Sunday, June 12, 2016

God's Temple

I Corinthians 3:10-17

Welcome! Today we continue our series in I Corinthians, looking at verses 10-17 of chapter 3. I want to start today by telling you about my slightly exciting adventure the Friday before last. I came to work early, before almost anyone was around, parked and came through the basement entrance of my building on campus. There, as I have many times before, I got in the elevator and waited to be transported to the third floor. The elevator beeped as we passed by the 1st floor, beeped again as we passed by the 2nd, and just before I expected to hear the final beep and have the doors open, the elevator lurched to a stop. At the same time, the number three on the control panel which had suddenly been lit turned off, and so did the lighted display up at eye level of the number three.

I tried pushing the number three again, but nothing happened, nothing lit up. I tried pressing other numbers – again, nothing. Now I am getting concerned. I look more carefully at the elevator and notice there is a button with a picture of a bell on it. I press it, and a bell rings quietly. That’s not going to do any good, I thought, since nobody is here. Then I noticed a little door below the control panel. I opened it and found a phone with a keypad. I picked up the receiver and heard a dial tone, so I dialed 911.


“Hello, this is Clemson University 911. How can I help you?” a young-sounding person on the other end of the line asked. “My name is Carl Baum and I am stuck in an elevator in the Fluor Daniel Building.”

“Really?” he asked. I don’t think it was my imagination, but he sounded excited, even happy to me. I guess the Clemson University 911 doesn’t get many people calling who are actually stuck in elevators.

He asked me how many people were in the elevator and I told him it was just me. He then asked, “Are you all OK? Are there any health problems?” “I am just fine,” I replied. He told me that he would call for the fire department to come out and rescue me. Then he asked for my cell phone number. I told him that I was in a metal box and you can’t get reception in a metal box.” “Really?” he asked.

You need to understand that I am a professor in electrical engineering who specializes in wireless communications. It took me a heroic effort to refrain from trying to explain to him exactly why you can’t receive a wireless signal inside a metal box. I succeeded. He said goodbye and I hung up.

I then had nothing to do, but literally after a few seconds it dawned on me that I hadn’t tried to manually force the doors open. I doubted that would work, but it couldn’t hurt to try. I pictured myself getting the doors open and finding myself halfway between floors, having to decide whether to climb up or crouch down low to the ground and then jump down. I pulled on the doors and found they did indeed open, although you had to pull hard. I got the doors partway open and realized that I was not halfway between floors but only about 6 inches shy of my destination. I took the small step out of the elevator and went to my office, where I immediately called 911 back and explained that I had gotten out and didn’t need a fire rescue, but that the elevator was definitely broken and would need fixing. They said they would call off the fire department and inform operations to fix the elevator.

Fast forward to Tuesday, I again come in through the basement. Do I use the elevator or climb 3 flights of stairs? Part of me really didn’t want to use the elevator. The main reason I didn’t want to use it was because I didn’t want to get trapped again – not because I was scared, but because it would have been super embarrassing to call 911 again. I could just imagine the 911 operator telling all his buddies about how this poor schlep got stuck not once but twice and I couldn’t stand the thought of that. Foolish, isn’t it? Prideful, isn’t it? Why do I care so much about my dignity? So what did I do? Did I take the elevator or not? I’ll tell you later in the message.

This story actually does tie into today’s message on I Cor. 3:10-17. I want to back up one verse, though, for context, to verse 9.

For we are co-workers in God’s service; you are God’s field, God’s building. – I Cor. 3:9

We are given two metaphors for, well, us: God’s field (we are like a field that God works), and God’s building (we are like a building that God builds). The word translated “field” here indeed refers to a cultivated field, where the ground is broken up, the rocks removed, the seed planted, and a crop is growing. It’s a very alive kind of thing, not just a bunch of dirt. You should picture not something like modern single-crop fields, but something much more interesting – many crops are grown, perhaps also an olive grove, a vineyard, and perhaps also buildings to support this work of growing crops. Perhaps there is also a wall around the field for protection, a watchtower, a winepress, and so on. The picture here is that God is building something quite special, something protected and secure that will be producing much fruit, many crops, for a long, long time. This is not something shoddy, but something quite impressive. You are God’s field!

The word here for “building” is similarly not just a simple four-wall structure, but something again quite impressive. The type of building (one of several root words to this word) is domos which describes a family residential complex, the kind used by the wealthiest Roman families. We are talking about a place with many rooms for particular purposes, connected by various passageways, including an atrium with its large square opening to the sky and its marble water collection pool on the ground underneath, a receiving room, a dining room, bedrooms, servants’ quarters, a kitchen, and so on. There is fine art and statues everywhere. I know that some of you have played with computer design tools at designing a dream house – this is the idea of what God is doing with us. You are God’s dream house in the process of being built!

Unlike that building I work at, where the elevator didn’t work, or unlike maybe your home, where you are constantly having to fix things that break down, God’s building is something that is ultimately not subject to human error or the forces of nature and decay. God’s building is something that is made to last forever.
And unlike the tower of Babel, where man tried to build a tower to the heavens, to make himself equal to God, this tower is not being built in opposition to God, but by God. God is the architect and builder! But not only God. So are we. We are co-workers with God in this amazing building project. The Greek word here is synergos from which we get synergy. We both have roles to play, not separate roles, but working intimately together.

How does God build? Many ways, from leading people to Christ to showing them that after 26 years they still care far too much about their dignity. How do we work with him as co-workers? Many ways, from following His promptings to reach out to unsaved people we meet or know to, even after 26 years, experiencing God’s pointing out areas of sin or falling short (literally what the Greek word for sin means is missing the mark) and responding in prayerful repentance and humility.

Why does Paul remind the Corinthians of this? Well, one reason is that they needed to hear it. The verses preceding this, as John shared last week, highlighted how they were not working together even among themselves; they were taking sides, creating divisions, one saying they followed one person and another saying they followed another. Paul was trying to get them to see that by doing this they were thwarting the work God wanted to do.

And so it is important to understand that, using the analogies of this verse, God isn’t saying that He is making a separate cultivated field for each of us (or out of each of us) or that he is making a separate dream home for each of us (or out of each of us). He is saying that there is ONE field, ONE dream home, and we all are being made into a part of it. And we all need to work synergistically with God and with each other so that we contribute to, rather than hinder, His building work. 

With this background we are ready to move into today’s passage, starting at verse 10.

By the grace God has given me, I laid a foundation as a wise builder, and someone else is building on it. – I Cor. 3:10a

Paul is not boasting here – he is simply stating what is true, that he was the one who first brought the gospel to the Corinthians. He had lived with them for an extended period, helping them to understand the Old Testament scriptures and the teachings of Jesus. He was helping them learn how to live out what they were learning to believe. He was discipling them, helping them to grow in Christ, but then he had to leave. After that, others among their own number had risen in maturity so that they could continue to build what Paul, empowered by Christ, had started. The same is true for us, both individually and collectively.

When I think about my life, I think about some of the believers at our sister church in Champaign IL back in the late 1980s and early 1990s who built into me. There was one pastor who especially helped me grow through his teachings and by his example of humility and faith. There were a number of friends who also helped me with how to have quiet times and how to live out what I believed. These people laid my “foundation,” and then when I came to Clemson, others continued to build – not just pastors, although pastors certainly contributed significantly, but also many of you. This is how it should be; whether you move from one location to another or whether you stay in the same place, at least some of the people who build into you come and go. To misquote the title of a book I have never read, “it takes a village” to build a Christian.

I think we take this for granted, but I want to point out that it is actually pretty remarkable. This often doesn’t work very well in other areas. I took piano lessons from age 5 until age 23. I can tell you that with piano instruction, teachers at the higher levels have their own styles, their own methods of technique, and it is difficult for a student to switch from one to another. I switched teachers around 5th grade, and it was a difficult transition as I had to unlearn some bad habits my first teacher allowed. Similarly, in college I switched to a fantastic teacher, a professor at UCLA, and it took years to “unlearn” some of the (otherwise good) habits and practices I had earlier to go to a new better method that my teacher used. Although I am not a sports person, I have heard the same kind of thing repeatedly when one gets to the higher performance levels in sports.

This is often true in industry and in business as well. It takes a long time to train someone in a new job position, because the way that particular company does things is invariably significantly different from the way the employee did things with their previous employer.

But for Christianity this should not be true. Yes, there might be minor differences in doctrine or in how you “do” church when you meet together, but how you live out your life as a Christian should be the same wherever you go. This is in part because we all have the same “manual” and it is also because we share the same Spirit. This is why you can meet a new believer and almost instantly connect with them on a deep level if you talk about the Lord with them. Again, you may take this for granted, but I marvel even when we meet together as Faculty Commons, our Christian faculty group on campus. I have easily and quickly made deep connections with people from a variety of churches, a variety of cultural backgrounds, and a variety of races. God is building one building!

And so we can view what God is building (and we get to participate in) as individual works in the lives of each believer, but there is also the view of what God is building in local bodies of believers, in regions, and then in the entire body of all believers in the world. God is drawing people from every tribe and nation to Him, and if not here on earth, then certainly in heaven, we will see just how grand and awesome is God’s building work!

But Paul, led by the Spirit, continues with a warning:

But each one should build with care. For no one can lay any foundation other than the one already laid, which is Jesus Christ. If anyone builds on this foundation using gold, silver, costly stones, wood, hay or straw, their work will be shown for what it is, because the Day will bring it to light. It will be revealed with fire, and the fire will test the quality of each person’s work. If what has been built survives, the builder will receive a reward. If it is burned up, the builder will suffer loss but yet will be saved—even though only as one escaping through the flames. – I Cor. 3:10b-15

Build with care! [Think Jenga.] I am reminded of a recent Faculty Commons devotional sent by Prof. Sam Matteson, a retired professor, who, reflecting back on his career, said this:

“Was I a success? 1. Twelve years of my tenure were spent as an administrator. But now to my dismay, prudent policies that I implemented lie abandoned like yesterday’s newspaper. 2. In a scientific career begun to ‘boldly go where no man had gone before,’ [hey, he’s a physics professor, so he’s going to be a little nerdy!] few tangible accomplishments survive. While it gives me a ‘nice’ feeling to know that some few truths that my collaborators and I uncovered have advanced knowledge, they now belong to the category of What Everybody Knows. 3. While I remain friends with many former students, I doubt that they remember most of the physics that I taught them.

“What remains of thirty years? Paradoxically, the most enduring effect of my career manifests itself in the most ephemeral place: the lives of people. For example, on the first day of class, simply identifying myself as a Christ-follower […] prompted many students to seek me out to chat about ultimate issues. On other occasions, I would meet for lunch with a student or a junior colleague. […]

“Looking back, I see that much of what I built was fabricated of wood, hay, and stubble, but – thanks be to God – some of my construction materials were provided by our Lord: gold, silver, and precious gems.”

This for me is deeply profound. As I have struggled over this past year with an increased workload, largely of my own choosing, but something I felt at the time led by the Lord to do, Sam’s words have at certain times chastised me and at others brought me great encouragement.

There are countless ways we can build with the wrong materials. Here are a few:

1. We can focus on a particular teacher’s teachings “on top of” the Bible rather than on God’s Word itself. This can happen via well-meaning Christian books, seminar speakers, homeschool curricula, and other ways.

2. We can focus on doctrine to the exclusion of “heart.”

3. We can focus on emotions to the exclusion of sound thinking.

4. We can ignore the sin in our lives.

5. We can focus so much on our careers that we neglect our spouses or our children. (We may tell ourselves that we are doing it to model diligent work to our coworkers or our families but what they may see is simply a workaholic.)

6. We can focus on entertainment or adventure or on simply living the “good life.”

7. We can try to build the kingdom solely with money. (Giving is good, but it is only one small piece of what God wants from us.)

8. We can mix up our western culture and values with Christian ones. (They are not one and the same! This is a constant danger in foreign missions.)  

9. We can let pride get in the way of what God wants to do with and through us – just as I almost allowed pride to keep me from riding the elevator. (By the way, I did ride it, and nothing went wrong.) These are just a few examples – there is unfortunately no limit to the number of wrong ways to build!

I encourage you to let it sink in deeply within you that these wrong ways will have no lasting fruit. If you put in a floor wrong in a house, all you can do is rip it all up and start over. Fire will test the quality of your work, and my work – all of our work! As that physics professor reflected, so should we reflect, and not just at the end of our careers. What materials are you building with right now?

Don’t you know that you yourselves are God’s temple and that God’s Spirit dwells in your midst? If anyone destroys God’s temple, God will destroy that person; for God’s temple is sacred, and you together are that temple. – I Cor. 3:16-17

A switch of metaphors: You are God’s temple. This is an astounding statement. Unfortunately we tend to gloss over it, so let’s spend some time really thinking about the implications. The word for temple is naos or naon which refers not to the entire temple complex, but only to the Holy Place and the Holy of Holies. Even when the word is used in the classical Greek setting it is similar: it refers not the entire pagan temple but specifically to the inner sanctuary where the statue of the god was placed.

In the Temple in Jerusalem, of course, there was no mere statue of God, but instead the Shekinah, the presence of the very Spirit of God, sometimes described as having the appearance of a cloud, other times described in other ways, but always described as awesome and holy and even terrible to behold, in the sense that one’s own utter unworthiness and sin was all one could think about when in that perfect presence. People in the presence of the Shekinah repeatedly felt that they must be about to die, because no sinful man could look on God and live. This wasn’t just something people were told, it was something they knew deep down inside when they saw God’s presence. But now you are God’s inner temple! You are now the place where the Shekinah is!

That Greek word naos or naon has as a root the verb naio which means to dwell.  So the temple was not really associated with a building at all, except indirectly – more directly it meant the place where God dwells. And so I encourage you think about this as you contemplate that “you are God’s temple.” You are the place where God indwells, where He lives, where He will remain.

I am reminded of something Jesus said to the Pharisees and other leaders, part of His “seven woes”:

Woe to you, blind guides! You say, ‘If anyone swears by the temple, it means nothing; but anyone who swears by the gold of the temple is bound by that oath.’ You blind fools! Which is greater: the gold, or the temple that makes the gold sacred? You also say, ‘If anyone swears by the altar, it means nothing; but anyone who swears by the gift on the altar is bound by that oath.’ You blind men! Which is greater: the gift, or the altar that makes the gift sacred?  Therefore, anyone who swears by the altar swears by it and by everything on it. And anyone who swears by the temple swears by it and by the one who dwells in it. And anyone who swears by heaven swears by God’s throne and by the one who sits on it. – Matt. 23:16-22

The immediate context here was that the Pharisees were playing a game, kind of like saying that if you make a promise but have secretly crossed your fingers while making the promise, then the promise doesn’t really count. Well, crossing your fingers doesn’t invalidate anything anymore than swearing by the wrong thing invalidates anything. But let’s focus on the last two sentences: anyone who swears by the temple swears by the one who dwells in it. The importance of the temple is who lives there – God Himself. This goes for heaven too; the real importance of heaven is that it is where God sits on His throne.

So what is your importance? I would argue that there is cosmic significance to the fact that you are where God dwells. Yes, God loves you and you are made in His image, and all of this gives you great significance, but also there is tremendous significance to the fact that you are one of the locations where God dwells. And if you remain “in” Him, seeking to obey what He shows you, seeking Him, then His dwelling inside of you will be a throne room, and as you obey Him, He will be sitting on His throne.

In Matthew 26 it is recorded that when Jesus died, the veil, the thick curtain of the temple, 60 feet long, 30 feet wide, and one full inch thick, tore in two from top to bottom. Often people explain this as a symbolic picture of how the separation between the Holy God and sinful man has been removed forever. I think this is a valid interpretation, but I also think the tearing of the veil was a non-symbolic picture that “God had left the building.” That veil separated God from the sinful people; in terms of the most holy place, in the center, only the high priest could go there, and only after purifying himself and only once a year. The veil was there to keep people from looking on God’s presence and dying. But with the death and then resurrection of Christ, the veil was no longer needed because God would no longer dwell in this building built by men. Why? Because He was moving to dwell within us! God illustrated this with the tongues of fire that settled on the disciples in Acts 2.

One of Jesus’ accusers, in the trials of Jesus, as recorded in Mark, said something ironically true:

Then some stood up and gave this false testimony against Him: “We heard Him say, ‘I will destroy this temple made with human hands and in three days will build another, not made with hands.’” Yet even then their testimony did not agree. – Mark 13:57-59

It was a false testimony, yes, in the literal sense that they accused Jesus of plotting to overthrow the temple building. But it was ironically true in another way, a deeper way, because God did leave that building, turning it from a naon into a mere shell (with a torn veil). And a new naon was built, not by human hands, but by the atoning work of Christ and the resurrection – the naon that is inside each of us. This is an incredible thing.

Let’s revisit the I Corinthians passage.

Don’t you know that you yourselves are God’s temple and that God’s Spirit dwells in your midst? If anyone destroys God’s temple, God will destroy that person; for God’s temple is sacred, and you together are that temple. – I Cor. 3:16-17

Note that we are collectively God’s temple. The “Southern American” translation of the Bible (the “SAB”) for this verse might read as follows:

Don’t you know that y’all are God’s temple and that God’s Spirit dwells in all y’all’s midst? If anyone destroys God’s temple, God will destroy that person; for God’s temple is sacred, and all y’all are that temple.

We aren’t temples, plural. We are that temple, singular. We, the bride of Christ, are a bunch of individuals but God also sees us as one, in Him. Unity, as we have seen, was a big problem for the Corinthian church. They didn’t understand who they were – the single bride of Christ, the single temple of God’s Spirit.

Practically, this means that we should live like what we are. It means we should be a part of each other’s lives. It means we should be a family. God’s Spirit resides in us not just so that we don’t sin (as much); He resides in us so that we can be one, one in Him.

And just as a good husband protects his wife, God protects us. It’s actually a rather shocking statement: If anyone destroys God’s temple (that’s us), God will destroy that person. The SAB version of this might read “If you hurt my wife, you are going to meet the front end of my shotgun, and it’s going to be the last thing you ever meet.”

I think of when the people were carrying the ark and it started to fall and someone touched it to keep it up – he died! It is hard for us to understand why God would be so, well, strict about this – but He is God; He is holy, and He does not allow the profane to touch the holy.

Now, we are God’s inner temple – you could think of it like we are His ark. And so, despite our sinfulness, in Him we have been made holy. Thus that strictness applies to those who “touch” us as well. He will destroy those who try to destroy His temple, and we are that temple. I believe the Old Testament situation with the ark was a picture for us of how God feels about us. We are His bride, and in Him we are without spot or blemish. He already gave His life for us. And now He will guard us, punishing most severely those who try to harm us.

And so I hope you really take to heart these metaphors – of being God’s great construction project, working with Him to build His church, and of being God’s inner temple, the place where His presence dwells. These are awesome truths, transforming truths, if we really embrace them.

No comments: