Sunday, January 28, 2018

Goliaths in Your Life



1 Samuel 17:1-11

Now the Philistines gathered their forces for war and assembled at Socoh in Judah. They pitched camp at Ephes Dammim, between Socoh and Azekah. Saul and the Israelites assembled and camped in the Valley of Elah and drew up their battle line to meet the Philistines. The Philistines occupied one hill and the Israelites another, with the valley between them.

A champion named Goliath, who was from Gath, came out of the Philistine camp. He was over nine feet tall. He had a bronze helmet on his head and wore a coat of scale armor of bronze weighing five thousand shekels; on his legs he wore bronze greaves, and a bronze javelin was slung on his back. His spear shaft was like a weaver’s rod, and its iron point weighed six hundred shekels. His shield bearer went ahead of him.

Goliath stood and shouted to the ranks of Israel, “Why do you come out and line up for battle? Am I not a Philistine, and are you not the servants of Saul? Choose a man and have him come down to me. If he is able to fight and kill me, we will become your subjects; but if I overcome him and kill him, you will become our subjects and serve us.” Then the Philistine said, “This day I defy the ranks of Israel! Give me a man and let us fight each other.” On hearing the Philistine’s words, Saul and all the Israelites were dismayed and terrified. –1 Samuel 17:1-11

           
One of the best things to do in trying to understand the Bible better is to ask good observational questions.  We could ask: Who is in this story...where is the location...what did the author say...what did the author not say?  So, if we use this tool then we can have a more accurate understanding of this story.  For example, how many times does the author mention David in 1 Samuel 17:1-11?  Zero.  How many times does the author mention the name Israel?  Five.  Saul is mentioned three times.  Up to this point, the hero hasn’t entered the picture.  It’s about Israel, the Philistines, Saul and Goliath.

I’ve heard many sermons talk about this story from David’s perspective.  This morning I want to address this story from the perspective of the Israelites.  And instead of seeing Goliath as a trial like timidness, or relationship problems, or financial setbacks or a difficult boss, etc, I want to picture him as something else.  Let me try to explain.

Saul and the Israelites didn’t have to do what Goliath said.  Goliath told them to “Choose a man and have him come down to me…” (1 Samuel 17:8)  Saul could have rallied the Israelite army to face the entire Philistine army.  Apparently, Goliath knew that they had the upper hand and that Saul wasn’t going to do that.  They were stalling.  The Philistines either had more power, more people, more weapons, better weapons, more courage, or all the above.  They were calling the shots.  They were making the rules.

I’ve had my fair share of Goliaths over the years.  When I was a little boy, I watched professional “wrastling” with my friends.  After a show was over we would immediately go outside to wrestle in the backyard.  One of my friends, Jonathan, was tall and skinny like me.  My other friend was taller than us and weighed as much as my friend and I combined.  My Goliath’s name was Donnie.  He was a nice guy.  But once we started wrestling he transformed into a beast.  It was always Jonathan and I versus Donnie.  The first one would take one for the team and just dive into Donnie as hard as he could.  The other one would jump on Donnie’s back, give a choke hold with all his might while the first one recovered from his concussion. 

I liked Donnie even though he gave me many bruises.  But one thing I disdained was that he would change the rules while we wrestled.  Instead of the goal being to pin your opponent’s back to the ground for three seconds, he would change the rule.  The goal would be to get your opponent in a Figure Four Leg Lock and make your opponent submit by saying “You’re the master!” 

Jonathan and I knew that there was no way to get Donnie in a Figure Four Leg-Lock.  To this day, it bothers me when people change the rules.  Growing up, some of you may not have been blessed to have watched such culture-rich television programming as professional “wrastling.”  So, you may not know what a Figure Four Leg-Lock is.  Just know one thing.  It was painful.  Donnie knew that we could possibly work together to pin him to the ground but it was highly unlikely to submit him.  What were Jonathan and I going to do?  Even if we pinned him to the ground he could still get up and put the leg-lock on us anyway and say that he won.  We were doomed. 

Inevitably, I would get hurt.  I would bang my knee on a rock.  (By the way, rocks were harder back in my day.)  Or I would hit my head on his knee.  (Knees were harder back in my day too.)  It would take me a few moments to recover.  I was vulnerable in those moments.  But my friend would always come to my rescue and fight for me when I was down.  He would give me enough time to recover and jump back into the match.  The times that Donnie was on top of me, squeezing the very life out of me, I was dependent upon someone else to fight for me. 

When Donnie would do the Belly Flop of Death on me, Jonathan would jump on Donnie’s back with both knees, while at the same time sticking his fingers’ into Donnie’s nose and pulling back as hard as he could.  That would usually do the trick, even though it was slightly illegal.  We called it something like The Nostril Surprise.  When it got to that point then the match was over.  Donnie was so incredibly mad that he couldn’t see straight.  The two Skinny Samurais would use their elusive capabilities to stay away from the angry giant.  We were too afraid to be Figure Four Leg-Lock(ed) so we both ran to our homes and locked the doors. 

The Israelites knew they were in for a beat down of a lifetime as they faced the Philistines.  What one man could face this giant?  Maybe multiple men could face him and stand a chance.  But only one?  Could you imagine what you would have felt if you were in the Israelite’s shoes?  Hopelessness and fear would easily take over.  The people of Israel were in no position to make demands or change the rules.  They were at the mercy of someone else.

It’s amazing how similar their situation is to mankind’s situation throughout the history of the world.  I think the “Goliaths” each of us face could be challenges like timidness, relationship problems, financial setbacks, or a difficult boss, among many other things.  But, today, I’m referring to “Goliath” as sin.  It’s a big, ugly giant that won’t go away.  It calls you out from across the valley, unfazed by your puny flesh you want to fight it with.  You feel hopeless realizing that you’re as good as beaten. Your first inclination is to ignore it or just to stall for a while hoping it will leave.  But when you get out of your tent in the morning you hear the sound of the “Goliath” taunting you.  This is not an army of people fighting an army of sin.  It’s one-on-one. 

But you hear a rumbling in the multitude.  As you get closer you hear people say that someone is coming.  A man is coming.  Someone who would “play by the rules” so-to-speak.  This is just like the promise of the messiah.  There would be a man coming, a descendant of David, who would be called God.  He is the only one who could defeat sin.  He had no sin, he didn’t create the problem, and yet he took our place on the cross taking the judgment and death we deserve. 

Think of the similarities of Israel’s battle and our battle with sin.  First, one man would have to step in to fight the battle.  Jesus, being fully God, became a man.  Just as sin came through one man, Adam, so freedom came through one man, Jesus Christ.  Israel’s freedom would have to come through one man as well.  Second, the people would have to trust one man to do the fighting.  They couldn’t do the fighting themselves.  You feel vulnerable when you’re in a situation like this.  When we put our trust in Jesus Christ, then we’re putting our whole lives into His hands.  I felt vulnerable when Donnie had my frail body pinned down.  I was dependent upon Jonathan to fly in to rescue me.  Jesus fought our battle for us.

This is what communion is about.  In a few moments we’ll drink juice and eat bread.  This act is for Christians who need a reminder of the sacrifice Jesus made.  The juice represents the blood that He shed for us and the broken bread is a reminder of His broken body.  So, what does it look like for a person to trust in God?  Psalm 9 shows an example of someone’s prayer life as they were trusting God while they faced their own “Goliaths”:

I will praise you, O Lord, with all my heart; I will tell of all your wonders.  I will be glad and rejoice in you; I will sing praise to your name, O Most High. My enemies turn back; they stumble and perish before you. For you have upheld my right and my cause; you have sat on your throne, judging righteously.  You have rebuked the nations and destroyed the wicked; you have blotted out their name for ever and ever.  Endless ruin has overtaken the enemy, you have uprooted their cities; even the memory of them has perished.  The Lord reigns forever; he has established his throne for judgment. He will judge the world in righteousness; he will govern the peoples with justice.  The Lord is a refuge for the oppressed, a stronghold in times of trouble.  Those who know your name will trust in you, for you, Lord, have never forsaken those who seek you.  Sing praises to the Lord, enthroned in Zion; proclaim among the nations what he has done.  For he who avenges blood remembers; he does not ignore the cry of the afflicted. O Lord, see how my enemies persecute me!  Have mercy and lift me up from the gates of death, that I may declare your praises in the gates of the Daughter of Zion and there rejoice in your salvation.  The nations have fallen into the pit they have dug; their feet are caught in the net they have hidden.  The Lord is known by his justice; the wicked are ensnared by the work of their hands.  The wicked return to the grave, all the nations that forget God.  But the needy will not always be forgotten, nor the hope of the afflicted ever perish.  Arise, O Lord, let not man triumph; let the nations be judged in your presence.  Strike them with terror, O Lord; let the nations know they are but men.—Psalm 9

No comments: