Sunday, August 19, 2012

Seed Throwers

Galatians 6
Good Morning! Today, we have reached the end of the book of Galatians and the end of our summer series on Law and Grace. Carl took us through an overview of the entire Law from the Old Testament during June and July. Over the last weeks, we’ve covered the first 5 chapters of Galatians. Now, we will close out the series with Galatians 6, but not yet.

Let’s take a moment to pray before we get going:

Father God, You know all things. We come to You this morning humble and needy like little children. I pray that You would illuminate the dark places in our hearts and minds. Flush out the lies which we have hidden and reinforced over the years. We desire to live as the free men and women which you have purchased us to be. Our eyes and our hearts are on You. Speak now we pray. In Jesus’ name. Amen.


As a recap, the Law was not given without purpose. The New Testament is clear on that point. In Romans 3 we see how through the law we became conscious of our sin (v. 20) and realize that requirements for us to live a certain way make it obvious that we are unable to do it ourselves. In Romans 5 (v. 13), it says that sin existed before the law, but that sin was not taken into account without the law. Having the Law makes it easier to see the sin. In a related way, Paul wrote that the Law was added to increase trespass (Rom 5:20) and that sinful passions are aroused by the law (Rom 7:5). Have you experienced that? Just knowing what the law says causes you to want to break it. The Law is both a teacher (Rom 7:7) and a warden (Gal 3:23). It acts to restrain evil and to convince us of our sin and need for a savior. In fact, the Law brings wrath (Rom 4:14).

The Law cannot save us from doing wrong things because of the sinful nature inside of us (Rom 7:5). We all make wrong decisions. I John 3:4 says everyone who sins breaks the law and that sin is lawlessness. We are bound in our flesh to lawlessness. It’s what we want in our flesh. Our sinful mind cannot submit to the Law (Rom 8:7). We cannot live righteous and holy lives just because we know what “wrong” is. It is like saying the way to heaven is to fly across the ocean but we don’t have an airplane. We are grounded; we cannot fly on our own.

Hebrews says the Law made nothing perfect (Heb 7:19). So, the Law was put in charge to lead us to Christ. This is what we read in Galatians 3 (v. 24). However, the Law is a shadow of the good things to come (Heb 10:1). Don’t be mistaken, it is not the reality of those things. The Law talks of the need for sacrifices, animals slaughtered to cleanse nearly everything (Heb 9:22). The fulfillment of the Law is the once for all sacrifice of Jesus on the cross (Rom 4:16, 5:17); in that way, the Law does not set aside the covenant (Gal 3:17). God’s story is one story. Israel pursued a law of righteousness but did not attain it (Rom 9:31), but God made a way through His Son for everyone who believes to achieve freedom and eternal life (Rom 3:22-26).
Christ is the end of the law so that there may be righteousness for everyone who believes (Rom 10:4). Jesus is the incarnation of love. He is love in the flesh, and love is the fulfillment of the law (Rom 13:10). Jesus redeemed us, he saved us, by taking our punishment, by becoming cursed himself (Gal 3:13). He condemned sin in us (Rom 8:4) and set us free from the Law (Rom 8:2). Those who believe have been justified from everything you could not be justified under the Law (Acts 13:39). This, incidentally, is everything. As a result, we are no longer under the supervision of the Law (Gal 4:25). Sin is not master over those under grace (Rom 6:14).

At this point, sometimes we get stuck in our thinking. If we are free from the Law, does that mean we are free to sin? No, we are free also from sin. We should not sin because we are now under grace. You are a slave to whatever you obey whether Law or sin (Rom 6:15). Trying to be justified by the Law after you are saved alienates you from Christ (Gal 5:4) because you have fallen away from grace.
Paul wrote it this way in Philippians,

What is more, I consider everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them rubbish, that I may gain Christ and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ--the righteousness that comes from God and is by faith. Philippians 3:8-9

Paul despises any claim to a righteousness of his own that comes from the law, not even a smidgen of righteousness that is his own. We cannot hold to our own righteousness. We must instead hold to the righteousness that comes from God and is by faith.

How many of you have read Pilgrim’s Progress by John Bunyan? It is an excellent book, and I recommend it to anyone who has not read it. If you do not know it, it is a story of the travels and travails of a man named Christian from the City of Destruction to the Celestial City. The story begins with his realization of the burden of sin on his back and the impending destruction of his hometown. It includes his struggles against the burden of sin, discouragement, deceitfulness of the world, spiritual assaults, and his own weaknesses. It also includes Christian’s liberation from the burden of sin, his overcoming of discouragement, distractions, and attacks, as well as the encouragement of fellow pilgrims and the help he meets along the way.
The book was written in 1678. On this slide is a map of “places Pilgrim travels through on his progress.” It is “a fold-out map from an edition printed in England in 1778.” The book is an allegory of the Christian life. An allegory is a story using symbolic characters and actions to describe real life. In the unabridged version, there are a great many verse references listed in the narrative. Bunyan’s knowledge of the Bible was amazingly thorough.

The map is really 3 sections, and the path is vertical from bottom to top. In the lower left, there is the City of Destruction where Christian first perceives the burden of sin. You can see about halfway up the leftmost map Mount Calvary. It was here that Christian’s burden of sin was removed. It was removed when Christian came to the cross. I’m going to try not to retell the entire story. However, you can see more of the story comes after he was saved from his burden of sin than before it. Early in his journey, there is a place off to the right before Christian came to the cross. This is Mount Sinai. Christian was sent here by Mr. Worldly Wise to a man named Legality in the village of Morality who was supposed to help him remove his burden. Christian could not even reach the village because of the treacherous terrain. That part of the story takes a look at the law’s inability to save us from sin.

The portion of the story I want to read to you actually comes from Christian’s friend named Faithful. It happens beyond Mount Calvary at the Hill of Difficulty. Christian and Faithful have both been freed from their burdens of sin by that point, they are saved. Faithful is recounting his experience to Christian in retrospect, looking back. They are about a third of the way up the middle panel when Christian asks,

“CHR. Did you meet with no other assault as you came?

“FAITH. When I came to the foot of the hill called Difficulty, I met with a very aged man, who asked me what I was, and where I was bound. I told him that I am a pilgrim, going to the Celestial City. Then said the old man, You look like an honest fellow; will you be content to dwell with me for the wages that I shall give you? Then I asked him his name, and where he lived. He said his name was Adam the First, and that he lived in the town of Deceit. [Eph. 4:22] I asked him then what was his work, and what the wages he would give. He told me that his work was many delights; and his wages that I should be his heir at last. I further asked him what house he kept, and what other servants he had. So he told me that his house was maintained with all the dainties in the world; and that his servants were those of his own making. Then I asked if he had any children. He said that he had but three daughters: The Lust of the Flesh, The Lust of the Eyes, and The Pride of Life, and that I should marry them all if I would. [1 John 2:16] Then I asked how long time he would have me live with him? And he told me, As long as he lived himself.

“CHR. Well, and what conclusion came the old man and you to at last?

“FAITH. Why, at first, I found myself somewhat inclined to go with the man, for I thought he spoke very fair; but looking in his forehead, as I talked with him, I saw there written, "Put off the old man with his deeds."
CHR. And how then?

“FAITH. Then it came burning hot into my mind, whatever he said, and however he flattered, when he got me home to his house, he would sell me for a slave. So I bid him forbear to talk, for I would not come near the door of his house. Then he reviled me, and told me that he would send such a one after me, that should make my way bitter to my soul. So I turned to go away from him; but just as I turned myself to go thence, I felt him take hold of my flesh, and give me such a deadly twitch back, that I thought he had pulled part of me after himself. This made me cry, "O wretched man!" [Rom. 7:24] So I went on my way up the hill.
Now when I had got about half-way up, I looked behind, and saw one coming after me, swift as the wind; so he overtook me just about the place where the shelter stands … as the man overtook me, he was but a word and a blow, for down he knocked me, and laid me for dead. But when I was a little come to myself again, I asked him wherefore he served me so. He said, because of my secret inclining to Adam the First; and with that he struck me another deadly blow on the breast, and beat me down backward; so I lay at his foot as dead as before. So, when I came to myself again, I cried him mercy; but he said, I know not how to show mercy; and with that he knocked me down again. He had doubtless made an end of me, but that one came by, and bid him forbear.

“CHR. Who was that that bid him forbear?

“FAITH. I did not know him at first, but as he went by, I perceived the holes in his hands and in his side; then I concluded that he was our Lord. So I went up the hill.

“CHR. That man that overtook you was Moses. He spares none, neither knows he how to show mercy to those that transgress his law.”

The Law cannot show mercy. If we come seeking hope and life in the Law, we will find instead only failure and fear. It commands us to love, but we are unable to fulfill the Law’s commands without Jesus. Certainly, the Law cannot love us. You would never expect a yardstick to give you a hug or tell you that you’re appreciated. This story brings to mind several things that we read in the book of Galatians. In chapter 4, Paul wrote, “Tell me you who want to be under the law, are you not aware of what the law says?” Because whoever keeps the law but stumbles at one point is guilty of all (Jam 3:10). In chapter 3, Paul quoted Deuteronomy 27:26. He begins “All who rely on observing the law are under a curse, for it is written: ‘Cursed is everyone who does not continue to do everything written in the Book of the Law.’ ” One misstep, like Faithful in the story, results in the Law condemning us.

Now that we are saved by grace, how then should we respond when we sin or another believer that we know sins? Let’s finally pick up with chapter 6 of Galatians:

Brothers, if someone is caught in a sin, you who are spiritual should restore him gently. But watch yourself, or you also may be tempted. Galatians 6:1

The idea here of the sin is a falling off the path, a stumbling. We’re not talking about a persistent lifestyle in sin. It is interesting also how we are to restore each other gently. I don’t know if you marvel at how gentle the Lord is with you. I do. I am amazed at how he is continually pushing me to seek him and depend on him. My circumstances seem specially crafted to help me grow. Likewise, we should love one another as Jesus has loved us. We should help one another gently.

Paul doesn’t specify how you might be tempted. It is implied that we would be tempted by the same sin. I think we need to be realistic that we may be tempted by other sins in helping our brother or sister. We must be on guard against anger or self-righteousness when we help one another.

How do we restore one another? First off, the restorer should be “spiritual.” Drop back to Galatians 5 for a review on living by the Spirit.

The Greek word translated restore covers a great many things. It is used to describe mending something torn, fixing something broken, setting a broken bone or resetting a dislocated joint. It also is used to describe fully training or preparing someone or something. The restoration should be a blessing to the one receiving it. It’s like fixing a boo-boo. If a child came to you with a skinned knee, it would be hard to imagine saying, “Why do you keep falling down? Do you know how expensive band-aids are anyway? That’s it, if you ever fall down again; you’ll just have to deal with it yourself!” Even though I have lamented to myself that band-aids aren’t cheap, I don’t tell my kids they can’t have one. I learned from Fred years ago to put a few band-aids in my wallet just to be prepared. I was glad of it too. I’ve used some of those band-aids on myself over the years. But, that’s the restoration mindset we need to have as we seek to help one another when we stumble.

Carry each other's burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ. Galatians 6:2

The law instructs us that we should love one another as we love ourselves. Jesus tells us that we should love one another as he loves us. What better way to help your neighbor than to help them carry a heavy load. What does “carrying” look like? Sometimes, it could be prayer. It could be physically helping with a situation in that person’s life. We had a team over on campus yesterday helping students move in. Literally, they were carrying each other’s burdens. Another time, it could be coming alongside someone and offering encouragement and company. We live in an electronic/computer/internet/ facebook/texting age. I couldn’t have imagined 20 years ago what the world would be like even within my lifetime. Still though, talking to a person on a phone and definitely meeting another person face to face is not to be underestimated. We all hunger for the undivided attention of another.

If anyone thinks he is something when he is nothing, he deceives himself. Each one should test his own actions. Then he can take pride in himself, without comparing himself to somebody else, for each one should carry his own load. Galatians 6:3-5

Let’s start at the beginning. I am nothing and so are you. If Jesus was willing to abase himself to the point of coming in the flesh, living among us, touching diseased people, eating with tax collectors and sinners, being tortured and crucified all because he loves us. Well, what right do we have to gripe or complain at the light and temporary trials we face? Philippians 2:3 says clearly, “in humility, consider others better than yourselves.”

Our value is somewhat of a paradox. G.K. Chesterton wrote it this way, “One can hardly think too little of one's self. One can hardly think too much of one's soul.” We are the blood bought children of God. Jesus himself assured us that we are worth much, even to the point that the hairs on our head are numbered.
There is value in assessing ourselves. We are not to put ourselves under the Law, but we can test our actions. James wrote that “faith without action, deeds, or works” is dead. We are measuring ourselves against ourselves against the Word. We are not measuring ourselves against one another.

The last phrase, “each one should carry his own load,” stands in opposition to verse 2. I thought we were supposed to carry one another’s burdens. The Greek words are a little different. The first one covers all kinds of burdens. The one here in verse 5 is more like a load, for example, the cargo of a ship. It is an internal load. We should all carry our share. We should all bear our part of the whole.

The goal is carry your load and be available to help carry someone else’s load, too; when you’re carrying more than your own load, then you have something to “take pride in.”

Anyone who receives instruction in the word must share all good things with his instructor. Galatians 6:6

Studying this passage, I’ve seen this verse discussed a couple of different ways. Most frequently, it is seen as an exhortation to encourage the body of Christ to financially support the teachers, missionaries and pastors. Martin Luther had this view. That idea occurs elsewhere in Scripture (1 Corinthians 9:11, 14, 1 Timothy 5:17, Luke 16:11), so it is a natural extension of burden bearing that those who instruct would be supported.

I will mention that this church is unusual. The current pastors do not draw any salary or financial support from the church. Each one of us, Fred, Carl, and I, happen to have full-time jobs. We all three actually give to the church rather than take anything. We are blessed to be able to do that.

I will also say that there are plenty of burdens of the church that can be shared. Obviously, there are financial obligations for the building and events. There is no debt. I’m speaking of utilities and these kinds of things. March and Bob Schmitt also took a big burden of getting the roof replaced and leaks around the heating and air conditioning fixed. Some of the young men of the church also logged time on the roof. I know Daniel and Jonathan for sure, perhaps others. We are all grateful to you. Thank you, gentlemen.

Our heart for this church is that it would be a Great Commission church; a giving and sending church. Enabling that vision is another burden that we can share. If you receive instruction here, it would be fantastic if you shared in the work of the harvest. I know many of you already do that, so thank you.

Do not be deceived: God cannot be mocked. A man reaps what he sows. The one who sows to please his sinful nature, from that nature will reap destruction; the one who sows to please the Spirit, from the Spirit will reap eternal life. Galatians 6:7-8

We can’t fool God. He knows what we’re up to. In the story I read from Pilgrim’s Progress, Faithful sowed just a few seeds to his sinful nature inclining his heart to go with Adam the First, and the guilt of the Law came upon him like a bandit.

God has given us a clear example from nature. There are many seeds, but every seed yields after its own kind. There are no mystery seeds. A tomato seed will grow a tomato plant. A kernel of corn will yield a stalk of corn. Peppers, okra, squash, cantaloupe, wheat, grass, weeds, trees. Every single plant has its own unique seed. And those seeds will produce only that kind of plant.

How do we prepare ourselves for carrying our own burden, sharing in the burdens of others, sharing all good things? We sow seed into our lives. Surprisingly, I think we all have a large plot of land in our hearts. I don’t know about you, but there seems to be no end to what I can sow in my life. There’s always room for more. We can sow in unexpected ways and unexpected times. What we watch and listen to are obvious seed sowing activities. How we react to one another is also seed sowing? Few things grieve my heart like hearing my own children cry out in anger at one another with the same words or spirit that I have used toward them. I have sown seeds of anger and impatience, and now I see a harvest that I’m not pleased with.

God is not mocked. What a man sows, that will he reap. If you have realized that you’re sitting in a spiritual weed patch, don’t despair. But, it might be time to bust out the spiritual Roundup. Repent from sin and confess your sins to God. Go and restore damages if that is needed (Gal 2:18). Confess to the one you have injured and ask forgiveness. Likewise, cut down wrong thinking that may be growing from bad seed. II Corinthians 10:5 says,

We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ. II Corinthians 10:5

Prayer and devotion to the Word, putting on the full armor of God (Eph 6:10-18) these are keys to doing battle against that which has been sown. As we saw, Faithful was delivered by the Lord himself.

What if you are not in a spiritual weed patch, but a spiritual desert? Well, start sowing! Likewise, get into the Word. Read, pray, seek, knock, ask. These are the ways to get a spiritual harvest going. It may be hard at first. Anytime you start a garden in previously uncultivated ground, you can run into problems. The soil has to be broken up. The soil may need to be amended. There may be nothing there for the plants to grow from. Around here, we’ve got orange clay. There’s not much that likes to grow in clay. Pray through Psalm 51. There is a Psalm to soften your heart.

Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up. Galatians 6:9

Don’t give up doing the right things. Don’t quit sowing spiritual seed. Don’t quit coming to the Lord asking to be filled and transformed by the renewing of your mind (Rom 12:2).

Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers. Galatians 6:10

Let us care and share, bless and encourage, especially to one another.

See what large letters I use as I write to you with my own hand! Galatians 6:11

Typically, a scribe or secretary, if you will, would write down a letter dictated to them. The book of Romans concludes with a greeting from Tertius who wrote that letter. We don’t know who transcribed this letter to the Galatians, but Paul at this point takes up the pen and starts writing himself. If you think Paul had eye trouble, maybe he writes large letters because he has a hard time seeing. Perhaps, the large letters are just for emphasis. Hey, look here.

Those who want to make a good impression outwardly are trying to compel you to be circumcised. The only reason they do this is to avoid being persecuted for the cross of Christ. Not even those who are circumcised obey the law, yet they want you to be circumcised that they may boast about your flesh. Galatians 6:12-13

Judaism was a recognized religion by the Roman government. If Judaizers kept Christianity under the banner of Judaism, then they could avoid persecution by claiming to be a Jew. When Christianity stood apart from the Law and not under the Law, it was exposed to persecution.

Again, being circumcised and trying to follow the Law is an outward thing. No one can obey the Law. The Law leads us to Christ, shows us that we need a Savior. Those who wanted to circumcise others were looking for another notch in their belt. They wanted others to be impressed.

May I never boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, through which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world. Galatians 6:14

This is huge. Chapter 5 ended with a similar verse. “Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the sinful nature with its passions and desires.” That is a promise to claim. If you are feeling overwhelmed by desires and passions contrary to the Spirit, then come and lay this truth down before the Lord. If you belong to Christ, then you are crucified to the world, the world is crucified to you, and the sinful nature in you is crucified. How often do you kick yourselves around for your failings and shortcomings? How often do you believe yourself subject to some uncontrollable urge? If you belong to Christ, then that is not who you are anymore. Going back to Galatians 2, “I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.” We have been set free in Christ Jesus. Do not “be burdened again by a yoke of slavery.” (Gal 5:1) If you’re in a funk, talk to your soul. I love David’s words in Psalm 42 and 43.

Why are you downcast, O my soul? Why so disturbed within me? Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise him, my Savior and my God. Psalm 42:5, 11, 43:5

Hey Soul! Why are you so bummed out? Look up! Put your hope in God. Stop worrying about what we’ve done wrong. Stop worrying that we’re going to fall again. Stop worrying about our present circumstances, even if they look like a mess. Look up! Praise God! Think of all the precious promises we have.

Neither circumcision nor uncircumcision means anything; what counts is a new creation. Peace and mercy to all who follow this rule, even to the Israel of God. Galatians 6:15-16

It’s not that circumcision is bad in and of itself. In reality, it doesn’t mean anything. We are saved by faith. In Him, we are a new creation when we believe in Him. Peace and mercy only come in Christ. In the Law, there is no mercy. Jew and Gentile alike are saved only by the blood of Jesus on the cross. He alone is the way, the truth, and the life.

Finally, let no one cause me trouble, for I bear on my body the marks of Jesus. Galatians 6:17

Paul has been battered and bruised for the gospel. His readers likely remember his stoning there in southern Galatia in the city of Lystra. Those were only some of the marks Paul bore. II Corinthians 11:23-27 gives a more complete list of the sufferings Paul endured. When Ananias was summoned by the Lord to go and speak to Paul after he had seen Jesus on the road to Damascus, he was told, “I will show him how much he must suffer for my name.” (Acts 9:16) That was Paul’s opener to his life in Christ. The first thing Jesus needed to tell Paul was how much his sufferings would be. How would you respond if Jesus said, "I’d like to start by showing you what you will suffer in the future for my sake?"

Let us likewise not trouble Paul but take him at his word. He suffered much for the cross of Christ. His testimony is tested by many trials and proven true by generations of believers. The gospel message is true. “For freedom sake, Christ has set you free. Stand firm and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery.” (Gal 5:1) Instead, come to Jesus and heed his words:

"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light." Matthew 11:28-30

We should not walk as ones burdened by heavy loads nor should we submit to burdens that others might put on us. Instead, we should submit to one another out of reverence for Christ.

The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with your spirit, brothers. Amen. Galatians 6:18

Let’s pray.

Lord Jesus, thank you for your sacrifice on the cross. Thank you that we have been set free from the law of sin and death. Thank you that we do not stand as ones condemned, but that those who believe in You have been released from bondage. Help us to sow spiritual seed. May we not hide in the shadows any more. Spirit flush the lies out we pray in Jesus’ name. Amen.

No comments: