Sunday, February 13, 2022

Who Can Comfort Me? Our Consolation in Christ

Paul wrote his letter to the Philippians somewhere around 61 AD.  This was about 28 years after Jesus rose from the dead.  He wrote this from a prison in Rome.  His circumstances weren’t terrible.  He was living in a private residence.  He was able to have visitors and have other freedoms.  But he was chained to a guard 24 hours a day.  Every six hours there would be a change of the guard.  He had no privacy. 
 
Between 47 AD and 61 AD he did face a horrendous amount of suffering.  He spent about 14 years on the move.  He was sharing the gospel, teaching Christians to obey Jesus, and solidifying gatherings of disciples, which were called churches.  Early in his days as a Christian, people in the church didn’t trust him.  After all, he had persecuted the church before his conversion.  There were plots to kill him, opposition to his teachings and demonic encounters.  He was stoned and left to die.  He was beaten and thrown into prison.  He faced rioting mobs.  He had been falsely accused.  He even survived a shipwreck while on one of his trips.  Towards the end of his life he ended up in prison for no wrongdoing.  He was in trouble because he testifyied to what he had seen and heard in Jesus. 
 
This was someone who needed comfort.  We need comfort as well.  Sometimes we might face suffering for our faith in Christ.  Most of the time we need comforting because of trials or the uncertain times we face.  Over the past couple of weeks I’ve faced my share of issues.  My truck, a GMC 3500, had an engine failure.  This is the truck I use for my business.  I found this out while I was sick with covid.  Another challenge has been that numerous people on numerous occasions haven’t done what was promised.  As a family we’ve been working through what it means to be controlled by the Spirit, not anger, impatience, or rudeness.  We led a student to Christ last semester.  A Christian from another Christian organization has been working at preventing this new believer from staying connected with us.  I’ve also faced a small amount of harassment.  Someone, who knows I share Jesus, got my phone number and has been mocking me.  While one of my employees was out working with my other truck, he called me telling me that it had broken down as well.  By the grace of God it was just something temporary.  I was going to joke that I broke a nail.  But a couple nights ago I knocked about one-fourth of my toenail off that’s on my big toe!  So, I didn’t need to joke about breaking a nail.
 
As Paul went through all his trials and pressures, what brought him comfort?  Kenneth Wuest, a New Testament Greek Scholar, stated, “The word ‘comfort’ is the translation of a Greek word which means literally, “a word which comes to the side of one to stimulate or comfort him.” It speaks of persuasive address. Lightfoot translates it by the words “incentive, encouragement.”
(Wuest, K. S. (1997). Wuest’s word studies from the Greek New Testament: for the English reader (Vol. 5, p. 57). Grand Rapids: Eerdmans.)  What was it that gave Paul incentive or persuaded him to keep focused, to have faith and to have joy in spite of his circumstances?  It’s a good question for each of us to ask ourselves.  What is truly giving us motivation to continue on?  Are we looking for the incentive that God wants to provide?
 
Where do we get our motivation?  It would be easy for us to get our motivation from our national heritage as Americans.  After all, we have the most advanced military on Earth, therefore, we have protection.  We have capitalism, freedom of speech, incredible medical coverage, etc.  It would be easy to hide behind the protection of these things.  But these things are temporary.
 
So, back to the original question.  What brought Paul comfort, encouragement, consolation, motivation, incentive?  In the four short chapters of Philippians, Paul mentioned Jesus 34 times.  Over and over he said “in Christ”, “for Christ” and “with Christ”.  He didn’t talk about his ability to avoid sin.  He didn’t share about his incredible, vibrant daily bible reading and prayer time in which he never missed for 14 years.  He didn’t talk about his eloquent speech or his evangelism skills.  Listen to the way he talks about Christ being the one who came to his side to encourage him:

1. Grace and peace to you from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ. – Philippians 1:2

It brings a moment of clarity to our lives when we understand that Jesus is the source of grace and peace.  How often has this world tried to bring peace but failed?  There’s enmity between husbands and wives that’s trying to be solved by secular psychologists.  There are countries in the Middle East that have failed miserably at this for thousands of years.  Animosity still exists between political parties, races, religions and even between tigers and gamecocks. 

2. being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus. – Philippians 1:6

Jesus is the one who will finish the work that was started in us.  Paul didn’t feel the pressure of having to be there every step of the way for the church’s growth.  Jesus could change people in ways that Paul couldn’t.  Years ago, at Faithwalkers, I remember Rebekah telling us that she wanted to learn more about sharing her faith.  John encouraged her to connect with me on campus.  Her first answer was a shake of the head, as in “No!”  Later, I asked again.  Nope, not gonna do it.  A few years later, after she had submitted herself to the lordship of Christ, did she finally come around.  Not only has she been sharing Christ but she has been teaching others how to do the same.  God was at work even when I wasn’t around.

3. God can testify how I long for all of you with the affection of Christ Jesus. – Philippians 1:8

The affection he showed the Philippians came from Jesus.  It takes perseverance to love people even while we go through difficult times.  This cannot come from ourselves.  The supreme example of Jesus.  He had been slandered, spit upon, cursed at, whipped, beaten, and was shamed by being hung on a cross while naked.  And, yet, what did he say as one of his last words?  “Father, forgive them for they do not know what they are doing.”

4. so that you may be able to discern what is best and may be pure and blameless until the day of Christ – Philippians 1:10

Paul was comforted to know that the fruit he hoped to see in their lives was going to come “through Jesus Christ.” Even though he desired to see great things to happen in them, he was able to relax and be patient as God transformed his people.  It wasn’t on his shoulders.  He was in prison.  He couldn’t go see them, teach them, exhort them, train them, or anything else.  But he could pray for them.

5. As a result, it has become clear throughout the whole palace guard and to everyone else that I am in chains for Christ. – Philippians 1:13

He knew that the chains he had on his arms and legs weren’t in vain.  He was “in chains for Christ.” You might feel chained to your desk at work.  You might even feel chained to your children!  You might feel chained to a health problem or an unbearable boss.  It’s comforting to know that God is not chained even though we may feel like we are.

6. But what does it matter? The important thing is that in every way, whether from false motives or true, Christ is preached. And because of this I rejoice. – Philippians 1:18

Even though it was distressing to know that people were preaching Christ out of selfish motives, Paul knew that, at least, Christ was being preached.  He took comfort in knowing that as the words of Jesus were spread, Jesus would take care of the rest.  The apostle John said that Jesus “In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.” He didn’t say that Jesus had the Words of God.  He said that He was the Word.  If you let the lion out of the cage you don’t have to teach it to hunt for food and water.  You don’t have to teach it to attack and take territory.  Just let him loose! So, Paul’s comfort was not in the sharer of the message, but rather in the power of the message and in the fact that it was alive and active…unchained if you will.

7. for I know that through your prayers and the help given by the Spirit of Jesus Christ, what has happened to me will turn out for my deliverance. – Philippians 1:19

He took comfort in knowing that Jesus would deliver him.  One way or the other, he would be delivered.  If Jesus freed him from prison then he would have more time on this Earth to do God’s will.  If he died, well, that was even better.  He would be delivered from his body of sin, given a glorious body and be in the presence of God forever.  That’s why he said the very next thing.

8. For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. – Philippians 1:21

He took comfort in knowing that he couldn’t lose: “To live is Christ and to die is gain.”  No matter what the enemies of the cross of Christ would throw at him, he couldn’t lose!  Max and I will play sports quite often.  Imagine us playing baseball and he comes up with a special, unspoken rule, as he often does.  This is usually the kind of rule I learn about at the exact moment as I’m winning the game.  My perspective is that I’m winning according to the rules that every baseball player  has gone by since the 1800s.  “But dad”, Max suddenly interjects as I’m celebrating my win over an eight year old boy, “you can only use the black bat.  Whatever points you score with the red bat don’t count.”  Now it makes sense why he was having such a good time while I was pumeling him 20-0.  He knew he couldn’t lose.  What encouragement do you think we would have if we knew that we couldn’t lose?  It kind-of reminds me of  the scene in The Matrix Revolutions.  Neo is in a fight with Smith.  He confidently stood up, looked Smith directly in the eyes, wound his arms up as if in a karate stance, sticks out his hand then motions him to bring it on.  You might receive a bad grade in class but you won’t lose.  You might suffer for Christ, but you won’t lose.  You might be chained, but you won’t lose.

9. Whatever happens, conduct yourselves in a manner worthy of the gospel of Christ. Then, whether I come and see you or only hear about you in my absence, I will know that you stand firm in one spirit, contending as one man for the faith of the gospel. – Philippians 1:27

He took comfort in knowing that the gospel of Christ provided the glue for unity even if he wasn’t there with them. When I leave in the evening to go meet with students I’ll often have a sit-down with my kids.  I’ll tell them to work even harder at obeying me when I’m gone as compared to when I’m home.  Paul oftentimes, even in Philippians, encouraged the disciples to follow his examples and the example of other godly believers.  In this instance, he couldn’t be there to be their example.  But he knew that they knew the gospel and the type of holy God that was proclaiming this gospel.  This standard could be with the Philippians no matter where they live, and no matter if Paul was with them or not.  When I was in high school I went to church just about every time we had a meeting.  I was even being asked to take up the offering and pray during the church meetings.  I appeared as if I was a godly person.  But in reality I was doing things behind the scenes that were hypocritical.  It wasn’t until college that I finally found saving faith in Jesus.  After that I realized that God had given me a message to give, the gospel.  God didn’t expect me to be perfect.  He wasn’t wanting me to reach a certain level of maturity or purity before I even opened my mouth about God’s salvation in my life.  But he did want my life to match my calling.  This is the same calling he gives every Christian.  I was given a calling/a mission first no matter the state I was in.  I had a brand new identity separate from my performance as a Christian. But God did want me to repent so that my life was a demonstration of the gospel.  Our mouths are to communicate the gospel and our lives are to demonstrate the gospel.  Paul knew that this calling would lift them up even if he couldn’t be in their presence.

10. For it has been granted to you on behalf of Christ not only to believe on him, but also to suffer for him… – Philippians 1:29

He was comforted because he knew that the suffering he was experiencing wasn’t a sign that he was far from Christ.  It was a sign that he was near to him.  I don’t think a Christian needs to instigate arguments.  But if faced with opposition he shouldn’t cower away.  In Philippians 1:28 Paul exhorted them to not be “frightened in any way by those who oppose you.”  Some Christians have a view that we shouldn’t stir up any tension.  But that’s what the gospel does.  I didn’t like looking into the mirror of God’s word and seeing that I was filthy.  This caused a tension.  My flesh wanted sin.  But God was drawing me to himself.  If I felt no tension then that meant that I was content to stay in my sin.  Sometimes you might face a little tension from other people as you hold the mirror up to them.  But the presence of this tension, or suffering even, isn’t a sign that you’re doing something wrong.  It could be a sign that you’re doing everything right!  It could be a sign that you’re following Jesus more closely than you realize.

11. If you have any encouragement from being united with Christ, if any comfort from his love, if any fellowship with the Spirit, if any tenderness and compassion… – Philippians 2:1

Paul was comforted because he was encouraged in Christ, he had consolation from God’s love and he had fellowship  with the Spirit.  These are things that people can’t take away from us.

12. If anyone else thinks he has reasons to put confidence in the flesh, I have more: circumcised on the eighth day, of the people of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, a Hebrew of Hebrews; in regard to the law, a Pharisee; as for zeal, persecuting the church; as for legalistic righteousness, faultless.  – Philippians 3:4-6 

Before Christ, Paul’s incentive was that he was involved in a worthy cause, cleansing the land of those heretical Christians.  He said “as for zeal, persecuting the church…” (Phil. 3:6)  He really, truly, totally without a possible doubt believed that he was doing God’s will.  But sin had poisoned his ability to think clearly about the theology he taught!  He was on the front line of doing God’s will.  He was sincere about what he believed, but he was sincerely wrong.  Jesus warned the disciples about people like Paul, “2 They will put you out of the synagogue; in fact, a time is coming when anyone who kills you will think he is offering a service to God.” (John 16:2)  At the time that Jesus said these words Paul may have been a young boy.  Later, he would become one of the greatest persecutors of the church.  Before Christ he also had gotten his motivation from his national heritage and religious effort.  After he came to Christ, he considered those things to be like dung.

13. and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ—the righteousness that comes from God and is by faith. – Philippians 3:9

He was encouraged to know that he didn’t have to work for his righteousness.  It was provided to him through Christ. It’s a heavy weight to believe that we have to work for our right standing with God.  It’s exhausting.  It could be comparable to pushing a 5,000 lb GMC 3500 because it had an engine failure

14. and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ—the righteousness that comes from God and is by faith. – Philippians 3:14

He had motivation to “press on” because there would be a prize waiting for him in heaven.  There are times that I’ve gotten my comfort from the prizes that are on this Earth.  If my incentive was heavenly, I didn’t notice the commotion going on around me.  If my incentive is Earthly, it feels like everything is going wrong.  Max loves to play Minecraft.  He sets a timer in order to let him know when his screen time is over.  Most of the time he doesn’t even hear the alarm.  He’s oblivious.  Actually, he’s quite oblivious to a lot of things.  We can holler at him and he doesn’t blink an eye.  I’ve often said that he would be a great emergency room doctor.  He’s oblivious to chaos.  Sometimes I wish I had this particular gift, especially when I go into his room and see chaos all over the place.

15. Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. – Philippians 4:6-8

His comfort came through the reality that Jesus himself would protect his heart and mind from anxiety as he faced the future.  It wasn’t until college that I realized what those strange feelings were that I was having in the morning.  I would think about the future, then I would think about all the things that could go wrong.  Later, I learned that those feelings were feelings of anxiety.  The consolation is that Jesus can protect us in places that we didn’t even know needed protecting.  In Proverbs it says, “Above all else, guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life.” (Proverbs 4:23).  My mom, sister and my grandma went on a trip out to the Western part of the US.  They traveled past scenic mountains in Montana.  The river looked beautiful, cold and refreshing.  As they stopped, they saw someone bending down to drink out of the stream.  My grandma said something like, “I would never drink out of an open stream like that.  You never know what’s in it.”  They got in the car and drove up the road.  Just a short distance up the road they saw a dead moose right in the river!  There’s no telling what kind of toxins were in that water!  Our hearts are susceptible to toxins as well.

16. And my God will meet all your needs according to his glorious riches in Christ Jesus. – Philippians 4:9

He also took great encouragement that God would meet all his needs according to God’s glorious riches in Christ Jesus.  His comfort didn’t come from the things, it came from the person who gave the things.  He said, “And my God will meet all your needs according to his glorious riches in Christ Jesus.”  Notice that he said “my God”.  When is the last time that you told someone about God and you used the phrase “my God”.  There have been countless times that I’ve talked about God.  But I can’t even remember the last time I said “my God.”  His relationship with Jesus was real.  This gave him confidence to share Jesus and what Jesus could do for them.

17. The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ be with your spirit. Amen. – Philippians 4:23

His last comforting thought is that Jesus is alive and he is sitting right beside each one of us.

No comments: