Sunday, April 26, 2009

Falling Down Before the Throne

Carl planned a new series for us starting next week titled “Broken Vessels.” These messages will take a look at the lives of men and women throughout the Old Testament. However, I’m going to sneak ahead and look at one of the kings of Judah, one of these broken vessels, today.

Does anyone remember King Amaziah? Can you say anything remarkable about his reign as king or how he came to be king? If anyone says, “yes,” I’ll be surprised.

Amaziah was the son of Joash. Amaziah’s son was Uzziah. Here is the beginning of the record about his life from II Chronicles 25:1-2:

Amaziah was twenty-five years old when he became king, and he reigned in Jerusalem twenty-nine years. His mother's name was Jehoaddin; she was from Jerusalem. He did what was right in the eyes of the Lord, but not wholeheartedly.


Okay so it was the last part that got me. “He did what was right in the eyes of the Lord, but not wholeheartedly.” I read over those words, and a thought just popped into my mind, “I resemble that remark.”

I don’t know how you evaluate your walk with Christ right now. Maybe you feel filled up with the Spirit. Maybe you are encouraged and nourished from the Word. Maybe you are dealing with a spiritual challenge. Maybe you are emotionally drained.

When I read those words from II Chronicles, I thought, man that is where I am right now. On the outside, I feel like, “Yeah, John looks like he’s doing the right things.”

I read on curiously about Amaziah, wondering what the testimony would be for the one who “does what is right in the eyes of the Lord, but not wholeheartedly.”

I won’t do an exposition on the life of Amaziah, but I will tell you that it did not go well with him. A heart that is not wholly devoted to God will eventually find its way into sin. And Amaziah eventually led his people into worshipping false gods, defeat at the hands of Jehoash, King of Israel, and in the end, he was conspired against, fled the throne, was pursued, and eventually killed.

Just this week, I picked up a column by Tony Woodlief titled, “Practical Atheism.” He starts with statistics that identify a tremendous gap between the percentage of Americans who call themselves Christian and the percentage of Americans who would have a Christian worldview (believing that Christ was sinless and that absolute truth exists, for example).

He closes his thoughts in this way,

What we are in danger of—in our country, in our churches, in ourselves—is practical atheism. This is not a considered embrace of godlessness. It is instead the slow slide into lives where God is irrelevant. …

Practical atheism … extends to all we who drift from Christ, even as we dutifully attend Sunday services. It's in the brief morning prayer that eventually becomes no prayer at all. It's in the way we emulate men rather than the God-man. It's in the way we brood, as if the things that vex us don't pass through the hands of a loving God. I don't know if practical atheism afflicts you, but I slip into it every day. Surveys tell us more people are forgoing the Christian label. What ought to concern us is how many—perhaps most of all ourselves—are willing to keep the label without fully living the life it requires.

If you or I dawdle in the realm of practical atheism or live daily in half-hearted devotion, we are at risk of our hearts becoming hardened. With hardened hearts, it is easy to think that the consequences of half-hearted devotion or practical atheism affect only me. But let me tell you, “Not so!” Jesus said in Matthew 12:30,

“He who is not with me is against me, and he who does not gather with me scatters.”

The second half of this verse is the part that struck me last week. I’m familiar with the first portion. But what about the second half? If you’re not gathering, what are you doing?

Scattering. Undoing the Kingdom of God. Tearing apart that which Jesus died for. Whew. This is not some insignificant trifle.

This is one of those verses that pulls us back to the black and white reality of the Kingdom of God. It tells me I can’t have it both ways, not half a heart with God and half a heart in the world. Being half-hearted is not a choice in our relationship with God.

He who does not gather with me scatters.

Some choose to turn back to the world. In II Timothy 4:10, Paul writes, “Demas, because he loved this world, has deserted me and gone …” Also, the rich young ruler in Matthew 19 goes away because his heart is tied to his possessions.

In both these cases, it is the things of this world that pull Demas and the rich young ruler back from following wholeheartedly. But this is not the only thing. I want to read a passage from Oswald Chambers,

There is no such thing as a private life – “a world within the world” - for a man or woman who is brought into fellowship with Jesus Christ's sufferings. God breaks up the private life of His saints, and makes it a thoroughfare for the world on the one hand and for Himself on the other. No human being can stand that unless he is identified with Jesus Christ. We are not sanctified for ourselves, we are called into the fellowship of the Gospel, and things happen which have nothing to do with us, God is getting us into fellowship with Himself. Let Him have His way, if you do not, instead of being of the slightest use to God in His Redemptive work in the world, you will be a hindrance and a clog.

Am I gathering or scattering? Are you useful to God or a hindrance?

If you do not have a plan for gathering, don’t be overwhelmed. Ephesians 2:10 says, “For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.”

Micah shared that verse with me on Friday. He’s teaching Sunday School, so he shared it with me from that paradigm. He’s preparing lessons and crafts in advance. The students in his class just show up. Obviously, they have to do the work, but the materials, directions, and tools are all provided by the teacher. In the same way, God is preparing work for us to do. We need to “show up” in faith that he is going to accomplish the work.

So, what can be done for an old heart like mine?

How to get a whole heart:

1. Repent and sin no more
Ezekiel 18:30-32 “Therefore, O house of Israel, I will judge you, each one according to his ways, declares the Sovereign LORD. Repent! Turn away from all your offenses; then sin will not be your downfall. Rid yourselves of all the offenses you have committed, and get a new heart and a new spirit. Why will you die, O house of Israel? For I take no pleasure in the death of anyone, declares the Sovereign LORD. Repent and live!”

2.Walk by faith
Philippians 4:4-7 “Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.”
3.Walk by the Spirit
Galatians 5:25 “Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit.”

Now, I could talk a while about the Spirit. But simply, the Spirit intercedes for us. The Spirit teaches us. (John 14) The Word instructs us to be filled with the Spirit. It also says that the Spirit sanctifies us. (II Thess. 2) The Spirit is God’s seal of ownership on us, “put in our hearts as a deposit.” (II Cor 1:22)

In a minute, we are going to take communion together.

I remember when I was a child and we took communion. I was so distracted by the event that I had no idea of what the point really was. You got the little cup with just enough juice in it to make you cough. There was the perfectly cube-shaped pieces of bread. The pastor would recite prayers and phrases over and over. I didn’t get it.

Then, I can remember the first time that I took communion in my parents’ church after I became Christian. I was 18 years old. I was so excited. I remember telling God, I’m going to take communion and I’m going to really get it. For all the times I’ve taken communion without a clue, I’m here today Lord, and I really mean it. You are my Lord. You died on the cross for me, for my sins. I am doing this in remembrance of what you did for me.

Jesus died for us, his heart was broken, and his blood poured out. That perfect sacrifice for our sins has given us eternal life.

Before you take the bread and the cup, take a moment and prepare your heart. The table is open, anyone may come. Jesus’ gives new hearts and new spirits to anyone who accepts Him.

I want to close with a prayer from Paul’s letter to the Ephesians.

Ephesians 3:16-21 “I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the saints, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge-that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God. Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen.”

No comments: