Sunday, March 4, 2018

When They Know that You Know



1 Samuel 19:1-17
 
It’s been a couple of months since I’ve had the privilege of teaching on a Sunday morning, and much has changed in the Rollins household in those short months.  For those of you who struggle with math, we proved that on occasion, one plus one really does equal three when welcomed Elise Marie into the world late in the evening of December 7th, 2017. Some of you have been able to meet her, and the rest of you will have a chance as soon as the flu bug dies back some more.  We praise God for a safe delivery, even though it wasn’t how we planned it, for a healthy daughter, and for a church family that demonstrated the love of Christ in so many ways as we adjusted to life as a family of three.  I want to publicly thank all of you for the meals and cards you sent.  The meals were a tremendous blessing as I went back to work very soon after Elise was born.

I could spend all day talking about Elise, but we’re here for a better reason. Let’s pray and jump right in.

Lord, we thank You that You teach us through Your Word.  May our hearts be open to listen today, and may Your truth speak clearly into our lives.

Let’s start by going back to a couple passages from the last two weeks.  Two weeks ago, we saw how the Israelites literally sang David’s praises in the streets after his victory over Goliath and the Philistines.

The women sang as they played, and said, "Saul has slain his thousands, And David his ten thousands." Then Saul became very angry, for this saying displeased him; and he said, "They have ascribed to David ten thousands, but to me they have ascribed thousands. Now what more can he have but the kingdom?" –I Samuel 18:7-8

When he heard this, Saul became very angry and jealous.  Up to this point, I can’t find that we are specifically told that he knows that David has been appointed as his successor.  He was just jealous of David’s success and became fearful that the people would turn against him and follow after David.  He says “What more can [David] have than the kingdom?”  He has everything else, including the hearts of the people.  What else is left for him to win over?

Last week, we saw that David was more successful on the battlefield than all of Saul’s commanders.

Then the commanders of the Philistines went out to battle, and it happened as often as they went out, that David behaved himself more wisely than all the servants of Saul. So his name was highly esteemed. –I Samuel 18:30

Keep in mind that David was probably no more than 25 years old at this time.  We don’t have any way of knowing exactly how old he was at this time, but we’re fairly sure that David was only about 17 or 18 when he killed Goliath.  So here is a young buck coming up and showing all the old timers how it’s done.  And they don’t like it.  They’re probably bad mouthing him to Saul, but the rest of the army loves him.

We’ve seen time and again that God is with David because David makes it a priority to seek God.  Saul, on the other hand, has forsaken God and could care less about whether or not God approves of his actions.  With that in mind, let’s move on to this week’s passage.  It starts off with a very gloomy verse:

Now Saul told Jonathan his son and all his servants to put David to death. But Jonathan, Saul's son, greatly delighted in David. –I Samuel 19:1
           
Saul is now so jealous and insecure that all he can think of is ending the “threat” to his reign.  He knows God told him that He would take the kingdom away, although God hasn’t yet told Saul to whom He will give the kingdom.  But Saul apparently has decided or suspects that it is going to be this little whippersnapper David.  And Saul isn’t ready to relinquish his power yet. 

Contrast this with what we’ve seen out of Jonathan so far.  Jonathan loves David as much as he loves himself. He has given David his sword (one of only two in the entire nation) and princely tunic.  Jonathan has basically relinquished his role of crown prince to David.  What makes the story of Jonathan and David so much more powerful is to understand a little more about Jonathan and David ages.  How many of you think that they were about the same age?  Me too, until I started looking into this a little more.  About 2 years after Saul became king is when Jonathan and his armor bearer attacked the Philistine garrison.  Mosaic Law required that men be at least 20 to serve in the military.  We know that David was 30 years old when he became king, and Saul was king for 40 years, meaning that David was born 10 years into Saul’s reign.  Thus, Jonathan was at least 28 years older than David.  Let that sink in.  Here was a perhaps 46 year old man, crown prince of Israel, who essentially gave up his position to an 18 year old boy, because he loved David as himself. 

Jonathan went straight to David to warn him of the danger.  He also devised a plan to gather more information to send to David to keep him safe.

So Jonathan told David saying, "Saul my father is seeking to put you to death. Now therefore, please be on guard in the morning, and stay in a secret place and hide yourself.  I will go out and stand beside my father in the field where you are, and I will speak with my father about you; if I find out anything, then I will tell you." Then Jonathan spoke well of David to Saul his father and said to him, "Do not let the king sin against his servant David, since he has not sinned against you, and since his deeds have been very beneficial to you.  For he took his life in his hand and struck the Philistine, and the LORD brought about a great deliverance for all Israel; you saw it and rejoiced. Why then will you sin against innocent blood by putting David to death without a cause?" –I Samuel 19:2-5

Jonathan went to his father the king and said, “What did he ever do to you?  He volunteered to fight Goliath to save all of Israel; when he killed Goliath you even rejoiced with him.  Why do you want to kill him?  The man is innocent.”  So, Saul, for whatever reason, promises Jonathan that he will spare David. 

Saul listened to the voice of Jonathan, and Saul vowed, "As the LORD lives, he shall not be put to death." –I Samuel 19:6

Saul is quick to say what others want to hear.  This oath shows his lack of sincerity toward God.  He uses God’s name in vain to make this oath, and not just any name for God either.  Look at the word “LORD” in this verse.  It’s in all caps, symbolizing that it was translated from the ceremonial, unpronounceable Hebrew name YHWH, Yahweh.  Some scholars believe these four Hebrew letters were erroneously transliterated by Roman scholars as JHVH, leading to the name Jehovah.   But debate aside, Yahweh means the Existing One.  Essentially, Saul says that so long as the existing one lives, he won’t kill David.

Then Jonathan called David, and Jonathan told him all these words. And Jonathan brought David to Saul, and he was in his presence as formerly. –I Samuel 19:7

I have to admit, this verse confuses me.  Of all the people to know Saul’s propensities, wouldn’t Jonathan be one of the best?  Why did Jonathan believe Saul?  Why did he bring David back?  Was he hopeful for some reason that Saul would actually, finally keep his word?  We really don’t know.  But David is back, serving Saul again.

When there was war again, David went out and fought with the Philistines and defeated them with great slaughter, so that they fled before him. Now there was an evil spirit from the LORD on Saul as he was sitting in his house with his spear in his hand, and David was playing the harp with his hand. Saul tried to pin David to the wall with the spear, but he slipped away out of Saul's presence, so that he stuck the spear into the wall. And David fled and escaped that night. –I Samuel 19:8-10

God continues to bless David.  He again crushes the Philistines, again infuriating Saul.  So the next time David is playing his harp for Saul to help alleviate the evil spirit, here comes the spear a third time.  This time with such force, that it is embedded into the wall.  David decides that the third time is the charm, and he flees. 

Then Saul sent messengers to David's house to watch him, in order to put him to death in the morning. But Michal, David's wife, told him, saying, "If you do not save your life tonight, tomorrow you will be put to death." So Michal let David down through a window, and he went out and fled and escaped. Michal took the household idol and laid it on the bed, and put a quilt of goats' hair at its head, and covered it with clothes. When Saul sent messengers to take David, she said, "He is sick." Then Saul sent messengers to see David, saying, "Bring him up to me on his bed, that I may put him to death." When the messengers entered, behold, the household idol was on the bed with the quilt of goats' hair at its head. So Saul said to Michal, "Why have you deceived me like this and let my enemy go, so that he has escaped?" And Michal said to Saul, "He said to me, 'Let me go! Why should I put you to death?'" –I Samuel 19:11-17

David runs to the one place he feels safe: home.  Except this time, Saul sends a bunch of his henchmen to set an ambush for David.  Michal, Saul’s own daughter and David’s wife, helps him escape.  But we run across a couple of interesting points in this section. The first is the term “household idol.”  Based on what we know of David so far, I highly doubt he knew this thing existed in his own home.  I don’t see David allowing such a thing under his roof.  Secondly, Michal lies to her father to save her husband.  In both cases, the author simply states facts; he neither condones nor condemns either action. 

David is now on the run.  He’s terrified, has no idea where he is going.  So he turns to the only Person he knows won’t let him down: God.  We see this in a couple of his psalms.  For example, Psalm 59.  This was probably written much later as he reflected on this very trying time in his life.  In verses 1-5, he starts by calling out to God for protection.

For the choir director; set to Al-tashheth. A Mikhtam of David, when Saul sent men and they watched the house in order to kill him.

Deliver me from my enemies, O my God; set me securely on high away from those who rise up against me. Deliver me from those who do iniquity and save me from men of bloodshed. For behold, they have set an ambush for my life; fierce men launch an attack against me, not for my transgression nor for my sin, O LORD, for no guilt of mine, they run and set themselves against me. Arouse Yourself to help me, and see! You, O LORD God of hosts, the God of Israel, awake to punish all the nations; do not be gracious to any who are treacherous in iniquity. Selah –Psalm 59:1-5

Notice how David ends the opening section.  He appeals to God as the LORD (all caps again) God of Hosts – the Existing One, God of angel armies.

They return at evening, they howl like a dog, and go around the city. Behold, they belch forth with their mouth; swords are in their lips, for, they say, "Who hears?" But You, O LORD, laugh at them; You scoff at all the nations. –Psalm 59:6-8

Dogs in Israel were considered unclean.  They scavenged the streets looking for scraps to eat.  Some translations refer to them as howling or snarling: howling to alert others to their find, while at the same time snarling to fight of other packs.  His enemies at the end verse 7 assume that no one knows of their actions.  They thought they were going to get away with their sin, forgetting that God sees all.

Because of his strength I will watch for You, for God is my stronghold. My God in His lovingkindness will meet me; God will let me look triumphantly upon my foes. –Psalm 59:9-10

David is again relying on God as his fortress and trusting in His lovingkindness, or in other translations, His steadfast love or mercy.

Do not slay them, or my people will forget; scatter them by Your power, and bring them down, o Lord, our shield. On account of the sin of their mouth and the words of their lips, let them even be caught in their pride, and on account of curses and lies which they utter. Destroy them in wrath, destroy them that they may be no more; that men may know that God rules in Jacob to the ends of the earth. Selah.

They return at evening, they howl like a dog, and go around the city. They wander about for food and growl if they are not satisfied. But as for me, I shall sing of Your strength; yes, I shall joyfully sing of Your lovingkindness in the morning, for You have been my stronghold and a refuge in the day of my distress.
O my strength, I will sing praises to You; for God is my stronghold, the God who shows me lovingkindness. –Psalm 59:11-17

David begins verse 11 in a most peculiar way: “Do not slay them, lest my people forget….”  He doesn’t want his enemy destroyed.  He just wants the enemy humbled so that Israel will remember who God is and praise Him.  Again, he sees the prowling dogs; but yet again, David runs to straight to the Rock.  “O my strength, I will sing praises to You!”

In Psalm 11, David again takes refuge in the Lord.

For the choir director. A Psalm of David.

In the LORD I take refuge; how can you say to my soul, "Flee as a bird to your mountain; for, behold, the wicked bend the bow, they make ready their arrow upon the string to shoot in darkness at the upright in heart. If the foundations are destroyed, what can the righteous do?" The LORD is in His holy temple; the LORD'S throne is in heaven; His eyes behold, His eyelids test the sons of men. The LORD tests the righteous and the wicked, and the one who loves violence His soul hates. Upon the wicked He will rain snares; fire and brimstone and burning wind will be the portion of their cup. For the LORD is righteous, He loves righteousness; the upright will behold His face.

Again, David rests solely on God.  “For the Lord is righteous; He loves righteousness; The upright will behold His face.”  He knows that God will not forsake Him.  God has called him to a higher purpose.  David was certain “that He who began a good work in you will perfect it” (Philippians 1:6).

Where do we rest when times get hard?  On ourselves?  On the hope that people are innately good and will eventually realize that they are harming others and stop?  Or do we allow our weary souls to find rest in God alone?  This song, written by Stuart Townend and Aaron Keyes and based on Psalm 62, encourages us to choose the Lord:

My soul finds rest in God alone,
My Rock and my salvation;
A fortress strong against my foes,
And I will not be shaken.

Though lips may bless and hearts may curse,
And lies like arrows pierce me,
I'll fix my heart on righteousness,
I'll look to Him who hears me.

O praise Him, hallelujah,
My Delight and my reward;
Everlasting, never failing,
My Redeemer, my God.

Find rest, my soul, in God alone
Amid the world's temptations;
When evil seeks to take a hold
I'll cling to my salvation.

Though riches come and riches go,
Don't set your heart upon them;
The fields of hope in which I sow
Are harvested in heaven.

I'll set my gaze on God alone
And trust in Him completely;
With every day pour out my soul
And He will prove His mercy.

Though life is but a fleeting breath,
A sigh too brief to measure,
My King has crushed the curse of death
And I am His forever.

Let’s pray.  Lord, thank You that You have crushed the curse of death for us.  May we remember to rely on You each day rather than on ourselves.  Lead and guide us this week, we pray.  Amen.

No comments: