Sunday, February 23, 2020

Faith in the King

Matthew 8:1-17


If you interviewed people to see what they thought of Jesus I’m sure you would get a wide variety of responses.  Some would say that he was just a man, nothing more.  Some would say that he was a myth or legend.  Some would say that he was a great religious teacher and that we would all be doing good by applying the golden rule of loving our neighbor.  Others would say that he was a prophet speaking on God’s behalf, but he wasn’t God.  Some people would tell you that he was homophobic or sexist.  There are people that think of him as harsh and judgmental.  And there are some who would say that he only loves people and doesn’t judge anyone.  And still others would just say that they have no idea about him. I’ve heard people tell me all of those things, and then some.


What do you believe about him?  Do you shy away from him because you think he’s ashamed of you?  Do you not bother asking him anything because you think he doesn’t care?  Do you feel like he’s distant because he hasn’t shown up recently? 

When he came down from the mountainside, large crowds followed him.  A man with leprosy came and knelt before him and said, “Lord, if you are willing, you can make me clean.”  Jesus reached out his hand and touched the man. “I am willing,” he said. “Be clean!” Immediately he was cured of his leprosy. Then Jesus said to him, “See that you don’t tell anyone. But go, show yourself to the priest and offer the gift Moses commanded, as a testimony to them.” Matthew 8:1-4

Before I became a Christian I saw Jesus as distant.  I didn’t think that he wanted to be involved in my life.  I knew at a real young age that there was a creator but I didn’t think of this creator as personal.  But something interesting happened to me when I was in college.  I finally understood God’s forgiveness for my own life.  As I read the Bible I realized that Jesus was personal and he wanted to be involved with my life.

In this story about the leper we see a picture of Jesus that shows how personal he is.  You weren’t supposed to touch lepers.  It was a very contagious and aweful disease.  He had a chronic illness.  I imagine that he wasn’t welcome at a synagogue, that is, if he wanted to go to a synagogue.  I can only guess that he probably felt isolated.  If I was him, I probably would be wondering if I would be alone for the rest of my life.  After all, who would make a sacrifice of their time and health to come visit someone like me.

Amanda Maguire has mentioned going to visit a lady in Brookdale.  The people that live there can’t get out on their own.  Even though they live in the same building with other people I can assume that some of them feel alone.  There’s a risk going into places like this.  The flu and stomach viruses can run wild like fire through a prairie and a dry, windy day.  There’s also a sacrifice of time. 

There’s been numerous times that some of the girls in the church have come to help us clean our home.  They’ve also come to bring some brightness during some of the trying times that Miriam has gone through.  To you I say, “Don’t let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith and in purity.” (1 Timothy 4:12) 

As we’ve gone through some tough times I feel like I’ve developed more compassion for people who are, in some ways, not in the mainstream of life.  I’m talking about the people who aren’t able to come to the church meetings, or people who need someone to consistently be a friend to them on their turf, or someone who just needs some physical help.

Here Jesus comes into this lepers’ life and touches him.  We don’t even know this guy’s name.  He’s just known as “a leper”.  People who have disabilities or chronic illnesses, if not careful, can be swallowed up by their condition.  They are known as “so-and-so who has heart trouble” or “so-and-so who has depression.”  I’m sure this guy had more going on in his life than leprosy, don’t you think?  A pure God came and touched a diseased sinner.  Jesus came to the leper’s own turf.  He didn’t have a meeting and wait for him to come to it.  Jesus pursued people.  Jesus paid attention to this guy.  The great King came to earth and listened to the plea of a begger.  And not only that, he granted his request.  That’s the kind of king Jesus is.

When Jesus had entered Capernaum, a centurion came to him, asking for help. “Lord,” he said, “my servant lies at home paralyzed and in terrible suffering.”
Jesus said to him, “I will go and heal him.”
The centurion replied, “Lord, I do not deserve to have you come under my roof. But just say the word, and my servant will be healed. For I myself am a man under authority, with soldiers under me. I tell this one, ‘Go,’ and he goes; and that one, ‘Come,’ and he comes. I say to my servant, ‘Do this,’ and he does it.”
 When Jesus heard this, he was astonished and said to those following him, “I tell you the truth, I have not found anyone in Israel with such great faith. I say to you that many will come from the east and the west, and will take their places at the feast with Abraham, Isaac and Jacob in the kingdom of heaven. But the subjects of the kingdom will be thrown outside, into the darkness, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.”
Then Jesus said to the centurion, “Go! It will be done just as you believed it would.” And his servant was healed at that very hour. Matthew 8:5-13

More than likely, this Centurion was a Gentile, not a descendent of Abraham, Isaac or Jacob.  Jesus’ response was a rebuke to the descendants of these men.  He said that the kingdom wasn’t just for the people of Israel.  All the nations could be a part of his kingdom.  That’s the kind of king that Jesus is.

He knew that Jesus’ words had authority over sickness.  His words had power.  Jesus had been performing miracles right in front of the people of Israel. And, yet, many of them didn’t take Jesus at his word like this Centurion did.  Jesus met the centurion in Capernaum.  We read in Matthew 11 that Jesus rebuked the people in Capernaum because of their unbelief even though they had seen his miracles, “20 Then Jesus began to denounce the cities in which most of his miracles had been performed, because they did not repent... And you, Capernaum, will you be lifted up to the skies? No, you will go down to the depths. If the miracles that were performed in you had been performed in Sodom, it would have remained to this day. But I tell you that it will be more bearable for Sodom on the day of judgment than for you." (Matthew 11:20, 23-24)

As it says in Romans 3, God gave us the Scriptures through the people of Israel.  There was an advantage to being a Jew.  But as Paul explained in the book of Romans, their heritage didn’t save them.  They needed to unite the words of God with faith (or trust).  In today’s time there are people who are, in some ways, in a similar situation to the Jews in Jesus day.  They have grown up in church and have heard the Bible preached.  To these people I say something silly like, “Growing up in church doesn’t make you a Christian just like walking into a McDonald’s doesn’t make you a hamburger.”  I’ve known students who sang in the gospel choir, a student-run organization at Clemson.  Several of them told me that they were trying to become a better person so that they could have God’s forgiveness.  They didn’t understand that they could only be saved by grace through faith in Christ.  Many people have heard the teachings of Christ but have never responded in faith.

When Jesus came into Peter’s house, he saw Peter’s mother-in-law lying in bed with a fever.  He touched her hand and the fever left her, and she got up and began to wait on him. Matthew 8:14-15

In Jesus’ day, many Jewish men wouldn’t have talked to a woman in public who wasn’t his wife. Matter-of-fact, my understanding is that many rabbis, in order to hold to their man-made tradition to nth degree, wouldn’ even talk to their own wives in public.  In this story we see Jesus touching a woman to heal her.  Jesus, for good reason, broke through some of the normal social barriers of his time.  That’s that kind of king that Jesus is.

When evening came, many who were demon-possessed were brought to him, and he drove out the spirits with a word and healed all the sick. This was to fulfill what was spoken through the prophet Isaiah:
"He took up our infirmities
and carried our diseases." – Matthew 8:16-17

Why did Jesus perform miracles?  He was showing compassion and demonstrating the character of God.  Also, you see that God the Father was validating Jesus as being the Son of God  as explained Acts 2:22 when Peter was preaching, “‘Men of Israel, listen to this: Jesus of Nazareth was a man accredited by God to you by miracles, wonders and signs, which God did among you through him, as you yourselves know.’”  Jesus explained that he had qualities that only God possessed when he said, “For just as the Father raises the dead and gives them life, even so the Son gives life to whom he is pleased to give it.” (John 5:21).  The people of Israel knew that only God was able to give life.  Jesus said that he was the giver of life.  He was communicating that he was God and he was demonstrating this by performing miracles, like raising people from the dead.  Later on, in John 14:11 Jesus stated this same idea, “Believe me when I say that I am in the Father and the Father is in me; or at least believe on the evidence of the miracles themselves.”  At the end of the Gospel of John (John 20:30-31) he says, “30 Jesus did many other miraculous signs in the presence of his disciples, which are not recorded in this book. 31 But these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name.”  He’s not saying that Jesus is a creation of God when he says “Son of God”.  He’s saying that Jesus is God.  Afterall, who can give life other than God?  John said that if you believe Jesus, take him at his word, then you can have “life in his name.”

In the story of the leper we read about Jesus touching someone who was considered untouchable.  In the story about the Roman Centurion, we read about Jesus reaching someone that others wouldn’t dare reach.  In the story about Peter’s mother-in-law being healed, we read about Jesus breaking through some of the social norms of the day.  That’s the kind of king that Jesus is.  Since Jesus is an all-powerful king that touches the neglected, reaches the rejected and speaks to the ignored, then my question for you is, “Will you trust him?”

No comments: