Sunday, April 12, 2015

Introduction to Parables Series

Matthew 13:10-17, Judges 9:1-20
Once upon a time, a group of trees went out to anoint for themselves a king. They looked around and then leaned their branches in the direction of an olive tree, one from among their number, aiming them at him like long pointy fingers. They moved in closer and closer, now crowding the olive tree so much that they began to knock off some of its olives to the ground. They said, “Olive tree, you be our king.” The olive tree replied, “What, and give up providing my oil, sought after throughout the world by regular men and by lords? This is my purpose, to serve man in this way. I was never meant to rule over you. That is God’s job. No thanks.”

The trees looked around again and this time focused on a fig tree. Their branches began to move, and in a little while no longer aimed at the olive tree but instead pointed to the fig tree. Again they moved in closer and closer, now crowding the fig tree so much that some of its figs also fell to the ground. As one, they all said, “Fig tree, you be our king.” The fig tree replied, “What, and give up providing my tasty wonderful fruit loved throughout the world? This is my purpose, to serve man in this way. I was never meant to rule over you. That is God’s job. No thanks.”

The trees looked around yet again. They looked up high, and then they looked down low. Looking close to the ground, their focus now fixated on a grape vine. Their branches bent down as well until they all pointed at this vine. Yet again they crowded the vine, almost trampling it, breaking off a number of its clusters of grapes. They said, “Grape vine, you be our king.” The grape vine replied, “What, and give up providing my wine, which cheers men and lords throughout the world (and makes them tipsy when they drink too much, although that is not my fault)? This is my purpose, to serve man in this way. I was never meant to rule over you. That is God’s job. No thanks.”

The trees looked around one more time. They thought there was no one else to ask, until they noticed a small but tough, scraggly-looking thornbush. Their branches began to move towards it. Once again they began to crowd it, but this time the thornbush held its own; rather than knocking something off the thornbush, when branch met branch it was the thrornbush that did damage, creating long, ugly scars and gashes on the branches of the other trees. Soon the other trees were so entangled with the thornbush that they could not pull away even if they had tried. But they didn’t try. Instead, they said, “Thornbush, you be our king.” The thornbush replied, “If you really want me to be king over you, come even closer, although I cannot promise that I won’t scratch you and harm you and take your fruit more than I have already. (Actually, that is exactly what I intend to do.) But if you change your mind, let me warn you: I may have fire come out and consume you all, even the giant cedars!”

----

We all love a good story. Our culture is absolutely enamored with storytelling. Movies, books, television – I am certain that we consume many, many times more stories than any past culture or civilization. Why are stories so powerful? Why do we love them so much? They capture our imagination; they speak to our hearts; they stir things in us, longings, hopes, even fears, in ways that no “direct” approach ever could.

In some stories, the story is the story; that is, the very events and actions of the story are the, well, the whole story. But in other stories, there are layers. There are deeper meanings, available to those open and willing to reflect on things. Parables are short stories that do this.

I really like what John MacArthur has to say about parables: “Now, what is a parable?  ParabolÄ“.  It really means para, meaning alongside.  It means to lay something alongside something else, so to place something alongside something else so that a comparison can be made.  That’s basically what it came to mean, a comparison or an illustration. You have a spiritual truth that may be hard to be understood.  You lay alongside of it a physical, earthly story which gives understanding to that spiritual truth.  That is a parable.  The term parabolÄ“ is used in the Greek Old Testament, the Septuagint, 45 times, which indicates to us that it was a very common form of Jewish teaching. It is an extended comparison.  It is taking something very, very external, very observable, very objective, very earthly and laying it alongside something spiritual, supernatural, heavenly and subjective so that one helps you to understand the other.  I guess you could sum it up by saying it’s an earthly story with a heavenly meaning.  That is a parable.” 

So even the word for parable is itself somewhat parabolic! This picture of someone laying something alongside so that we would understand the first thing better is powerful to me, especially when I realize the “someone” is God Himself.

This leads me to another quote about parables, this one from Richard Chenevix Trench, who wrote in the 1800s: “[Parables] assist to make the truth intelligible; analogies from the natural world […] are arguments, and may be called as witnesses, the world of Nature being throughout a witness for the world of spirit, proceeding from the same hand, growing from the same root, and being constituted for the same end. All lovers of truth readily acknowledge these mysterious harmonies, and the forces of arguments derived from them.”
If you think deeply on this you may start to wonder about some mind blowing things. We went to the plant sale at the Botanical Garden yesterday, and as I was thinking about this message and parables in general, I wondered about why God made plants and their whole growing from seed thing the way He did. Could it be that plants grow from seeds primarily so that Jesus could give His multiple parables involving seeds?  

Now sometimes, even when a story has a deeper meaning, we simply don’t see it. As a child, I absolutely fell in love with C.S. Lewis’ Narnia series of books. I read them over and over. To this day there is no work of literature that I have read more times than the seven Narnia books. But although I loved them, I had no idea what they really were about. It was some time after I was saved, after I became a believer in graduate school that I began to think back on the books, and I was suddenly and forcefully struck by the realization that these seven books were entirely about Christ, really. I was blown away. Back then I felt kind of foolish for not realizing it earlier, but now I think the real reason was worse than foolishness; it was a willful blindness, a refusal to open my eyes, a determination to remain shallow, a pride in myself that actually made me stupid; C.S. Lewis in Narnia writes about all the talking beasts and how if they act like the dumb non-talking beasts long enough, they can actually revert and become them – well, that too was parabolic speech, and I now think I was well on my way to becoming, spiritually speaking, one of those non-talking beasts myself.

I have long identified with what the University of Texas professor J. Budziszewski writes in “Escape from Nihilism,” his account of how he came to faith in Christ. He first points out that some people flee from God by robbing and even killing; others may do drugs or fall into sexual sin. But, he writes, “when I fled from God I didn’t do any of those things; my way of fleeing was to get stupid.” He goes on to say, “Visualize a man opening up the access panels of his mind and pulling out all the components that have God's image stamped on them. The problem is that they all have God's image stamped on them, so the man can never stop. No matter how much he pulls out, there's still more to pull. I was that man. Because I pulled out more and more, there was less and less that I could think about. But because there was less and less that I could think about, I thought I was becoming more and more focused. Because I believed things that filled me with dread, I thought I was smarter and braver than the people who didn't believe them. I thought I saw an emptiness at the heart of the universe that was hidden from their foolish eyes. Of course I was the fool.” Later he writes, and I identify with this as well, “The next few years after my conversion were like being in a dark attic where I had been for a long time, but in which shutter after shutter was being thrown back so that great shafts of light began to stream in and illuminate the dusty corners. I recovered whole memories, whole feelings, whole ways of understanding that I had blocked out.”

My hope and prayer for us in this series is that something like this would happen to all of us, even those of us who are believers. My prayer is that as we study the parables of Christ, we would not just have our ears tickled but our hearts pierced. Jesus didn’t tell His parables to atheists, but to Jews, to people who at least said they believed in the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob. These were people and who believed that they believed in Him. But they had let themselves grow dumb. They became comfortable with their distance from God. My prayer is that we would be shaken from our complacence and comfort, that shutter after shutter would be thrown back and that, unlike Toad in last week’s drama who went back to bed after being temporarily blinded by the intensity of the sun after a long slumber, we would enter the light and let God really speak truth individually to us, that we would really allow Him to change our thinking, our actions, our entire lives.

Now please don’t misunderstand me; it’s not that I think we are a bunch of total fakes who don’t follow Christ at all; I think entirely the opposite! But I do think we all have areas that we hold Him back, areas that we don’t let Him in. My prayer is that as we explore Christ’s parables, we would finally let Him in everywhere.

Now I have two passages I want us to focus on today. The first of these is in Matthew 13. To give a little context, I want to start with the first part of Matthew 13:3, which simply says,

Then He told them many things in parables, saying: - Matt. 13:3a

Any time spent in the gospels will show you that Jesus used parable after parable, again and again, when speaking to the people that gathered around Him. Just in this one chapter, Matthew 13, is the parable of the sower, the parable of the weeds, the parable of the mustard seed,  the parable of the yeast, the parable of the hidden treasure, the parable of the pearl, and the parable of the net. And so it is not perhaps surprising that in Matthew 13:10 we have the following:

The disciples came to Him and asked, “Why do You speak to the people in parables?” – Matt. 13:10

This is an important question. Was it to make truth, especially abstract truth, easier to understand? Was it so that they would remember the lesson better? Was it simply so that more people would pay attention? You have to admit that I had your attention at the beginning of this message. Was it so that the topics would hit home, hit people personally more? Although I think these are all real benefits of teaching with parables, none of them are the answer Jesus gives in Matthew 13. Here is Jesus’ answer:

He replied, “Because the knowledge of the secrets of the kingdom of heaven has been given to you, but not to them. Whoever has will be given more, and they will have an abundance. Whoever does not have, even what they have will be taken from them. This is why I speak to them in parables: Though seeing, they do not see; though hearing, they do not hear or understand. – Matt. 13:11-13

Now it is important to really understand this answer. It’s not that Jesus is saying that from now on, nobody will ever get to understand and come into faith again; that goes against the whole point of why Christ came and died on the cross. It was because He loves us.

The best and most succinct answer I have seen is from a commentary on the website Stackexchange (http://christianity.stackexchange.com/questions/14863/what-does-matthew-1311-12-mean):

“The basic idea is that when Jesus spoke in parables, they were great in drawing people with open hearts to Him while driving those with hard hearts into deep confusion. Parables were a common mode of teaching among the Rabbis, but Christ used them in such a way that heaven shined down upon the most mundane every day practices of life. He also used them almost exclusively, which was not normal at all. Especially the more people began to reject Him, the more He spoke strictly in parables and His parables took a greater tone of warning. They were deeply illuminating to the heart open to God. They were foolish nonsense, provoking mad frustration to those hard of heart. Therefore, they had a winnowing effect. They divided people. Some were left asking questions, seeking and knocking, others left stumbling and cursing questions.
“In general, Christ's parables spoke about the nature of His kingdom. How one was in it, or not, based on their nature, which would eventually show itself good or bad. Everything was about the nature of a person, not their works, but a good nature would grow up good, and a bad nature [would] grow up bad. To enter into this kingdom of life, one had to believe in Christ, receive His seed, believe His word and be a new creature. In the end, the bad creatures, weeds, fish, would be tossed, burned, weep and gnash their teeth, etc. The good creatures by virtue of their being in the kingdom, would be congratulated, rewarded, etc. The language was vague enough to confuse anyone who was self-righteous not knowing they needed faith and re-birth, but anyone who longed for forgiveness and felt the strings of their heart moved and warmed by Him whose words were eternal life, the same were drawn in.
“We can see this play out as when Christ started to say things hard to understand and receive, such as the need 'to eat His flesh', it was too much for many and they left Him. The disciples were also confused but their hearts were drawn in and they could not leave Him.
“In other words that which was a blessing to those open to God became judicial in judgment to those who were not open to God. Like a magical filter His parables bought His sheep into the gate, and closed it in confusion to those who were not His sheep. His sheep were introduced into the gospel obtaining an eternal new birth. His enemies had no idea of anything he said and thought it was just meaningless babel. Even the form of knowledge they had of God was taken away when rejecting Christ, leaving them […] in utter confusion.”
Jesus went on to say:

In them is fulfilled the prophecy of Isaiah: You will be ever hearing but never understanding; you will be ever seeing but never perceiving. For this people’s heart has become calloused; they hardly hear with their ears, and they have closed their eyes. Otherwise they might see with their eyes, hear with their ears, understand with their hearts and turn, and I would heal them. – Matt. 13:14-15

So this confirms that it was not that Jesus was arbitrarily shutting some people out; the use of parables didn’t keep out anyone who truly had repentant hearts, who was open to the wooing of the Spirit.

I believe the same is true today when it comes to reading the Bible. For someone closed to God, reading the Bible is just confusion and confirms their biases that it is all foolishness. But to someone open to the Spirit of God, the Bible is unlike any other book; it has boundless wisdom, it speaks straight to your heart, it leaves you different than when you started. I still remember reading the Bible for the first time in graduate school, starting in Genesis 1. My heart was pretty closed all through Genesis the first time I read it, and I thought it was nonsense. But something happened somewhere in Exodus; I finally began to become humble (or humbled might be a better word); I saw myself in those sinful Israelites in the desert, and the Bible began to come wondrously alive to me.

The passage Jesus quotes is Isaiah 6:9-10. Interestingly, it is Isaiah’s commission by God; it comes immediately after Isaiah had the vision of the Lord and the Seraphim, when Isaiah cried “Woe to me; I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

Jesus is the King! There can be no king but Jesus, or you will ruin your life. It is fascinating to think about how the King is quoting this verse, this vision, of Himself! Recall that the Seraphim took the coal to Isaiah’s lips, explained that Isaiah’s guilt was taken away, his sin was atoned for, a foreshadowing of Christ’s work on the cross. And then he asked who will go, and Isaiah said, “Send me!” And the message? This very message!

Humility, a contrite heart, a genuine hunger for God – these things are necessary if we really are to approach God. We can’t come to Him thinking that we can do it in our own righteousness, our own strength. These things are antithetical to knowing God. We know these things in our heads; but I am afraid we sometimes forget them in our hearts. The parables are one way that God reminds us. Not understanding the Bible is one way God sometimes reminds us. Feeling like God is distant from us is one way that God sometimes reminds us. Feeling overwhelmed by the challenges of life is one way that God sometimes reminds us. He reminds us because He loves us. When He closes Himself to us it is because He loves us.

But blessed are your eyes because they see, and your ears because they hear. For truly I tell you, many prophets and righteous people longed to see what you see but did not see it, and to hear what you hear but did not hear it. – Matt. 13:16-17

We aren’t left there. These words bring such joy to my heart! If you are a believer, how blessed you are! To know God’s love, to experience His Spirit, to grow because of Him, to be a part of His work here on Earth – these are all tremendous blessings available to us in Christ.

I opened with a story; now I want to tell you the rest of the story. This story actually was my personal enhancement of a story found in Scripture, a true parable not in the Gospels, not in the New Testament at all, but in the book of Judges. I want to read it to you unadorned, straight from Scripture.

Let me start by giving you a little background. The Israelites have taken the Promised Land. Up until this time the Israelites had not had a king. Having a king was not forbidden, but Moses (led by God) had given the Israelites warnings; including that it must be the person the Lord chooses, it must be a fellow Israelite, not a foreigner, and the king must not acquire wealth or many wives.

Well, in the time of the judges, Gideon was used by God as a military leader. The people then decided they wanted him to be king. At this time, he had one son. But Gideon said “I will not rule over you, nor will my son rule over you. The Lord will rule over you.” So far so good, right? Do you hear echoes of my opening story?

But Gideon also asked that each person give them an earring from their share of the plunder of the Ishmaelites. They did so happily, and it came to be a huge bounty, violating one of the warnings in Deuteronomy for kings. Gideon made the gold into an ephod (like a vest) which he placed in his home town. But then the Israelites went there to worship it, and “it became a snare to Gideon and his family.”

The problems didn’t end here; Gideon (also called Jerub-Baal) went on to marry many wives (another thing kings were told not to do) and had 70 sons. He also had a concubine who gave him a son that he named Abimelek which means – are you ready for this? – my father is king!

After Gideon died, Abimelek went to his mother’s family and asked them whether it was better to have the 70 sons of Gideon to rule over them or whether it was better that he, Abimelek, do so? After all, he said, he was related to them; plus, he was just one man. The people agreed with Abimelek and gave him money that he used to hire bad people who became his followers. He then went to his father’s hometown and killed all 70 sons of Gideon, all but one, Jotham, the youngest son, who escaped. Then the people went to crown Abimelek king. We pick up the story in Judges 9:7.

When Jotham was told about this, he climbed up on the top of Mount Gerizim and shouted to them, “Listen to me, citizens of Shechem, so that God may listen to you. One day the trees went out to anoint a king for themselves. They said to the olive tree, ‘Be our king.’ “But the olive tree answered, ‘Should I give up my oil, by which both gods and humans are honored, to hold sway over the trees?’ – Judges 9:7-9

“Next, the trees said to the fig tree, ‘Come and be our king.’ “But the fig tree replied, ‘Should I give up my fruit, so good and sweet, to hold sway over the trees?’  “Then the trees said to the vine, ‘Come and be our king.’  “But the vine answered, ‘Should I give up my wine, which cheers both gods and humans, to hold sway over the trees?’ – Judges 9:10-13

“Finally all the trees said to the thornbush, ‘Come and be our king.’ “The thornbush said to the trees, ‘If you really want to anoint me king over you, come and take refuge in my shade; but if not, then let fire come out of the thornbush and consume the cedars of Lebanon!’ – Judges 9:14-15

“Have you acted honorably and in good faith by making Abimelek king? Have you been fair to Jerub-Baal [Gideon] and his family? Have you treated him as he deserves? Remember that my father fought for you and risked his life to rescue you from the hand of Midian. But today you have revolted against my father’s family. You have murdered his seventy sons on a single stone and have made Abimelek, the son of his female slave, king over the citizens of Shechem because he is related to you. – Judges 9:16-18

So have you acted honorably and in good faith toward Jerub-Baal and his family today? If you have, may Abimelek be your joy, and may you be his, too! But if you have not, let fire come out from Abimelek and consume you, the citizens of Shechem and Beth Millo, and let fire come out from you, the citizens of Shechem and Beth Millo, and consume Abimelek!” – Judges 9:19-20

So here we have an Old Testament parable, and it is pretty clearly explained. I share it in part to show you an example of an Old Testament parable, to point out that Jesus didn’t invent parables, although He did take them to a whole new level.

But I also share it because it vividly reveals man’s nature and desire to have any king but God. Jesus and only Jesus should be our king. In this section of Judges, the people struggled with this – and failed, Gideon struggled with this – and failed, and Abimelek struggled with this – and failed. What a contrast to Isaiah, who said, Woe to me; I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.” We should have no king but Jesus. Not ourselves, not our careers, not our material desires, not our own comfort. Remember Jesus’ quote from Isaiah: For this people’s heart has become calloused; they hardly hear with their ears, and they have closed their eyes. Is there even a hint of this in your life? Who or what is really your king? Hear with your ears! Open your eyes! If Jesus is not on the throne of your life right now, ask Him to return to His rightful place! He is not the thornbush you have put there; He is the very Tree of Life. Even if for a long time He has been your Redeemer, your Savior, let Him now be your King.

No comments: