slightly different shades of green from one another.
 
I don’t think the authors of any of several studies were trying to say that ancient peoples couldn’t see blue.  Their eyes work the same as our do today.  But, until they had a word for it, it's likely that they didn't actually notice blue distinctly from other colors.  In their conclusion, it was noted language shapes the ability to detect and distinguish color.
 
If language affects our ability to perceive color.  How much more does our consumption ratio of truth and non-truth (falsehood, error, deceit) influence our ability to understand and believe the truth about ourselves and God?
 
It’s become an expected part of Faithwalkers, there is a question about how many attendees read their bible every day for the previous year.  It’s not meant to embarrass anyone.  The desire is to challenge everyone to get a daily meal of God’s Word.  (Deuteronomy 8:3, Matthew 4:4, Luke 4:4)  Without a consistent supply of truth, we will be easily “tossed back and forth by the waves, and blown here and there by every wind of teaching and by the cunning and craftiness of people in their deceitful scheming.” (Ephesians 4:14)
 
And so, I will end with this thought and challenge, if you feel inadequate.
 
Are we abiding in Christ?  Are we staying in relationship with Him?  Are we seeking Him?  Are we staying nourished by His Word?
 
“God is able to bless you abundantly, [to make all grace abound to you,] so that in all things, so that at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work.” – II Corinthians 9:8
 
“Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen.” – Ephesians 3:20-21
 
 

No comments: