Sunday, March 17, 2013

Trials

John 18:28-19:16
We are continuing our series on the Book of John and today I am speaking on the trials that Jesus was subjected to as described in the passages from John 18:28 thru John 19:16. 

Last week Carl shared some very insightful information on the high priest Annas and how he and his family were connected with the lucrative business of exchanging money and selling the sacrifice animals at the temple.  This made even more sense of why they were looking for ways to kill Jesus as described in the verses in Mark 11:17 and 11:18 just after Jesus turned over the tables of the money changers and drove them out of the temple.

And as he taught them, he said, “Is it not written: “‘My house will be called a house of prayer for all nations’? But you have made it ‘a den of robbers.’” The chief priests and the teachers of the law heard this and began looking for a way to kill him, for they feared him, because the whole crowd was amazed at his teaching.--Mark 11:17 -18


According to the Ryrie Study Bible Expanded edition Jesus experienced or was subjected to 6 different trials.   Three of which were religious trials held by the Jewish leaders and two were civil trials held by the Roman Governor Pontius Pilate and one was held by the appointed Roman Official of Galilee named Herod the Tetrarch.

Since time is short and a picture is worth a thousand words I have placed a picture representing each of the various characters that were officiating at these six trials.


The first is Annas the High Priest.  So now let’s take up our story in John chapter 18

 Then the detachment of soldiers with its commander and the Jewish officials arrested Jesus. They bound him and brought him first to Annas, who was the father-in-law of Caiaphas, the high priest that year. Caiaphas was the one who had advised the Jews that it would be good if one man died for the people. Simon Peter and another disciple were following Jesus. Because this disciple was known to the high priest, he went with Jesus into the high priest’s courtyard, but Peter had to wait outside at the door. The other disciple, who was known to the high priest, came back, spoke to the girl on duty there and brought Peter in. “You are not one of his disciples, are you?” the girl at the door asked Peter. He replied, “I am not.” It was cold, and the servants and officials stood around a fire they had made to keep warm. Peter also was standing with them, warming himself. Meanwhile, the high priest questioned Jesus about his disciples and his teaching. “I have spoken openly to the world,” Jesus replied. “I always taught in synagogues or at the temple, where all the Jews come together. I said nothing in secret. Why question me? Ask those who heard me. Surely they know what I said.” When Jesus said this, one of the officials nearby struck him in the face. “Is this the way you answer the high priest?” he demanded. “If I said something wrong,” Jesus replied, “testify as to what is wrong. But if I spoke the truth, why did you strike me?” Then Annas sent him, still bound, to Caiaphas the high priest.--John 18:12-24 

So Annas found Jesus guilty and sent him on to his son-in-law Caiaphas for the second trial.

For clearer description of this second trial we must look at the passage recorded in the book of Matthew 26: 57-68:

Those who had arrested Jesus took him to Caiaphas, the high priest, where the teachers of the law and the elders had assembled. But Peter followed him at a distance, right up to the courtyard of the high priest. He entered and sat down with the guards to see the outcome. The chief priests and the whole Sanhedrin were looking for false evidence against Jesus so that they could put him to death. But they did not find any, though many false witnesses came forward. Finally two came forward and declared, “This fellow said, ‘I am able to destroy the temple of God and rebuild it in three days.’” Then the high priest stood up and said to Jesus, “Are you not going to answer? What is this testimony that these men are bringing against you?” But Jesus remained silent. The high priest said to him, “I charge you under oath by the living God: Tell us if you are the Christ, the Son of God.” “Yes, it is as you say,” Jesus replied. “But I say to all of you: In the future you will see the Son of Man sitting at the right hand of the Mighty One and coming on the clouds of heaven.” Then the high priest tore his clothes and said, “He has spoken blasphemy! Why do we need any more witnesses? Look, now you have heard the blasphemy. What do you think?” “He is worthy of death,” they answered. Then they spit in his face and struck him with their fists. Others slapped him and said, “Prophesy to us, Christ. Who hit you?”

Caiaphas found him guilty of the charge of blasphemy which carried the death sentence with it.

Next we look at the third and final trial by the religious leaders as recorded in Matthew 27:1-2. Jesus is sentenced to death by the Sanhedrin 

Early in the morning, all the chief priests and the elders of the people came to the decision to put Jesus to death. They bound him, led him away and handed him over to Pilate, the governor.--Matthew 27:1-2 

So the Sanhedrin made the death sentence legal in their own eyes.  However as Carl pointed out last week there was nothing legal about any of these proceedings.  The elders being guilty of sin and breaking the law were accusing and condemning Jesus who was innocent.  However, they could not kill Jesus for the Romans forbade them to execute anyone.  

Next we move on to the first of three civil trials held by the Roman Court.  Here we pick up our story again back in the book of John.

John 18:28-38; Jesus found not guilty by the Roman Governor Pontius Pilate:

Then the Jews led Jesus from Caiaphas to the palace of the Roman governor. By now it was early morning, and to avoid ceremonial uncleanness the Jews did not enter the palace; they wanted to be able to eat the Passover. So Pilate came out to them and asked, “What charges are you bringing against this man?” “If he were not a criminal,” they replied, “we would not have handed him over to you.” Pilate said, “Take him yourselves and judge him by your own law.” “But we have no right to execute anyone,” the Jews objected. This happened so that the words Jesus had spoken indicating the kind of death he was going to die would be fulfilled. Pilate then went back inside the palace, summoned Jesus and asked him, “Are you the king of the Jews?” “Is that your own idea,” Jesus asked, “or did others talk to you about me?” “Am I a Jew?” Pilate replied. “It was your people and your chief priests who handed you over to me. What is it you have done?” Jesus said, “My kingdom is not of this world. If it were, my servants would fight to prevent my arrest by the Jews. But now my kingdom is from another place." “You are a king, then!” said Pilate. Jesus answered, “You are right in saying I am a king. In fact, for this reason I was born, and for this I came into the world, to testify to the truth. Everyone on the side of truth listens to me.” “What is truth?” Pilate asked. With this he went out again to the Jews and said, “I find no basis for a charge against him.

Pilate declares Jesus not guilty.

Now for the description of the second civil trial we need to look at Luke 23:4-12. Jesus judged by Herod Antipas (also known as Herod the Tetrarch of Galilee)

Then Pilate announced to the chief priests and the crowd, “I find no basis for a charge against this man.” But they insisted, “He stirs up the people all over Judea by his teaching. He started in Galilee and has come all the way here.” On hearing this, Pilate asked if the man was a Galilean. When he learned that Jesus was under Herod’s jurisdiction, he sent him to Herod, who was also in Jerusalem at that time. When Herod saw Jesus, he was greatly pleased, because for a long time he had been wanting to see him. From what he had heard about him, he hoped to see him perform some miracle. He plied him with many questions, but Jesus gave him no answer. The chief priests and the teachers of the law were standing there, vehemently accusing him. Then Herod and his soldiers ridiculed and mocked him. Dressing him in an elegant robe, they sent him back to Pilate. That day Herod and Pilate became friends—before this they had been enemies.

Herod found Jesus not guilty and sent Him back to Pilate.

So now we come to the third and final trail by Pilate in the Roman court.  Pilate says in John 18:39-40:
 
But it is your custom for me to release to you one prisoner at the time of the Passover. Do you want me to release ‘the king of the Jews’?” They shouted back, “No, not him! Give us Barabbas!” Now Barabbas had taken part in a rebellion.



Then Pilate took Jesus and had him flogged. The soldiers twisted together a crown of thorns and put it on his head. They clothed him in a purple robe and went up to him again and again, saying, “Hail, king of the Jews!” And they struck him in the face. Once more Pilate came out and said to the Jews, “Look, I am bringing him out to you to let you know that I find no basis for a charge against him.” When Jesus came out wearing the crown of thorns and the purple robe, Pilate said to them, “Here is the man!” As soon as the chief priests and their officials saw him, they shouted, “Crucify! Crucify!”--John 19:1-5




But Pilate answered, “You take him and crucify him. As for me, I find no basis for a charge against him.” The Jews insisted, “We have a law, and according to that law he must die, because he claimed to be the Son of God.” When Pilate heard this, he was even more afraid, and he went back inside the palace. “Where do you come from?” he asked Jesus, but Jesus gave him no answer. “Do you refuse to speak to me?” Pilate said. “Don’t you realize I have power either to free you or to crucify you?” Jesus answered, “You would have no power over me if it were not given to you from above. Therefore the one who handed me over to you is guilty of a greater sin.” From then on, Pilate tried to set Jesus free, but the Jews kept shouting, “If you let this man go, you are no friend of Caesar. Anyone who claims to be a king opposes Caesar.” When Pilate heard this, he brought Jesus out and sat down on the judge’s seat at a place known as the Stone Pavement (which in Aramaic is Gabbatha). It was the day of Preparation of Passover Week, about the sixth hour. “Here is your king,” Pilate said to the Jews. But they shouted, “Take him away! Take him away! Crucify him!” “Shall I crucify your king?” Pilate asked. “We have no king but Caesar,” the chief priests answered. Finally Pilate handed him over to them to be crucified.--John 19:6-16


 
So here again Pilate finds Jesus not guilty again but this time he turns Him over to the Jews and give them to have Jesus crucified by the Roman soldiers.

It does us little good to look at these trials if we can’t learn (from Jesus’ example) how to handle the many trials in our everyday life.

Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider him who endured such opposition from sinful men, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.--Hebrews 12:2

So looking at the trials that Jesus endured we must each ask ourselves the question each day “What kind of trial am I facing and how should I respond?”

I have made a list of some of the most common trials that I personally am facing or have faced in the not too distant past. You may find yourself facing one or more of these same trials in your life.


1. The trial of physical pain and illness (In my case many of these are due to accidents or injury that I have experienced in the past or just the common sufferings that were brought on me due to germs that I have picked up along life’s highway or due to just growing old.) 

2. The trial of emotional pain due to the death of a close friend or close relative or close co-worker 

3. The trial of  being unjustly treated by the unbelieving world or having  my motives being questioned or misunderstood 

4. The temptation to desire things that others have and I want but I know that are not the best 

5. The trial of Satan accusing me or another Christian either in my sleep or during the day

I will attempt to examine each of these trials individually and relate them to the trials that Jesus suffered, but first I want to share a passage about the reason that God allows us to experience trials in our lives and the proper response to them.  It is found in the book of James.

Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. --James 1:2-4 

The trial of physical pain and illness

Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles (afflictions), so that we can comfort those in any trouble (afflictions) with the comfort we ourselves have received from God. --II Corinthians 1:3-4

According to Hebrews 12:2, fixing my eyes on Jesus and the pain and suffering He endured and knowing it was for the joy that was set before Him, and knowing that my pain and suffering do not even come close to His but it has joy associated with it, I have been comforted by others who have experienced similar pain and suffering. I, like them, will be able to comfort others who are going through similar afflictions.

The trial of emotional pain due to the death of a close friend or close relative or close co-worker

Charles Spurgeon wrote: “Sad hearts have peculiar skill in discovering the most disadvantageous point of view from which to gaze upon a trial”

(Before I came here to Clemson I experienced the loss of both my grandparents on my mother’s side and both my grandparents on my father’s side all of my aunts and uncles on my mother’s side and my uncles on my father’s side and all but one of my aunts on my father’s sided and my brother George who was a marine killed in Vietnam.  Since I have been here in Clemson I have experienced the loss of my mother and father, my sister Claire, my younger brother Glen, and the loss of more than a dozen co-workers.  I have been asked to either speak or officiate at quite a few funerals both for believers and for unbelievers)

Like Jesus, as described in Isaiah 53:3, I am also a man of sorrows acquainted with grief.

He was despised and forsaken of men, a man of sorrows and acquainted with grief; And like one from whom men hide their face He was despised, and we did not esteem Him.--Isaiah 53:3 

We can see that Jesus experienced grief, but why do we have to experience grief?

Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! In His great mercy He has given us new birth into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, and into an inheritance that can never perish, spoil or fade—kept in heaven for you, who through faith are shielded by God’s power until the coming of the salvation that is ready to be revealed in the last time. In this you greatly rejoice, though now for a little while you may have had to suffer grief in all kinds of trials. These have come so that your faith—of greater worth than gold, which perishes even though refined by fire—may be proved genuine and may result in praise, glory and honor when Jesus Christ is revealed. Though you have not seen Him, you love Him; and even though you do not see Him now, you believe in Him and are filled with an inexpressible and glorious joy, for you are receiving the goal of your faith, the salvation of your souls.--I Peter 1:3-9

The trail of being unjustly treated by the unbelieving world or having my motives being questioned or misunderstood 

But make up your mind not to worry beforehand how you will defend yourselves. For I will give you words and wisdom that none of your adversaries will be able to resist or contradict. You will be betrayed even by parents, brothers, relatives and friends, and they will put some of you to death. All men will hate you because of me. But not a hair of your head will perish. By standing firm you will gain life.--Luke 21:14-19

From the six trials mentioned earlier, I see that Jesus was unjustly treated by unbelievers and His motives were questioned by others and misunderstood by many.  Yet He did not worry or defend Himself.  So then, from His example in these six trials and from the advice that He gave us in this recorded passage in Luke, I should not worry either. 

The temptation to desire things that others have and I want but I know that are not the best for me

Do not love the world or anything in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. For everything in the world—the cravings of sinful man, the lust of his eyes and the boasting of what he has and does—comes not from the Father but from the world. The world and its desires pass away, but the man who does the will of God lives forever. --John 2:15-17

Jesus was tempted to by Satan and by Pilate to use His power to free Himself but He knew that was not the will of the Father and He loved the father and His desire to do the Father’s will overcame the temptation to have the things that Satan and the world offered Him.

Therefore when I am tempted to desire things in this world I need to fix my eyes on Jesus and follow his example on doing the will of the Father instead of falling into the trap of desiring to do my own will.   Jesus knew that He was going to live forever.  I also know that I am going to live forever by what Jesus said in John 2:17.

The trial of Satan accusing me or another Christian either in my sleep or during the day 

Then I heard a loud voice in heaven, saying, "Now the salvation, and the power, and the kingdom of our God and the authority of His Christ have come, for the accuser of our brethren has been thrown down, he who accuses them before our God day and night.”--Revelation 12:10

So, if you think you are standing firm, be careful that you don’t fall! No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it.--I Corinthians 10:12-13

If I am experiencing a trial or temptation from Satan, I feel like I am overwhelmed and surrounded by the enemy.

Submit yourselves, then, to God.  Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. James 4:7

So when I feel like I am trapped and surround by the enemy and can’t get out, I need to see that the enemy has no power over me and this cage that had me trapped is like a soap bubble that will easily burst and the enemy will flee from me if I only resist him.

“The Lord knows how to rescue godly men from trials”--II Peter 2:9 

And He will!

No comments: