Sunday, October 27, 2019

Lessons from Paul's Personal Greetings

Romans 16:1-27


As World War II was coming to a close, American soldiers began to wonder about the sacrifices that were made to fight the war.  They had gone through many sleepless nights in battle, many weeks of being hungry and many fellow soldiers had fallen at their side.  They had left home to fight for what?  They had left wives, children or girlfriends to fight an enemy on the other side of the ocean...but why? 

In the movie series, Band of Brothers, you see a portrayal of what the army soldiers went through.  The documentary was about E(Easy) Company, 2nd Battalion of the 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment.  They were a part of the 101st Airborne Division. 

A discontentment was growing among the soldiers as to their involvement in this war.  And then, they saw it.  As Easy Company was travelling through Germany they saw what was unexplainable.  It was an image I’m sure they would never get out of their mind until the day they died.  In just a few brief moments the anguish of the war made sense.  They finally saw what they were fighting for.


Behind a fence topped with razor wire, stood an astounding number of emaciated Jews.  These people were in the pit of despair.  But Easy Company showed up.  They rescued them from the enemy.  They opened the gates that had shut them in.  They gave them food and water to help them get started on their recovery.

I have no idea what it would be like to be in such a war and see such atrocities as a concentration camp.  But if I did to fight in such a war, I know that I would need a clear purpose for which to fight and a faithful company of men to which I could fight alongside. 

As we read the first part of Romans 16 we’ll see that Paul and his companions had a clear purpose and that they were faithful to each other.

I commend to you our sister Phoebe, a servant of the church in Cenchrea. I ask you to receive her in the Lord in a way worthy of the saints and to give her any help she may need from you, for she has been a great help to many people, including me.
Greet Priscilla and Aquila, my fellow workers in Christ Jesus. They risked their lives for me. Not only I but all the churches of the Gentiles are grateful to them.
Greet also the church that meets at their house.  Greet my dear friend Epenetus, who was the first convert to Christ in the province of Asia.
Greet Mary, who worked very hard for you. Greet Andronicus and Junias, my relatives who have been in prison with me. They are outstanding among the apostles, and they were in Christ before I was.
Greet Ampliatus, whom I love in the Lord. Greet Urbanus, our fellow worker in Christ, and my dear friend Stachys.
Greet Apelles, tested and approved in Christ.  Greet those who belong to the household of Aristobulus.
Greet Herodion, my relative.  Greet those in the household of Narcissus who are in the Lord.
Greet Tryphena and Tryphosa, those women who work hard in the Lord.  Greet my dear friend Persis, another woman who has worked very hard in the Lord.
Greet Rufus, chosen in the Lord, and his mother, who has been a mother to me, too.
Greet Asyncritus, Phlegon, Hermes, Patrobas, Hermas and the brothers with them.
Greet Philologus, Julia, Nereus and his sister, and Olympas and all the saints with them.
Greet one another with a holy kiss.  All the churches of Christ send greetings. Romans 16:1-16

There are a variety of things that jump out to me in this passage.  First of all, these people weren’t flippant in their devotion to each other.  Paul said that Priscila and Aquila risked their lives for him.  Second, they weren’t loosely associated.  They had a more personal touch by meeting in their homes.  Probably, their most intimate friendships happened while they were in prison together for the sake of the gospel.  Third, they weren’t caught up in their own agenda for life.  Paul said that Mary, somehow, had worked very hard for the church in Rome.  Tryphena and Tryphosa worked “hard in the Lord.”  As I work in my business I have to make an adjustment in my attitude throughout the day. It’s easy for me to drift away into my agenda for the day, like making money or reaching my goals.  Jesus has a purpose for us at every moment of the day.  Four, Paul saw that these people had the same purpose.  He called them “fellow workers”, not just “friends”, although he did call them friends.  They were working or fighting for a common goal, to do God’s will.  That’s what Jesus prayed for us, right?  He told the Father, “‘My prayer is not for them alone. I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message, that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you. May they also be in us so that the world may believe that you have sent me.’” (John 17:20-21)  Jesus was praying for His disciples.  He was also praying for people who would come to believe by the preaching of His disciples.  We are the people who came to believe through the message of those disciples.  They shared the message with someone and that person shared the message with someone.  That process went on-and-on until someone shared the message with us and we believed it.  Jesus was praying that we would be one and that we would introduce the world around us to Jesus.

One last thing I noticed is that they showed affection for each other: “Greet each other with a holy kiss.”  I think I’ll stop there while I’m ahead.   

I urge you, brothers, to watch out for those who cause divisions and put obstacles in your way that are contrary to the teaching you have learned. Keep away from them. For such people are not serving our Lord Christ, but their own appetites. By smooth talk and flattery they deceive the minds of naive people.  Everyone has heard about your obedience, so I am full of joy over you; but I want you to be wise about what is good, and innocent about what is evil.
The God of peace will soon crush Satan under your feet.
The grace of our Lord Jesus be with you. Romans 16:17-20

There’s no way a military unit could function well if each soldier has his or her own agenda.  When Navy Seal Team #6 killed Osama Bin Laden in 2011 each soldier had the same goal: kill Osama.  It wouldn’t have worked if they had different agendas.  For example, one soldier could have had the goal of killing everyone in the compound that Osama was staying in.  But that wasn’t the goal.  Another soldier may have wanted to make it as fast as he could through the compound without getting killed, then he could be extracted by helicopter.  He may have shown up to the fight (which is more courageous than I would have been) and gone through the motions but never accomplished the goal.  In my lawn care business I train my employees to mow the grass in a way that creates an attractive lawn.  I can’t count how many times I’ve watched someone ride the mower around the lawn but forgot to engage the blade.  I’m not paying you to ride a mower!  I’m paying you to mow the lawn.  In my example of the Navy Seals, each soldier may have been 100% confident that he was accomplishing the main purpose, until their chief stepped in and totally rearranged their priorities and their thinking.  We have a friend, who is our chief.  His name is Jesus. 

When Jesus showed up in the lives of the people mentioned in the first 16 verses, their priorities and their thinking was turned totally upside down.  The evil people that Paul talked about were distracting people from Christ and His mission for their lives.  In Romans, Paul spent, in my estimation, eleven chapters on heavier theological ideas.  In chapters 12-14, Paul shared how this theology should affect how you interact with other people.  He’s getting into the practical details of his message.  In verse 17, he talked about “the teaching you have learned.”  What teaching was he talking about?  I believe it was at least the first fifteen chapters of Romans, and probably other things that are not even written down in Romans.  The foundational truth that held up all the other truths that Paul explained is found in Romans 1:16: “For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes…”  So, if I become ashamed of the gospel or forget that God wants to change lives, then I begin to choose a different purpose for my life other than the one that God has chosen.  God’s will is that people would believe him and obey him.

Timothy, my fellow worker, sends his greetings to you, as do Lucius, Jason and Sosipater, my relatives.
I, Tertius, who wrote down this letter, greet you in the Lord.
Gaius, whose hospitality I and the whole church here enjoy, sends you his greetings.
Erastus, who is the city’s director of public works, and our brother Quartus send you their greetings.
Now to him who is able to establish you by my gospel and the proclamation of Jesus Christ, according to the revelation of the mystery hidden for long ages past, but now revealed and made known through the prophetic writings by the command of the eternal God, so that all nations might believe and obey him— to the only wise God be glory forever through Jesus Christ! Amen. Romans 16:21-27

You don’t ever see Paul as a lone soldier.  You always see him fighting alongside of someone.  Timothy was one of the fellow workers who did that.  Here is where God explains his will to us.  I think that God’s will has many dimensions to it.  God used Paul, here in the letter to the Romans, to share a different perspective of His will.  We see God explaining His will from Genesis to Revelation.  The chief is speaking.  He’s giving a clear purpose, not only to us but to those who we disciple as well.  He says, “so that all nations might believe and obey him…”  A different way of saying the same thing is found in the following verses:

“He did this so that all the peoples of the earth might know that the hand of the Lord is powerful and so that you might always fear the Lord your God.” Joshua 4:24

“So that all the peoples of the earth may know your name and fear you…” 1 Kings 8:43

“That your ways may be known on earth, your salvation among all nations…” Psalm 67:2

“In my vision at night I looked, and there before me was one like a son of man, coming with the clouds of heaven. He approached the Ancient of Days and was led into his presence. He was given authority, glory and sovereign power; all peoples, nations and men of every language worshiped him.” Daniel 7:13-14

“Then Jesus came to them and said, "All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age." Matthew 28:18-20

All around us there are people who are spiritually emaciated, just like the Jews in the concentration camps.  God wants to use us to rescue them.  Paul listed his companions in the gospel.  When you clarify your purpose then you clarify your companions.  If you think life is only about making money then you will spend much of your time with people who are doing that so that can learn from them.  If life is about pursuing hobbies then you will gather companions around those things.  If life’s purpose is to be safe then you will find companions who are safe.  If you believe that life is about helping the nations to believe God and obey Him, then you will surround yourself with companions who will be a band of brothers to accomplish that goal.

No comments: