Sunday, March 23, 2014

Relying on His Love

I John 4:1-16
Good morning and welcome everyone!  We continue today with the I John series: "In the Light."  I don't know about you, but there is something appealing about the thought of walking in the light.  And yet, if we are used to walking in darkness, we can continue to do it sometimes without even realizing it.

We were redoing our boys bedroom (for several months), and they were sleeping in the basement.  They were happy to move back upstairs, but honestly, sleeping downstairs was no big strain for them.  They were a lot closer to the playroom.  It was much easier for the Legos to happen to migrate to where their mattresses were.

In the morning, I would come down to ride on my exercise bike.  Since it was before the time change, there would be enough light that I could just barely find my way safely past the corner of David's mattress and around to the work room where I could close the door and turn on the light.

Well, we got the boys moved back upstairs.  And the time changed so that it was darker in the morning and light longer in the evenings.  And yet, I would keep on walking through the basement in the dark until I could get to the work room.  That is until the day that I kicked a small cart that we have for moving homeschool notes and things around.  It's like a collapsable hand truck.  Elijah really loves to drive it all around, so when it is not in use, rather than getting put away, it usually gets left out wherever Elijah decides to park it.

That morning, I must have been feeling particularly optimistic about my night vision.  I came cruising around the corner of the bookshelf (which I had navigated perfectly, by the way) and I kicked right into that hand truck.  I didn't break a toe.  I didn't fall down.  It wasn't a cataclysmic life changing event, but there was an immediate realization that I was walking in the dark for no reason whatsoever.

I could have turned on the light.  Having the light on would have disturbed no one.  In fact, the only thing that would have happened by having the light on would have been my own protection.  It would have kept me safe.  Now that is a transferrable thought.  As we continue and finish up this series, I encourage you to ask, "Are there any areas of my life where I'm in the dark?"  If so, I encourage you to bring them into the light as we are encouraged to do in Ephesians 5,

For you were once darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Live as children of light (for the fruit of the light consists in all goodness, righteousness and truth) and find out what pleases the Lord.  Have nothing to do with the fruitless deeds of darkness, but rather expose them.  For it is shameful even to mention what the disobedient do in secret.  But everything exposed by the light becomes visible for it is light that makes everything visible.  This is why it is said: “Wake up, sleeper, rise from the dead, and Christ will shine on you.”  Be very careful then, how you live [walk, NASB and KJV]– not as unwise but as wise …  Ephesians 5:8-15

Let's pray that God will guide us into the light in all the areas of our lives:

Lord Jesus, we need You to illuminate our souls.  Father of lights, You delight in Your children.  You have no shade, You have no turning.  You are constant and never changing in Your love.  May we continually realize that You desire to shine upon us and transform our lives from darkness into light.  May we no longer be conformed to this world, but be renewed by Your transforming Spirit.  In Jesus Name, Amen.

Today, we are going to continue with this idea of seeing clearly.  John is not going to use the word light, but he is going to offer us some warnings so we can stay on the right track, following God.

Let's begin with verse one there in chapter four:

Dear friends, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world.  I John 4:1

You may remember that Tim ended last time with verse 24 in chapter 3.  There it says, "This is how we know that [God] lives in us: We know it by the Spirit He gave us."  So, John is continuing that thought, following it up with a warning.  We have an encouragement from the Lord, the Holy Spirit placed in us.  Ephesians 1 calls it a seal or deposit guaranteeing our inheritance.  That's good news.

John is warning us that someone who comes and says, "Hey, I've got the Spirit, too," may have a spirit all right, but it may not be the right one.  You can read about an example in I Kings 22.  King Ahab was a wicked king of Israel.  God was going to allow him to be destroyed because of all the evil he had done.  Ahab was counseled by 400 prophets of foreign gods to go into battle and that he would be victorious.  Micaiah a prophet of the true God said, "No," that Ahab would be killed.  Micaiah also explained that the prophets of the foreign gods have been led astray by a lying spirit in their mouths.

Those false prophets of Micaiah and Ahab's time were led astray by lying spirits, not the Spirit of God.  Likewise today, John is saying false prophets, false leaders, and false teachers will be going out into the world and taking people away from God and into harm and even destruction.

So, how can we avoid these false prophets, and spirits that are not coming from God?  John gives us a succinct test:

This is how you can recognize the Spirit of God: Every spirit that acknowledges that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is from God,  I John 4:2

This idea of acknowledging is a bit more than intellectually agreeing who Jesus is.  If you remember, the demons cried out (before Jesus silenced them) that He was the Son of God.  James 2:19 says that the demons believe there is one God.

This word "acknowledge" is also translated "confess" or "profess" in other translations.  We are talking about someone willing to make a public confession of who Jesus is and what He has done for us.

"but every spirit that does not acknowledge Jesus is not from God. This is the spirit of the antichrist, which you have heard is coming and even now is already in the world."  I John 4:3

So there is the litmus test.  One who will not confess that Jesus is from God.  Not everyone who says that Jesus is from God has the Spirit, but definitely, everyone who won't does not have the Spirit. 

That's kind of a sticky wicket isn't it.  Who knows what a sticky wicket is?  Or, maybe a better question is, who doesn't know what a sticky wicket is?

In croquet, you hit the ball through those little gates.  The gates are called wickets.  A sticky wicket is one where it is blocked by another ball so that you can't hit your own easily through the gate. Therefore, a sticky wicket.

With respect to I John, whether or not someone names the name of Jesus being a guarantee of whether or not they are a Christian, whether or not they have the Spirit of God, that can be a bit of a sticky wicket.

I say that because I have known and do know people who would confess that Jesus is the Son of God, and yet, the fruit of their own lives is such that I would say that there is no way that they could have the Spirit of God working in their lives.  Paul talks about such people in Titus 1:16.  He says, "They claim to know God, but by their actions they deny him.  They are detestable, disobedient and unfit for doing anything good."

John is more specific on his qualification for the proof of having the Spirit of God than not having the Spirit.  He does say that it is people who confess that Jesus came in the flesh.  That is an indicator that the person would believe that Jesus was a sacrifice for our sins.  Some of the gnostic heretics had weird ideas that Jesus was Spirit only or that He inhabited a body only for a time, but really was not actually a man.  A true believer in Jesus would recognize that He is both fully God and fully man.

That is pretty hard for us to wrap our heads around.  Jesus Himself said that He did not do anything apart from the Father.  So, He did not exercise any authority or power in the flesh other than what God had given Him.  He lived His 33 years on this earth the same way that we do, except He did it without sinning.  Talk about humility!

In the end, I come back to I Samuel 16:7 and what the Lord told Samuel about choosing Jesse's youngest son David to be king ahead of his older, stronger and more mature brothers.  "Man looks at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart."

And, what is in our hearts does tend to work it's way out over time.  Jesus said to the Pharisees in Luke 16:15, "You are the ones who justify yourselves in the eyes of men, but God knows your hearts.  What is highly valued among men is detestable in God's sight."  If someone is doing first the things that are highly valued among men, that is also a clue that they do not have the Spirit of God in them.

That was a detour a little longer than I anticipated.  Lets get back to the rest of verse 3.  We saw the term antichrist back in chapter 2.  This is ultimately a reference to Satan and the one he will set up as a ruler in this world.  John is warning us that the spirit of Satan is working in this world even before this physical antichrist will come.  There is an enemy who wants to steal, kill and destroy.  He is the father of lies and when he lies, he is speaking his native language.  (John 8:44)

You, dear children, are from God and have overcome them, because the One who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world.  I John 4:4

This is a tremendous promise.  The One who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world.  John Bullard shared the verse, John 14:30.  There Jesus says that the prince of this world is coming and he has no part in Jesus.  He has no hold, no power over, no claim, nothing.

If we feel confounded by circumstances or claims that people make, we should run to Jesus, the one who is greater than he who is in the world.  A little child gets this.  The older we get, the harder it is for us to run to the one who loves us, the one who helps us.

Elijah and I had a showdown this week.  I don't know why it is, but I've experience this with all of our kids.  The crazy thing is, you never see it coming.  One night this week, I was trying to work on something at the dining room table.  Elijah comes and climbs up in the chair at the end of the table.  It was too far away from the table, and I didn't want him trying to reach the table and fall out of the chair.  All I wanted him to do was sit down just long enough so that I could pull the chair in.  Then, I wouldn't care if he was standing in the chair.  My only interest was his protection. 

I said "sit down," and he got this stonewall look on his face.  And the battle was joined, the showdown had begun.  I'll spare you the whole story, but I told him several times to sit down sometimes sweetly sometimes more firmly that I should have.  I picked him up and swatted him on the bottom once.  There were more exhortations to sit down.  Then, three more swats followed by more exhortations.  I went and got this small dowel that we use for spankings.  More exhortations and a physical reminder of what was coming came next.  "Do you want a spanking?"  I don't know how many spankings occurred.  Lots of tears and wailing were present.  I was questioning whether or not Elijah even knew what we were talking about anymore.  Maybe I'm crazy expecting him to understand.  At one point I picked him up and moved him gently from the standing position to the sitting position, trying to make sure he really knew what "sit" meant.  Finally, he sat down.  And he did the most startling thing.  He spun himself around in the chair where his back was to me and he buried his face against the chair.  His little hand was holding on to one of the railings.  I was mistaken that he had been crying before.  At that moment, he started wailing and sobbing.  He had surrendered his will and obeyed and it really broke him.

It had been okay for him that time I forced him to sit down.  It's kind of like when we tell God, "make me this or make me that."  But sometimes, all God wants is our obedience.  To obey is better than sacrifice.

The reason I tell you this story is that at that moment of Elijah's brokenness, I was moved with the most powerful feeling of compassion.  I loved him more at that moment than ever.  Even though he had fought me tooth and nail over a simple request, when he finally yielded and was broken, I was moved.  I called to him and said, "Oh, Elijah, come here, it will be alright."  And, I didn't have to tell him that twice.  He spun back around and before I could reach him (even though I was sitting in the chair right next to him), he had jumped up and just dove into my arms.  I held him and he held me, tight.  He cried for a short time and then stopped, and I just kept holding him and holding him.  Finally, I loosened my grip, but he squeezed even tighter.  I held him until he was fully comforted.

That is how we need to be with God.  We need to come to Him, run to Him.  He is the One Who is greater.  We can rest fully and securely in Him.  He is waiting to take us in His arms and hold us just as long as we need Him to.  We have overcome the world through Him by faith.  May we come to him first in every circumstance or challenge or even discipline that we face.

Let's get back to I John chapter 4:

They are from the world and therefore speak from the viewpoint of the world, and the world listens to them.  We are from God, and whoever knows God listens to us; but whoever is not from God does not listen to us. This is how we recognize the Spirit of truth and the spirit of falsehood.  I John 4:5-6

They are the false prophets.  Here is another view on how to recognize those who are not from God.  They are not willing to listen to the truth or engage in talking about the truth.  This last sentence is one of the key verses behind the cosmic battle that is talked about in the Truth Project.  There is one who came to testify to the truth, that is Jesus.  Then, there is the message of the world based on falsehood.

I told Bob Schmitt the other week that I had stopped worrying so much about what I was going to teach about on the Sunday's when I was going to give the message.  I told him that I found that God would give me what I needed according to each message.  This week was a really jam-packed week for me.  I told Melissa last Sunday the same thing I told Bob, God would just have to give me the message I needed to speak.  Let me just say that you have to be careful what you ask for (or boast about).

I drive a little 5-speed.  When you park it, you have to engage the parking brake.  I've had the car about 10 years.  So, I've put the brake on somewhere between 5 and 10,000 times.  It's a pretty natural action, a habit really. 

Monday I ran an errand at work.  I went into a small shop.  I started strolling through the store.  There was a window out toward the parking lot.  The lady at the cash register was next to the window.  She said, "Hey is that your car rolling across the parking lot?"  Well, I was the only person in the shop, and my car was the only one in the parking lot, so by deductive reasoning, it was easy to determine that, although improbable, it was likely that it must have been my car rolling across the parking lot.

As I looked up and started to move toward the door, the lady said, "Hey, I think it's going to hit that tree?"  At that point, my movements shifted from puzzlement to decided action.  As I made one quickened step, her voice took on that sound of finality of the past tense, "It hit the tree."  I launched out of the store to see my car sitting about 50 feet from where I parked it.  It had definitely moved. 

As I approached the car, I thought about what could have gone wrong.  Was the linkage broken, what was wrong with the parking brake that it couldn't hold the car​?  Before I even looked to see the damage, I opened the door and there, wonder of wonders, the parking brake handle sat obstinately in the down and released position.

There was nothing wrong with the car.  The problem was the operator.  The car went rolling because I didn't set the brake.  I didn't realize it because the parking lot was almost flat.  It was not entirely flat.  It was almost flat.  I had time to walk across a driveway around a small entry area and start perusing some vegetables before the car really started moving.

The Biblical application to my story is a warning to you, "Don't forget to set the parking brake in your mind against the spirit of falsehood."  James 1:6 says that when we ask God for wisdom (the Spirit of truth) we must believe and not doubt because that doubt will result in being tossed back and forth like a wave in the sea.  We need to set the parking brake on our doubt.  Do not let your doubts run rampant in your mind.  Confront those thoughts which run contrary to God and His nature.  Stop them before they pick up speed and start rolling out of control.  II Corinthians 10:5 sets the example that we are to demolish arguments and even pretensions that set themselves up against the knowledge of God.

If you want to study more on this subject, there is a great Faithwalkers devotional on it from last Sunday, March 16th.  You can find a copy on the information table, or you can go to gccweb.org and subscribe through your email to get that daily encouragement.  There are some real gems in those devotionals.

I want to warn you of the danger.  But thanks be to God, I want to encourage you as well.  My car hit the tree almost dead center of the bumper.  If my car had been about 4 feet further to the driver side, it would have wiped out a port-a-john.  If I had parked about 4 feet further to the passenger side, it would have gone over a small embankment through a barbed wire fence and out into a cow pasture.

The parking lot didn't have lines, so I was free to park anywhere.  I just "happened" to park exactly in line with a tree 50 feet behind me.  I made a mistake.  I didn't put on the parking brake, and the car went rolling.  I could only stop the car in my own strength if it had been moving very slowly.  Even if I had reached the car, depending on how fast it was rolling, it would have been a dangerous proposition to try and open the door and get in to stop the car.

Instead, God put a tree in the way and stopped the car for me.  I was able to get back in the car and drive away with no more than some cracked plastic on the bumper.  Philippians 4:7 tells us that as we bring all things to God in prayer, the peace of God will guard our hearts and our minds.  When we see that we can't stop the run away doubts and fears, we need to come to the Lord.  He is not far off.  He is near.  When we devote ourselves to Him and His ways, He will be toward us as it says in Isaiah 58:8, "Our righteous One will go before us and the glory of the Lord will be our rear guard."

Therefore ...
           
Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God.  Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God.  Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love.  I John 4:7-8

We as believers in God, ones who know God, we cannot help but reflect God's character.  Not just His character, but His very being, Who He is.  God is love.  We must love because God is in us and lives through us.

There is a song which covers these two verses.  It even includes the verse reference, so if you learn it, then you'll have the verse reference down, too.

What is the focus of our love that John highlights?  One another.  This is reminiscent of John 13:34-35 where Jesus gives the disciples a new commandment that we should love one another just as He has loved us.  If we love one another as Jesus loved us, others cannot help but know that we are His disciples.

This is how God showed His love among us: He sent his one and only Son into the world that we might live through Him.  This is love: not that we loved God, but that He loved us and sent His Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins.  I John 4:9-10

Here is a lovely summary of the good news.  God sent His Son, why?  That we might live through Him.  The act of Jesus coming and God the Father sending Him, this is the definition of love.

We often hear the joke of that if you look up something in the dictionary, a picture of someone or something would be found there.  Well, when you look up the word love, you ought to see a picture of Jesus or the cross.

Atonement means our reconciliation with God.  We are at one with God.  The separating barrier, the wall of our sin has been removed by Jesus' sacrifice.  We only need to put our faith in Jesus, believe that He died for us, then we are saved!

Dear friends, since God so loved us, we also ought to love one another.  No one has ever seen God; but if we love one another, God lives in us and His love is made complete in us.  
I John 4:11-12

We have no better example.  We have no greater inspiration.  As God has loved us and because God has loved us, we ought to love one another.  Through this loving process, God's life is worked out in our own and and His love is fixed in us.  If you want God in You and His love, then love those whom God has placed in Your family of believers, the body of Christ that you live and serve in.

A friend of mine at work passed along some writings from John Flavel who was a 17th century puritan preacher.  He wrote some compelling things about our hearts and how they work.  I thought I would share those.

For though grace has, in a great measure, rectified the soul, and given it an habitual heavenly temper; yet sin often actually discomposes it again; so that even a gracious heart is like a musical instrument, which though it be exactly tuned, a small matter brings it out of tune again; yea, hang it aside but a little, and it will need setting again before another lesson can be played upon it. If gracious hearts are in a desirable frame in one duty, yet how dull, dead, and disordered when they come to another! ... To keep the heart then, is carefully to preserve it from sin, which disorders it; and maintain that spiritual frame which fits it for a life of communion with God.

Do you take his meaning?  Grace has made a great many things right in our souls improving even our attitudes.  However, sin is still hanging around and messing things up.  I really liked the imagery of tuning an instrument.  Especially, when you think about how the weather affects the tuning of an instrument.  If it's a bit hotter, an instrument tends to run sharp.  If colder, then it usually runs flat.  Simply not playing an instrument will often result in it getting out of tune.

We easily can find that our hearts are okay in one situation, but when we face a different situation, we can be completely undone.  Proverbs 4:23 tells us that we must "Guard our hearts for everything that we do flows out of them."  A heart out of order, unguarded, will result in unpredictable behavior, anger and self-control issues.

We know that we live in Him and He in us, because He has given us of His Spirit.  And we have seen and testify that the Father has sent His Son to be the Savior of the world.  I John 4:13-14

We have both the Spirit in us and the testimony of many witnesses who have gone before us.  In the case of John, we have an eyewitness of the things that he saw, Jesus the Son of God who was born and died to be the Savior of the world.  It is assurance on top of assurance.

If anyone acknowledges that Jesus is the Son of God, God lives in them and they in God.  And so we know and rely on the love God has for us. God is love. Whoever lives in love lives in God, and God in them.  I John 4:15-16

Friday was Taryn's birthday.  She turned 17.  Seventeen!  Where did the time go?  I love her and am so proud of her.  Friday morning, as I was getting ready for work, I reflected on how she was such a little thing when she was born, just 6 lbs 9 oz.  My thoughts whisked me back to those days and what it was like bringing her home from the hospital.  I remember as we left, we were escorted out by a volunteer of the hospital.  She was an elderly lady in her late seventies or possibly early eighties.  She was bent over by osteoporosis.  I was 24 years old.  I remember thinking with disbelief, "They are actually going to let us walk out of here with a living breathing human being."  I took Taryn up and buckled her in the car seat.  She was so tiny that the seat just seemed to swallow her.  The buckles and straps were as big as she was.  It was a five point harness and the middle buckle was touching the buckle that went across her legs and waist.

As I stepped down from the car, the elderly volunteer said with a surprise, "Oh I almost forgot!  I need to check your car seat."  She then leaned over into the car and ever so gently wiggled the seat.  "There," she declared, "That's good."  My brain was racing with forces and accelerations and decelerations of what an accident might bring.  Her gentle tug could in no way prove that I had put the seat in correctly.  I remember standing there under that covered awning, keys in hand, my wife in the passenger seat, my baby buckled in the car seat, the nice lady walking back in the hospital with the wheelchair.  And there I was, responsible for life, not just my own, but my wife and now this infant girl.

Who would I rely upon?  Old Charlie Brown usually cuts right to the heart of the matter.  I remember him once praying in a cartoon.  "Who comforts the comforter?"  I found the comic strip after a brief search.  His prayer is not actually comfort but reassurer, but the meaning is nearly the same. Let's look at it together:


I think we all would agree that we need a reassurer.  Who do we rely on?  I think John give us clear direction.  "And so we know and rely on the love God has for us. God is love."

You all know by now that I rely often on Charles Spurgeon for insight and quotes.  I find that my own words and thoughts are inadequate, but Spurgeon is able even after more than a century to say it far better than I could.  So, I'm going to read from his words from the 19th century.

Nothing gives the believer so much joy as fellowship with Christ. He has enjoyment as others have in the common mercies of life, he can be glad both in God's gifts and God's works; but in all these separately, yea, and in all of them added together, he doth not find such substantial delight as in the matchless person of his Lord Jesus. He has wine which no vineyard on earth ever yielded; he has bread which all the corn-fields of Egypt could never bring forth. Where can such sweetness be found as we have tasted in communion with our Beloved?  In our esteem, the joys of earth are little better than husks for swine compared with Jesus, the heavenly manna. We would rather have one mouthful of Christ's love, and a sip of his fellowship, than a whole world full of carnal delights. What is the chaff to the wheat? What is the sparkling paste to the true diamond? What is a dream to the glorious reality?  What is time's mirth, in its best trim, compared to our Lord Jesus in His most despised estate? If you know anything of the inner life, you will confess that our highest, purest, and most enduring joys must be the fruit of the tree of life which is in the midst of the Paradise of God. No spring yields such sweet water as that well of God which was dug with the soldier's spear. All earthly bliss is of the earth earthy, but the comforts of Christ's presence are like Himself, heavenly. We can review our communion with Jesus, and find no regrets of emptiness therein; there are no dregs in this wine, no dead flies in this ointment. The joy of the Lord is solid and enduring. Vanity hath not looked upon it, but discretion and prudence testify that it abideth the test of years, and is in time and in eternity worthy to be called "the only true delight." For nourishment, consolation, exhilaration, and refreshment, no wine can rival the love of Jesus. Let us drink to the full.

What more shall I say?  David wrote in Psalm 63 that he would glorify God because God's love is better than life.  There is nothing to compare against it.  It is the pearl of great price.  Though it cost everything we have, it is worth every penny.  Though it means we must take up our cross daily and put to death the misdeeds of our flesh, it is worth that sacrifice and it is worth any shame or humiliation that we fear.  (Not that our fears of shame and humiliation are justified, for it says in Romans 10:11 that anyone who trusts in Him will never be put to shame.)

Brothers and sisters, we may and we must rely on God (Psalm 59).  He is our supply and our life.  Every good gift comes from Him (James 1:17).  Our hope will not disappoint (Rom 5:5).  We can depend on Him.

Let us pray:

Father God, Your precious promises are true.  You have demonstrated Your love for us in this that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.  God, help us to depend on You in every circumstance.  May we not be deceived by the lies and falsehoods of this world.  Let us keep our eyes fixed on You, the author and perfecter of our faith.  We praise Your Name, Jesus.  Amen.

No comments: