Sunday, April 8, 2018

Never Alone


I Samuel 21:10-22:5




Last week was Easter, and we took a step back from our series on David…or maybe it was a step up!  Tim shared about the Lord Jesus who is the greatest Shepherd and King.  Today, we return to our study of David.  David was a forerunner of Christ.  David was a humble shepherd as a boy, but God used that experience as part of his preparation to become king of the nation of Israel.  In this series, we are now in between the days when David was a shepherd and his ascendance to be king.


The path from shepherd to king has been neither straight nor smooth.  In chapter 20 of I Samuel, David and his friend Jonathan have come to a stark realization. Saul, the current king of Israel and Jonathan’s father, is determined to kill David.  At the end of chapter 20, David and Jonathan part ways.  David then flees to a place called Nob which was somewhat south of Gibeah, the town of Saul.  David receives some of the consecrated bread from Ahimelech the priest.  He also takes Goliath’s sword which had been kept a Nob.

That brings us to our passage for today.  Let’s pray and ask God to teach us.

Lord God, thank You for being our Shepherd and King.  Thank You that You never leave us nor forsake us.  Teach us today through the life of Your servant David.  Help us to see how we should live in trying and challenging circumstances.  In Jesus’ Name.  Amen.

That day David fled from Saul and went to Achish king of Gath.  But the servants of Achish said to him, “Isn't this David, the king of the land? Isn't he the one they sing about in their dances: ‘Saul has slain his thousands, and David his tens of thousands’?” –I Samuel 21:10-11

That very same day when David had arrived at Nob, he took the bread and sword, turned, and went to Gath.  Let’s look at a map to get an idea what’s going on.

There is a red box around Gibeah.  That is Saul’s home town.  Ramah (in the purple box) is the home town of Samuel.  That is where David had first fled from Saul in Chapter 19.  Ramah is mostly north of Gibeah.  Nob is marked by the red balloon.  It, on the other hand, is mostly south of Gibeah.  David’s first action is to flee in the opposite direction from where Saul had known David to have fled before.  Scripture doesn’t tell us David’s plan, but it seems likely that a skillful leader like David would want to avoid retracing his steps and increase his chance of escape.

The distance between Gibeah and Nob is relatively short, only a couple of miles.  In the verse we just read, David flees next to Gath, one of the five major cities of the Philistines.  Gath is below the blue arrow.  This is a much longer trip, more than 20 miles.  It would likely have taken David a couple of days to make that journey especially if he was trying not to draw attention to himself.

The Philistines of course were enemies of Israel, so why would David go there?  It seems rather likely that David was simply trying to go in a direction that Saul would least expect.

But, David was running into danger.  For one thing, he was recognized.  Keep in mind, this is long before cameras and selfies.  Even paintings, carvings and sculptures during this time were more stylized than realistic.  Perhaps this recognition has something to do with Goliath’s sword that David is carrying.  Regardless, David is so well known that even Israel’s enemies know who he is and remember his song.  Take note of what Achish’s servants say and don’t say.  They attribute David as king of the land because of the song which Saul hated so much.  But, they don’t go so far as to say that this is the David who killed Goliath the Philistine champion.  They conveniently leave out that part.

Dangerous and perhaps even deadly facts are quickly out in the open.  What is David to do?

David took these words to heart and was very much afraid of Achish king of Gath.  So he pretended to be insane in their presence; and while he was in their hands he acted like a madman, making marks on the doors of the gate and letting saliva run down his beard. –I Samuel 21:12-13

Naturally, David was afraid.  He could easily be taken prisoner or worse.  Psalm 56 captures David’s heart at this moment.  The introduction of this psalm attributes it to the time when the Philistines had seized David in Gath.

Be merciful to me, my God, for my enemies are in hot pursuit; all day long they press their attack.  My adversaries pursue me all day long; in their pride many are attacking me.  When I am afraid, I put my trust in you.  In God, whose word I praise--in God I trust and am not afraid. What can mere mortals do to me?  All day long they twist my words; all their schemes are for my ruin.  They conspire, they lurk, they watch my steps, hoping to take my life.  Because of their wickedness do not let them escape; in your anger, God, bring the nations down.  Record my misery; list my tears on your scroll-- are they not in your record?  Then my enemies will turn back when I call for help. By this I will know that God is for me.  In God, whose word I praise, in the LORD, whose word I praise--in God I trust and am not afraid. What can man do to me?  I am under vows to you, my God; I will present my thank offerings to you.  For you have delivered me from death and my feet from stumbling, that I may walk before God in the light of life.  –Psalm 56:1-13

This psalm has a tension in it which is not uncommon in David’s psalms.  David is crying out to God in his need, “Many are attacking me.”  And yet, David pivots toward God, placing his trust in Him.  Verse 3, “When I am afraid, I put my trust in You.”  Verses 4 and 11, “What can man do to me?”  Then, David’s praise expands into thanksgiving.  “I will present my thank offerings to you.”

David’s method of escape is something of the approach “not guilty by reason of insanity.”  He is desperate, and in his fear, he starts acting like a crazy person.  I would say it wasn’t his best day.  Did you ever do something that you thought later (or even at the time) was really dumb?  David loved the Lord and placed his faith firmly in God, but he still acted fearfully at times.  I don’t say that to tear David down.  I say that to remind us that we all struggle from time to time with our fears.  Sometimes we rest firmly in the Lord, and sometimes we may scratch the walls and drool on our beards.  In the end God is always with us as He was with David …

Achish said to his servants, “Look at the man! He is insane! Why bring him to me?  Am I so short of madmen that you have to bring this fellow here to carry on like this in front of me?  Must this man come into my house?” –I Samuel 21:14-15

Achish seems to have a pretty good sense of humor.  He also seems to be a pretty honorable person.  He will not imprison or execute a person who appears to be insane.  We will hear more of Achish later in May in this series.  David probably is motivated to return to Achish later because he was released at this time.

Upon his escape, David recorded another psalm.  This is Psalm 34.  In the introduction of this psalm, it was written “when he pretended to be insane before Abimelek, who drove him away, and he left.”  It is not absolutely clear why the name in the introduction Psalm 34 is Abimelek rather than Achish.  Most likely, it is the case that kings often had multiple names and titles.  The name Abimelek is also found in Genesis as a king of the Philistines, so perhaps the name Abimelek was a dynastic name carried through time.  Regardless, this psalm was written by David from the time when he pretended to be insane and was driven away.

I will extol the LORD at all times; His praise will always be on my lips.  I will glory in the LORD; let the afflicted hear and rejoice.  Glorify the LORD with me; let us exalt His name together.  I sought the LORD, and He answered me; He delivered me from all my fears.  Those who look to Him are radiant; their faces are never covered with shame.  This poor man called, and the LORD heard him; He saved him out of all his troubles.  The angel of the LORD encamps around those who fear Him, and He delivers them.  Taste and see that the LORD is good; blessed is the one who takes refuge in Him.  Fear the LORD, you His holy people, for those who fear Him lack nothing.  The lions may grow weak and hungry, but those who seek the LORD lack no good thing.  Come, my children, listen to me; I will teach you the fear of the LORD.  Whoever of you loves life and desires to see many good days, keep your tongue from evil and your lips from telling lies.  Turn from evil and do good; seek peace and pursue it.  The eyes of the LORD are on the righteous, and His ears are attentive to their cry; but the face of the LORD is against those who do evil, to blot out their name from the earth.  The righteous cry out, and the LORD hears them; He delivers them from all their troubles.  The LORD is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit.  The righteous person may have many troubles, but the LORD delivers him from them all; He protects all his bones, not one of them will be broken.  Evil will slay the wicked; the foes of the righteous will be condemned.  The LORD will rescue his servants; no one who takes refuge in Him will be condemned. –Psalm 34:1-22

In this Psalm we get a strong sense of David’s relief and joy.  The first psalm we read (Psalm 56) showed David’s heartfelt cry to the Lord for deliverance.  Psalm 34 shows the praise of an answered prayer for vindication and release.  I don’t know about you, but I think that I sometimes try to cap or restrain my joy.  There are good reasons.  When you see God move mightily in one case with healing or provision, but then you see another case where someone does not get well or where someone’s prayer does not appear to be answered, it would be cruel to rejoice when someone else is grieving.  But like many things, it is possible for the pendulum to swing too far.  It can become a habit to restrain our joy.  That is not good if it causes us to restrain our worship.  Let us praise God for His goodness, and even if the circumstances do not look good, we as believers can look forward with hope to an eternity of peace and joy in Christ.  Job in the midst of his suffering said it this way, “[Even] though He slay me, yet will I hope in Him … I know that My Redeemer lives, and that in the end He will stand on the earth. And after my skin has been destroyed, yet in my flesh I will see God; I myself will see him with my own eyes--I, and not another. How my heart yearns within me!” (Job 13:15, 19:25-27).  Job’s hope is in God even beyond death.  If our trust is in Jesus, we have Job’s hope.  We will be with God.

So now David is free again …

David left Gath and escaped to the cave of Adullam. –I Samuel 22:1

A cave is a great place to hide, but in general, they are not very inviting places to stay.  You need food and water and other resources.  Every step outside brings danger.  But inside, you are alone, alone in the dark.  That is a lonely place to be.  David again cries out to God.  This is recorded in Psalm 142 as it says in the introduction that it comes from when David was in the cave.

I cry aloud to the LORD; I lift up my voice to the LORD for mercy.  I pour out before Him my complaint; before Him I tell my trouble.  When my spirit grows faint within me, it is You who watch over my way. In the path where I walk people have hidden a snare for me.  Look and see, there is no one at my right hand; no one is concerned for me. I have no refuge; no one cares for my life.  I cry to You, LORD; I say, “You are my refuge, my portion in the land of the living.”  Listen to my cry, for I am in desperate need; rescue me from those who pursue me, for they are too strong for me.  Set me free from my prison, that I may praise your name. Then the righteous will gather about me because of your goodness to me. –Psalm 142:1-7

David again is speaking from his need, from his fears.  He is honest with God.  “When my spirit grows faint …” David is not always on a high.  David has complaints.  He has troubles.  He does not conceal those from God.  No one is with him … no one is concerned for him … no one cares for him … he is in “prison” … but he cries out to the Lord.  The Lord is his refuge and portion.

What is the result of David’s pleas to God?

When his brothers and his father's household heard about it, they went down to him there.  All those who were in distress or in debt or discontented gathered around him, and he became their commander. About four hundred men were with him. –I Samuel 22:1-2

It was surely a comfort to David to have his family join him.  There were many more who came to David.  The exact nature of those in distress, in debt, or discontent is not described.  Some commentators wonder if those included people who were connected to David in some way who Saul would now oppose or even accuse of some guilt because of past connections.

David became the commander or leader over these four hundred men.  Based on later accounts, some of these men would go on to make up part of David’s mighty men.  God used even this time of exile and pursuit to build up a group of faithful followers for David.  Perhaps that reminds us of men and women today who follow Jesus at great cost and risk.  Those faithful persecuted believers are being built up into the coming kingdom of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Again recorded in the psalms, David writes and sings during this time.  Similar to David’s time in Gath, this second psalm captures David’s hope and confidence in God’s deliverance.  This is Psalm 57 from when David had fled from Saul into the cave.

Have mercy on me, my God, have mercy on me, for in you I take refuge. I will take refuge in the shadow of Your wings until the disaster has passed.  I cry out to God Most High, to God, who vindicates me.  He sends from heaven and saves me, rebuking those who hotly pursue me-- God sends forth His love and His faithfulness.  I am in the midst of lions; I am forced to dwell among ravenous beasts-- men whose teeth are spears and arrows, whose tongues are sharp swords.  Be exalted, O God, above the heavens; let Your glory be over all the earth.  They spread a net for my feet-- I was bowed down in distress. They dug a pit in my path-- but they have fallen into it themselves.  My heart, O God, is steadfast, my heart is steadfast; I will sing and make music.  Awake, my soul! Awake, harp and lyre! I will awaken the dawn.  I will praise You, Lord, among the nations; I will sing of You among the peoples.  For great is Your love, reaching to the heavens; Your faithfulness reaches to the skies.  Be exalted, O God, above the heavens; let Your glory be over all the earth. –Psalm 57:1-11

The first psalm we read today was Psalm 56, and these two have several links between them.  Both are prayers of deliverance from fierce enemies.  Both start with a heartfelt appeal to God for help.  Both end with a sense of awakening and being delivered to walk in the light.

There is a feeling here that David is lying down in danger.  Verse 4 says “I am forced to dwell among ravenous beasts.”  The word dwell is literally to lie down.  Then, he is waking up the dawn in praise and worship.  Perhaps he has been joined by others, his family.

I wonder how these people were able to come to David.  If someone is hiding in a cave, I mean you can’t even get them on their cell phone, right?  Somehow, God has made it possible for them to come together.  Again, the glory goes to God.

From there David went to Mizpah in Moab and said to the king of Moab, "Would you let my father and mother come and stay with you until I learn what God will do for me?"  So he left them with the king of Moab, and they stayed with him as long as David was in the stronghold. –I Samuel 22:3-4

David takes care of his parents.  I’m a bit amazed by David’s courage.  He first went himself to the Philistines.  That was a pretty scary situation.  Now, David goes to another neighbor of Israel with his parents.  Moab is pretty much due east from the Philistines on the other side of Israel.  Saul had fought against Moab according I Samuel 14, so there would have been some animosity between the two nations.  It is true that David’s great-grandmother Ruth had come from Moab, so perhaps there were some possible connections there.  Regardless, God gives David favor with the king of Moab, and his parents stay there safely.  David is still uncertain what God will do for him, but he returns to Israel.

But the prophet Gad said to David, "Do not stay in the stronghold. Go into the land of Judah." So David left and went to the forest of Hereth. –I Samuel 22:5

David is accompanied by a prophet and later a priest even through his exile.  This is another contrast between David and Saul.  Saul drove away the prophets and priests by disobeying God.  David, though he has no standing and is effectively a fugitive, is joined by priest and prophet.  In this passage, I think we can see why.  Even though Gad’s news was probably not welcome, David followed God’s direction to leave the stronghold.

Gad will continue to serve David through this time and through his coming reign as king and continue to deliver God’s messages to David.  He also helps David with musical arrangements for the temple services and writes a history of David’s reign.  It is interesting to see that God builds up David’s royal entourage even during his exile.  Friends made during that time of adversity are David’s true friends.

The region of Hereth is not far from Adullam.  It is within five miles.  And yet, it is not a stronghold.  David’s faith is and will be tested by all of this living and moving about.  It brings to mind Jesus’ words, “Foxes have dens and birds have nests, but the Son of Man has no place to lay his head” (Matthew 8:20; Luke 9:58).  We can reflect on this truth in David’s life.  Often, I desire comfort over just about anything else.  Can’t things be settled?  Why do things have to break down?  And yet, God tests and grows our faith in and among the challenges we face.  We need to be mindful of David’s response and be faithful.  Sometimes, we will be happy to follow God’s ways, but sometimes it may prove to be difficult.  I think these are especially important times to persevere.  “Let us not grow weary in doing good for in due time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up” (Galatians 6:9).

Today’s passage has carried us along rapidly with David in his flight from Saul.  He has run into danger and escaped.  He has found safety and even community, but he was told by God through the prophet to come away from the safe place.  Our title today was “Never Alone.”  It is encouraging to see how God brought David’s own family alongside him as well as a sizeable group of supporters.  It is clear that this is part of God’s fulfillment of that concept of David never being alone.

At the same time, we see from the psalms that David’s heart is not resting in the help and support of people whether friend or family.  Rather, David’s hope and strength is in the Lord.  We’ve read through the four psalms already, but I thought we could close the message today by returning to some of the precious promises, exhortations and David’s requests to God which we saw in those four: Psalms 34, 56, 57 and 142.

Here are some of the promises from God to us.

Attention:  The eyes of the LORD are on the righteous, and His ears are attentive to their cry. The righteous cry out, and the LORD hears them; He delivers them from all their troubles.
Protection: Those who look to Him are radiant; their faces are never covered with shame.
Provision:  Those who fear Him lack nothing; those who seek the LORD lack no good thing.
Love and Faithfulness:  God sends forth His love and His faithfulness.
For great is Your love, reaching to the heavens; Your faithfulness reaches to the skies.
Refuge:  When my spirit grows faint within me, it is You who watch over my way.
“You are my refuge, my portion in the land of the living.”
Salvation:  The LORD is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit.  The LORD will rescue his servants; no one who takes refuge in Him will be condemned.
Deliverance: The angel of the LORD encamps around those who fear Him, and He delivers them.  The righteous person may have many troubles, but the LORD delivers him from them all. You have delivered me from death and my feet from stumbling that I may walk before God in the light of life.

In light of the promises from God, His amazing love, and His awesomeness, David gives us these exhortations or commands:

Extol and glorify the Lord:  I will extol the LORD at all times; His praise will always be on my lips. I will glory in the LORD; Glorify the LORD with me; let us exalt His name together.
Seek the Lord:   I sought the LORD, and He answered me; He delivered me from all my fears. This poor man called, and the LORD heard him; He saved him out of all his troubles.
Taste and see that the LORD is good; blessed is the one who takes refuge in Him.
Fear the LORD, you His holy people
keep your tongue from evil and your lips from telling lies.
Turn from evil and do good;
seek peace and pursue it.
Put your trust in God:  When I am afraid, I put my trust in you.  In God, whose word I praise--in God I trust and am not afraid. What can mere mortals do to me?
Give thanks to God:  I will present my thank offerings to you.
Take refuge in God:  I will take refuge in the shadow of Your wings until the disaster has passed.
Cry out to God:  I cry out to God Most High, to God, who vindicates me.  He sends from heaven and saves me; I cry aloud to the LORD; I lift up my voice to the LORD for mercy.  I pour out before Him my complaint; before Him I tell my trouble.  I cry to You, LORD; I say, Listen to my cry, for I am in desperate need; rescue me
Be devoted to God:  My heart, O God, is steadfast, my heart is steadfast
Praise God:  I will sing and make music. Awake, my soul! Awake, harp and lyre! I will awaken the dawn.  I will praise You, Lord, among the nations; I will sing of You among the peoples.

One final group, David makes bold requests of God.  These are things which we too can ask God.

Ask for Mercy:  Be merciful to me, my God, Have mercy on me, my God, have mercy on me, for in you I take refuge.
Ask for Justice:  Record my misery; list my tears on your scroll-- are they not in your record?  Then my enemies will turn back when I call for help. By this I will know that God is for me.
Ask for Deliverance:  Look and see, there is no one at my right hand; no one is concerned for me. I have no refuge; Set me free from my prison, that I may praise your name.
Ask for God to be Exalted:  Be exalted, O God, above the heavens; let Your glory be over all the earth.

I hope that the Lord has given you a few ideas of ways to draw near to Him.  We are never alone in Christ.  Let’s pray.

Lord Jesus, we need You.  I pray for each heart here today.  May we draw near to You trusting and calling on You.  Thank You for Your precious promises to each one of us.  Teach us to depend on You as David did.  Equip us to walk before You in the light of life.  All this we pray in Jesus’ Name.  Amen.

No comments: